• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #19

47 posts in this topic

Well what would a list of Top Bronze Covers be without Mr. Bernie Wrightson - not as good. 27_laughing.gif Wrightson makes his inaugural presence in the Poll with this Cover from House of Secrets. Again this cover was very close and fought it out with 6-8 others for position in the Top 20 - in the end the Wrightson faithful came through. hail.gif

Thanks to Zonker for the nomination. thumbsup2.gif

HOS96.jpg

The scariest part about this one is the white, ghostly area at the bottom...spooooky.... crazy.gif

Tim all I can say is that the grouping from 19-26ish was very tight, but I believe the character traits of the board came through in this area, we do have a strong DC BA Horror presence - In fact all I will say at this point is that I think that the BA DC Horror presence is understated if anything in this poll by the people that did not choose to participate.

Hmm. I like the forced perspective of the Batman cover better than the Wrightson one. (I'm a big Wrightson fan though.) I don't think Wrightson accounted spatially for this cover which mars it in my opinion.

(There has to be room for the chair behind the desk for a person to sit down which means that the distance between the desk and the wall is too large for that particular ghoul/perspective especially considering where that lamp SHOULD be.) [and the shadow cast by the lamp and chair]

It's just a curiously flattened drawing.

The scariest part about this one is the white, ghostly area at the bottom...spooooky.... crazy.gif

Hey I didnt take the scan talk to Bob Storms. How about the census data - Not a lot of copies in high grade. In fact if you google House of Secrets 96 - know what comes up first? My Master list of nominations thread on the CGC Forums grin.gif

Having said that, this cover does really epitomize the creepiness and dark inks etc that was so prevalent in the BA for DC and so loved on these boards. Its not my personal favorite Wrightson HOS, but it is a great cover.

Hey I didnt take the scan talk to Bob Storms. How about the census data - Not a lot of copies in high grade. In fact if you google House of Secrets 96 - know what comes up first? My Master list of nominations thread on the CGC Forums grin.gif

Having said that, this cover does really epitomize the creepiness and dark inks etc that was so prevalent in the BA for DC and so loved on these boards. Its not my personal favorite Wrightson HOS, but it is a great cover.

Scan thief sumo.gif

Okay, if you guys are underwhelmed, it is probably because we are ON COVER 19!! Geez, don't expect to get excited until covers 10 and lower.
Out of how many Bronze Age books?

Okay, if you guys are underwhelmed, it is probably because we are ON COVER 19!! Geez, don't expect to get excited until covers 10 and lower.
Out of how many Bronze Age books?
popcorn.gif

Out of 80 covers nominated - look all I can say is some people chose to vote some didn't. I cast my 5 just like everyone else - constructive crticism is cool, but if you didnt vote and then whine about results confused.gif kinda seems counterproductive to me. I did everything and then some to make everyone aware this was going on, just ask Rick how dilligent I was in getting the vote out, he'll tell you till your nauseous.

Tim all I can say is that the grouping from 19-26ish was very tight, but I believe the character traits of the board came through in this area, we do have a strong DC BA Horror presence - In fact all I will say at this point is that I think that the BA DC Horror presence is understated if anything in this poll by the people that did not choose to participate.

Don't get me wrong, I fully expect DC BA Horror to have decent representation in this contest, given the quality of the work that was done on the covers. I just didn't think this one was one of the better DC BA Horror covers.

Out of 80 covers nominated - look all I can say is some people chose to vote some didn't. I cast my 5 just like everyone else - constructive crticism is cool, but if you didnt vote and then whine about results confused.gif kinda seems counterproductive to me. I did everything and then some to make everyone aware this was going on, just ask Rick how dilligent I was in getting the vote out, he'll tell you till your nauseous.

thumbsup2.gif

Relax, Jason. Doing anything on these boards is going to be a thankless task because someone will always be sniping. I think it's great you had the initiative to run this contest, and any critical comments I have will be about the covers, not the contest or the selection system.

Although I still think it would be cool to know how many votes or points each cover received, so we can get a sense of whether a selection was strongly supported across the board or just strongly supported by a small faction.

J - don't even bother respond to any criticism on the logistics in carrying out this poll, haters are everywhere but everyone (even those that didn't vote!) appreciate the effort and look forward to the results.

I love the theme of this cover with the ghouls coming out of the painting, and on copies with good color saturation the blue background really stands out. Doesn't blow me away but I agree with the order of the winners thus far!

I didn't pick it but can see it in the bottom end of the Top 20... confused-smiley-013.gif

And I voted by the way... smirk.gif

I will echo Gene's request to release these a little more quickly though...20 days is a little extreme. I thought you'd release all of them at once...

Jim

(There has to be room for the chair behind the desk for a person to sit down which means that the distance between the desk and the wall is too large for that particular ghoul/perspective especially considering where that lamp SHOULD be.) [and the shadow cast by the lamp and chair]

It's just a curiously flattened drawing.

Ha! I never noticed the problem with the lighting & shadows before, but you're right-- that's a technical problem, there should be another light source to make the shadowing work. But I don't have a problem with the depth perspective on the chair/wall/desk. confused-smiley-013.gif

I do like the color scheme on this one, as well as the textures and highlights. The kids in danger theme is of course over-used in the 1968-1972 period, but here it really adds to the effect. There's the one kid in the foreground, his pals are in the background, but drawn so sketchily that they don't seem to be available to help him out. And where are they? Look at the gothic architecture through the window. The menacing ghoul coming out of the painting is a trick that'll get me every time. Something about contradicting those long-ago childhood reassurances: Don't worry little guy, it's only a picture ...

Finally, there is the fact this book is one of the first half-dozen purchased for me when I first got exposed to comics in the early 1970s. Which might explain why I nominated it, but wouldn't explain all the other votes it apparently received.