• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics 29 (Allentown or Rockford)

28 posts in this topic

I saw the Detective #29 Allentown before it got slabbed when Joe Vereneault owned it and was selling it at the San Diego Comic Con in 1998. The selling price was $65,000! I was stunned at the condition of the book and then stunned at the asking price! I was also surprised that the biggest book that I had seen at the show was bought by a young collector, West, who at the time didn't live that far away from me here in southern California!

I saw the Detective #29 Allentown before it got slabbed when Joe Vereneault owned it and was selling it at the San Diego Comic Con in 1998. The selling price was $65,000! I was stunned at the condition of the book and then stunned at the asking price! I was also surprised that the biggest book that I had seen at the show was bought by a young collector, West, who at the time didn't live that far away from me here in southern California!

yeah. I passed on it, too. But its sure a sweetie, aint it?

I bought a very nice copy for half that a few months later. I just wasnt comfortable paying 60K for a book that wasnt a first anything. Wheres it gonna go? 100K?? I feel I'll let that copy lead the way pricewise and have it pull MY copy along with it with a lot less risk.

I bought a very nice copy for half that a few months later. I just wasnt comfortable paying 60K for a book that wasnt a first anything. Wheres it gonna go? 100K?? I feel I'll let that copy lead the way pricewise and have it pull MY copy along with it with a lot less risk.

Scan? Please? popcorn.gif

That book was the first and only mega-book I ever considered purchasing. I had Joe take it out of the mylar for me at San Diego and it was cloud9.gif. In the end, I couldn't see dumping a boatload of books for it and I was going to be nervous having that much money in a single item.

yeah. I passed on it, too.

Technically, everyone who saw it and didn't buy it passed on it. Are you saying you looked at it and seriously considered buying it?

I did not pass on it. It's the nicest pre 1940 book I've EVER seen! takeit.gif

West

I see that the owner of the Mile High Tec 29 also owns the Mile High Tec #2,

Also a 6.5 Tec 27,a 9.6 AF 15 and a host of other stunning books.All unrestored.

Nice little website he has displaying the stuff

It's easy to forget that he owns the standalone highest graded AF #15, and not Schmell or Brulato. hail.gif

It's easy to forget that he owns the standalone highest graded AF #15, and not Schmell or Brulato. hail.gif

893whatthe.gif Wow, how did I not notice that before?! Has it always been there on his site? It`s not a huge scan, but from what I can see that is a fully deserving 9.6 copy. All 4 corners look sharp enough to poke somebody`s eye out!