• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will your wives let you do with this hobby?

37 posts in this topic

Ubiquiti started a post on what you're able to do when the wife's away. So....it got me to thinking how much (or little) control they have or you allow them to have on this hobby of comic collecting. I kinda felt because I was able to do most of those things ubiquiti could only do when she's away, I was kinda wondering how I have things in general compared to the rest of you guys. (ladies?)

For example,

Not only did I spend $13,000.00 in back issues a couple years ago in a matter of 2 - 3 months, but my wife actually introduced me to the seller. And...she was genuinely happy about my purchase. I don't know, is that something truly spectacular or would your wives have a fit if you did this?

And just to add a bit of spice to this post, what have they allowed you to get away with as far as this great hobby goes and what have they NOT allowed you to do.

Come on guys, let's share. grin.gif

Ive spent quite a bit of "my" money on books in HG I wanted just b/c I wanted em. My wife allows me to spend some of her money too on some "risky" bronze age investments from time to time (as opposed to both of us loosing quite a bit from our money fund this past year). I also keep a health $45/50 a month comic subscription from Daves Comics. She doesn't mind that. Nor does she mind that I have my office decorated with a silly, but I think cool spidey in black costume poster here and there. Neither does she mind that I keep a health stack of current reading issues /trade paperbacks near the can for our reading pleasure during spectacular moments. Ironically she does mind when I watch Justice League and stuff like that on TV for some reason. I guess we have to draw the line at watching cartoons rather than reading them.. Oh yea, and is down with me going to conventions and stuff in other towns as long as I take her to dinner in what ever city we end up at.

I should clarify one thing - I can do all those things I posted(except maybe the dishes and laundry thing - I'm lazy) when my wife is in town - just not for a 6 hour stretch - for example. The wife wants her feet rubbed, wants to hang out with me when I am not totally consumed in Grand Theft Auto or to use my wife's quote "talking to my little comic friends on the internet".

She is actually quite non-controlling, but sometimes I want to only think about me and my selfish little habits and needs.

That said - my wife has no problem with me collecting comics at all. We actually keep our finances separate - we have a joint checking accoung for mortgage, auto insurance, utilities, groceries, etc. If I were to drop(which I wouldn't because I am a cheap-skate) say $500 on one comic - while she would think I could have spent that moeny better and would think it was inconceivable to spend so much on one comic book - she would be fine with it after she called me a geek or something. wink.gif

I'n not married, but my girlfriend has been very supportive of my interest in comics. She bought me a one-year subscription to my favourite titles from Marvel. She allowed me to use her Paypal account(credit card) to purchase books that I couldn't otherwise afford. She picked me up a couple of Hulk figures last time she was at Toys'R'Us. Just yesterday, she stopped at a garage sale, and bought me 50+ unread moderns. One day we were talking about my passion for comic books, and I said: "I have two passions....comic books and YOU." cloud9.gif

One day we were talking about my passion for comic books, and I said: "I have two passions....comic books and YOU." cloud9.gif

Yeah, she sure sounds special, just like mine. cloud9.gifgrin.gif

Well I'm now engaged so..we'll see but since 90 percent of all our money is from my side..I think she'll know well enough to let me spend the money as I please..lest she forget...we have a prenuptial!!! tongue.gif

Brian

Conratulations Brian. They're happy enough to let you do your thing as along as they in turn are allowed to do their's... and there are no money problems to speak of.

If you get caught up from time to time and lose track (neglect them briefly) or put them 2nd too often... you'll hear about it 893naughty-thumb.gif

My Wife has been very supportive, but would like me to sell more of my books to buy things she'd like too (new kitchen/bathroom, pool for the kids)... that's to be expected. Every so often buy them something from Comic profit and they'll be satisifed cloud9.gif... for awhile makepoint.gif

Every so often buy them something from Comic profit and they'll be satisifed cloud9.gif... for awhile makepoint.gif

Probably not what you had in mind, but early in our marriage, about 20 years ago..we needed cash to pay for our house tax one year. The only way we could do it was for me to sell some Silver Age comics. I think ever since then, when she actually saw someone pay me big dollars for old comics, she' been very supportive. It actually helped us out of a jam. Probably had a lot to do with her allowing me to go with that big purchase. Most of the comics I bought, were the one's I sold 20 years ago.

Well I'm now engaged so..

Another one bites the dust..... crazy.gif

WOW!!!!...I'm just surprised that so many of you guys made it out of your parent's basements and actualy got married... 27_laughing.gif

Just remember, we've only covered off point #2. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

My wife encourages me to buy modern comics because she loves reading them now. Every Saturday when I come in from work she asks, "was there a new Daredevil yet?"

She's pleased with my collection, and equally as impressed with my recent acquisition of an AF15, but buying expensive comics is out of the question for us because of children and bills and home repairs.

I raise money selling my own art on Ebay, and I can use that to re-invest in comics. But I don't skim comics money off our checking account because we can't afford it. She agrees, however, that comics will likely be our investment-of-choice once we pay off our credit debts.

If it wasn't for punk rock and law school, I probably would never have gotten married. smile.gif

My wife tolerates the comics at best. She has no interest in superheroes and only a small interest in the duck books. She's happy when the long boxes are stuck in the closet, out of sight. Bummer, but I wouldn't give her up, in two weeks it will be ten years. grin.gif

I don't have a wife, but if I did, it would make Darth very happy.

I don't think he's the only one... 27_laughing.gif

Mrs. Donut pretty much "lets" me do whatever I want with this hobby. The fact that you guys all have to have your wives "let" you do something is stunningly amusing.

The fact that you guys all have to have your wives "let" you do something is stunningly amusing.

I think it all depends on what "family budget" school you come from. I'm a spender, and early on in our relationship, my gal put her foot down and got us on the right track. All our money is in one pool, and if either of us wants anything, it's got to be mutually agreed upon. As in I ask for X and then she gets Y. grin.gif

Now some people can't live like that, and most of my friends us the "mine and hers" to divide the cash in two, and each contribute to the bills and expenses.

To each his/her own, but I know that using the old European way of family saving, we've banked a nice chunk of cash, own a house, cars, etc. clear, with no debt, and wouldn't want it any other way.

So yeah, I feel my wife more than deserves a say in how I spend money on comics.

Mrs. Donut pretty much "lets" me do whatever I want with this hobby. The fact that you guys all have to have your wives "let" you do something is stunningly amusing.

Well, Mr. Donut, I find it stunningly amusing that your wife "lets" you do whatever you want. grin.gif

All kidding aside, I feel your situation may be a bit different. Seems to me your using this hobby as a source of income, no?