• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will your wives let you do with this hobby?

37 posts in this topic

Two lesbians walked into my work today...lets just say it wasn't pretty makepoint.gif893frustrated.gifinsane.gif

893offtopic1.gif

I think. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Watcha' talkin' 'bout. Started out like some kinda' joke or something.

Look above tongue.gif

My wife is great with me collecting and occasionally reads books if they are entertaining. She just finished reading the TPB of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and was blown away that a comic could be as well written and creative.

As with any hobby or interests, if your spouse is involved with them, it tends to bring you closer. grin.gif

Mrs. Donut pretty much "lets" me do whatever I want with this hobby. The fact that you guys all have to have your wives "let" you do something is stunningly amusing.

Does your wife work? Do you pool your money, or do you have yours and she has hers? And if you split the money up, how do you decide how much each of you get?

Not trying to be nosy...these are the things I've been trying to figure out the best way to manage once I get married, and I don't really know the best way to manage it.

Mrs. Donut pretty much "lets" me do whatever I want with this hobby. The fact that you guys all have to have your wives "let" you do something is stunningly amusing.

Does your wife work? Do you pool your money, or do you have yours and she has hers? And if you split the money up, how do you decide how much each of you get?

Not trying to be nosy...these are the things I've been trying to figure out the best way to manage once I get married, and I don't really know the best way to manage it.

My wife works, and makes about 20% more than I do (and I'm not doing badly). We pool all the money, although Flying Donut money is more mine than hers. Most of my purchases come out of the Flying Donut pool, but she also taps that. Its all one big pot of cash. She spends more than I do, but what can you do.

I'm struggling with the same thing right now. We were married in December, and have other goals we're also trying to acheive (better house, start to have kids, etc). She can't see that while we're saving for these things, why I would want to spend money on something as stupid as comics. (Now that I type it, it doesn't sound very smart.)

But she hates me spending time with my comics. I too get the "talking to your internet comic nerds" line from time to time. "You don't even know these weirdos, why do you want to talk with them? Why wouldn't you rather spend time with your wife?" Then, I went and got Sim City 4 this weekend, and spent a few hours figuring that out. Another no-no. "Oh great, you found another way to waste more time. Why don't you clean up instead?"

We used to just have a joint account, but I would get in trouble if she saw that I spent $20 on comics. How was I going to spend $100 or more? We have the money, she just thinks that's alot to spend on something as stupid as comics. So now we have the main account for bills, and we each have our own account. She hates it, but goes along with it. She thinks it's stupid to keep track of so many accounts. But I'm trying to save for the ComiCon!!!

We pool all the money,

This, in my opinion, is the only way for a working family to really bank the cash. Splitting it up is a quick way to wake up when you're 50 and wonder where it all went. 893whatthe.gif

Been married 10 years at the end of the month and the wife has never had a problem with me spending $$ on the hobby...especially after I got to the point where I sold enough books to make it a self-perpetuating pursuit. wink.gif She doesn't like comics herself, but she did buy me my first Timely - a great looking copy of Sub-mariner #11 (Schomburg Dragon cover).

Now, I may be pushing it, but for Mother's Day I bought her a desk for her library of "photo album" paraphanelia - albums, pictures, stickers, and every knick-knack and doo-dad available for scrapbooking. Now while that's certainly a good thing, the catch is that I'll be putting it in our kids bonus/playroom, after which time our home office becomes mine...mine I tell you...ALL MINE!!! EVILLE.gif

My 0.02 on the pooling/separate money thing is to pool all money. As spouses, all the money should be in one pot anyway, and if you're in a community property state, all post-wedding money is legally owned by one "entity": the marriage.

That said, if the wife doesn't approve of buying comics, you have to negotiate. Marriage is a million compromises. My wife and I have the $100 rule, which started when we were first married and broke, namely: if you want to spend over $100 on something, you have to consult the spouse. The rule is looser now than it was when we were first married because we're out of debt and doing decently now, but it does promote openness with the finances and spending, which is a good thing considering many marriages go down the tubes on money issues.

The $100 rules does make buying some high-end comics difficult. Let's just say I have quite a few really nice $80 books.

You have to be careful........DON"T buy comics with "shared" money. If you do so, she owns 50% of your collection. Keep "ownership" of ALL your comics. Do you think that your wife would agree that you own 50% of her jewellery? Ask her, and see what she says.................. 893whatthe.gif

I'm not married, but my live in girlfriend (my soon to be fiance) is very cool with my collection. She scans ebay and surprizes me with lots of comicbook presents.

She reads Simpsons, Futurama, some other DC cartoon network stuff and Dc;s Harley Quinn, plus some of the 1980s Marvel/Star comics....I'm slowly trying to get her to read some of my good stuff. lol.

She gets pissed that there really is not that many female characters based on an original Idea....and for this reason she dipises, spidergirl, spiderwoman, hawk woman, supergirl, batwoman, batgirl, etc, etc etc..... rantpost.gif

My wife sees my collecting habits as a positive sign of domesticity (coming up to 8 years married). She likes nothing more than to see me in the beatup armchair in her workshop reading while she fixes up or restores some piece of furniture she found in a St Vinnies or lifeline shop.

She also likes the fact that it is a hobby that I can share with my two boys. She gets a real kick out of the fact that the 4 year old has already worn out two spidey costumes this year (not bad for less than 5 months).

She also participates in my obsession by building and finding storage facilities to house all my purchases.

893offtopic1.gifGot her a brand new angle grinder for mother's day and she was rapt.

I'm not married, but my live in girlfriend (my soon to be fiance) is very cool with my collection. She scans ebay and surprizes me with lots of comicbook presents.

She reads Simpsons, Futurama, some other DC cartoon network stuff and Dc;s Harley Quinn, plus some of the 1980s Marvel/Star comics....I'm slowly trying to get her to read some of my good stuff. lol.

She gets pissed that there really is not that many female characters based on an original Idea....and for this reason she dipises, spidergirl, spiderwoman, hawk woman, supergirl, batwoman, batgirl, etc, etc etc..... rantpost.gif

I think you should keep her.....but you already know that. grin.gif

Congratulations.

Check Top Cow - Witchblade, Fathom, Tomb Raider, The Magdalena Or the now defunct Chaos books - Lady Death, purgatori, chastity. what about Vampirella - nah not original really...these are a far stretch from Star Comics. Which I thnk are pretty good. Different strokes for different folks. You don't want a female clone of you around. Let her enjoy what she likes and support that smile.gif And if she really wants an original female character, Cherry Poptart has always been tops in my book wink.gif