• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #7

35 posts in this topic

Yeah . . . like ASM #136 acclaim.gif

I think someone on here needs to understand the meaning of "key issue".

Just for a quick refresher, go look up the values of HoS 92 and ASM 136 in CGC 9.2-9.6, then come back. Obviously, according to your above statement, they will be equivalent, right?

Yeah . . . like ASM #136 acclaim.gif

I think someone on here needs to understand the meaning of "key issue".

Just for a quick refresher, go look up the values of HoS 92 and ASM 136 in CGC 9.2-9.6, then come back. Obviously, according to your above statement, they will be equivalent, right?

Uh, yeah . . . just like Action #1 and ASM #129 27_laughing.gif

screwy.gif Someone needs to be refreshed . . . and it's not me 27_laughing.gif

Thought I would post some of the Line Art if I could find it. Here is the cover to HOS 92 which I think does it a lot more justice.

Stephen Fishler owns this piece.

houseofsecretsC92.jpg

Thought I would post some of the Line Art if I could find it. Here is the cover to HOS 92 which I think does it a lot more justice.

Stephen Fishler owns this piece.

houseofsecretsC92.jpg

Much more subtle and impressive than the printed version in color. I do think that that it's very difficult to separate the emotional attachment to Swamp Thing, the Wrightson run, the Alan Moore issues, etc when trying to define its place on the list of covers.

In its "native" form this piece truly excels. Pieces such as Swamp Thing #3 and #5 have truly amazing line work to them, which can be seen through the colors. So, to me are more representative of Wrightson's style.

In its "native" form this piece truly excels.

Sure, but as we're voting on comic book covers, and not OA, that amounts to approximately 2.5 dead flies.

That is the reason I didn't vote for it. I looked at all the covers. In fact, I wouldn't have voted for the one nomination I made, if I were given a choice. Though it was good, it wasn't a Top 5 piece.

In fact, I wouldn't have voted for the one nomination I made, if I were given a choice.

Don't feel bad, as I made 3 freaking nominations before I found out I was snookered into voting for them. Talk about a sucker. grin.gif

Sure, but as we're voting on comic book covers, and not OA, that amounts to approximately 2.5 dead flies.

I voted for it, though I think I was unduly influenced by repeated viewings of the original at Metropolis. sorry.gif

If I had never seen the original, I doubt I would have voted for it. It's one of the few pen & ink pieces that I think looks better without the color, as it actually has different tones & shades that allows it to stand on its own. I'll never understand OA zombies who think linework with no tone, no shading and no color is somehow superior aesthetically - that is the very definition of insanity. screwy.gif

I voted for it, though I think I was unduly influenced by repeated viewings of the original at Metropolis. sorry.gif

If I had never seen the original, I doubt I would have voted for it. It's one of the few pen & ink pieces that I think looks better without the color, as it actually has different tones & shades that allows it to stand on its own. I'll never understand OA zombies who think linework with no tone, no shading and no color is somehow superior aesthetically - that is the very definition of insanity. screwy.gif

893blahblah.giftongue.gif

I can't wait until Spurs implode down the homestretch while Arsenal shocks everyone and wins the Champions League. Put that in your pipe and smoke it! sumo.gif

I can't wait until Spurs implode down the homestretch while Arsenal shocks everyone and wins the Champions League. Put that in your pipe and smoke it! sumo.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Funniest thing I've heard for ages. Thanks for the chuckle Gene. thumbsup2.gifsmirk.gif