• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #10

34 posts in this topic

Ok, prelims are over time, time for the Top 10. While BWS was revamping sword and sorcery and the artists studio was revamping everything else, there was some guy named John Romita doing what he does best. Nobody draws a show down fight scene in comics better than JR and enough forumites agreed to give his classic Thor / Hulk battle Cover in Defenders 10 the nod for the first book in the Top 10.

Thanks to BronzeBruce for the nomination. headbang.gifthumbsup2.gif

Defenders10.jpg

confused.gif

This makes the top ten??????

Let the Marvel bashers begin...........

As for me, I'm a Marvel Junkie and this cover doesn't make my top 40/50 covers.

The concept of Hulk vs Thor is fine but this cover isn't that dynamic. Heck, they could probably redo those poses in a Greek sauna and not have to change positions. poke2.gif

That's a surprising choice from my PoV. You guys really like this one more than either of the BWS Conan examples thus far? confused-smiley-013.gif

Definitely not sumo.gif

Methinks we hath been betrayed by our voting minions! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

HULK SMASH #10 sumo.gif

Defenders TEN as #10??? blush.gifcrazy.gif

When I saw this cover I thought "I can only imagine the DC/Marvel flamewar that will be going on in this thread when I check it tomorrow." 27_laughing.gif Not my cup of tea but we all like what we like, right guys?

i don't think that cover would make my top 100. sure, it's a nice Romita, but the subject matter is extra-ordinary.

as in 'more ordinary than ordinary'

Yeah, this isn't one of my favorite covers, much less my favorite Hulk battle cover. I think the character bubbles ruin the cover.

I agree . . . but I'm still gonna buy every copy available grin.gif Why? The Green Behemoth vs. the The Thunder-God, that's why sumo.gif

Great cover! I love Romita's covers from the 70's. There's something rough and raw about them, and yet still comic-booky. thumbsup2.gif

This one is in my top 10, at least of the choices we had. And yes I picked it over Barry Smith, who I liked as a kid, but now find too fussy/delicate/boring. confused-smiley-013.gif

I just read Essential Avengers as well, and enjoyed it, so that may be influencing me too.

Well, I voted for it and it was my #1 vote. Classic Romita Hulk / Thor cover, always liked it. I know I wasn't the only one voting for this cover or it wouldn't have cracked the top ten.

So, now I've had 1 each of my DC and Marvel covers in the top 20. I think it will just keep getting more interesting and I can't wait for the ultimate flame war-athon that is bound to occur when the first place cover is announced.

confused.gif

This makes the top ten??????

Let the Marvel bashers begin...........

As for me, I'm a Marvel Junkie and this cover doesn't make my top 40/50 covers.

The concept of Hulk vs Thor is fine but this cover isn't that dynamic. Heck, they could probably redo those poses in a Greek sauna and not have to change positions. poke2.gif

I agree. I am a Marvel guy, but this cover really doesn't do anything for me.