• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

Alright, I finally got off my lazy duff to take a few pics. Here's one that's been requested. All my Centaurs (except one that's involved in a trade with someone confused.gif). My long term goal is to finish out the run of AMF from 1-v2n6. After that, I may buy a few, but they lose their appeal. Like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I sold/traded my 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 years ago and haven't seen another copy since. If you get any of those, please PM me!!!

Anyway, here is the 1st app of the Arrow, and all of his subsequent cover appearances. IMHO the 40 & 41 are far rarer than the v4n1.

1285400-IMG_0129.JPG

1285400-IMG_0129.JPG.2428a930bcf603e2c6c9b133e1b3eee7.JPG

Edited by buttock

And my other collecting love, flamethrower covers. I love these things. It all started with War Comics 11.

I was friends with Bruce Ellsworth when he found the Salida collection. I went up to Santa Fe to hang out, and he had several lying around the house. I found a few I liked, and then just sitting on his kitchen table was War 11. I was floored. I had to have it, and he sold it to me for cheap. I paraded it around and took it to SD with me because of the Big 5 war dinner. Unfortunately, SD made me a little cash poor and in a moment of weakness I sold it (for an insane multiple of guide). As soon as it left my hands I knew I had done the wrong thing - and I've regretted it ever since.

It's a book that has to be seen in person to be appreciated. Structurally around an 8.5, but blinding white pages and brilliant inks & gloss. adamstrange has seen it and can attest to its beauty. I now have 4 other copies of it, and none of them approach the Salida. If anyone has a copy in FN or better (or even nice lower grades) please PM me.

These books - for the most part - have flamethrowers on the covers. Lots of burning Koreans. There are a couple (US Marines #8, Four Favorites #10) that have gatling guns eviscerating people, and I thought they fit in with the general theme.

Enjoy!

IMG_0132.jpg

Fantastic!

Can you post a scan of the Marines cover with the flag and the Japanese octopus? That looks insane...

Edit: looks like I am not the only one to notice it!

Edited by october

Fantastic!

Can you post a scan of the Marines cover with the flag and the Japanese octopus? That looks insane...

por vous flowerred.gif

This book is oversized, and virtually every copy I've seen has damage at the top 1/4 inch. This is the nicest one I've seen, although Harley had a pretty nice one a year ago or so.

1285436-USmarines3.jpg

1285436-USmarines3.jpg.042ebcd35e5366a8f1d9a96b1b0faf25.jpg

Edited by buttock

Great books, Buttock 893applaud-thumb.gif

I think it's time to bring down the average value per picture 27_laughing.gif. So... This is a shot of some late '30s/early '40s Ernie Bushmiller books.

1285469-DSC00005.JPG

1285469-DSC00005.JPG.bd20add7722679080077283ec102abb6.JPG

Edited by 143ksk

Fantastic!

INSANE is right! wowiezowie. I love it.

Air Fighters/Airboy

1285476-DSC00004.JPG

I've always been fascinated by the Heap covers.Any idea who did them towards the end of the run and what's the scoop on the quality of the interior stories?GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Air Fighters/Airboy

1285476-DSC00004.JPG

Great stuff. The Air Fighters Vol 2, #2 (first Valkyrie) is one of my all-time favorite comics and one of my all-time favorite covers--the over-the-top word balloon, the composition, the implied cleavage, the chained, beaten Airboy, the great colors; this is the quintessential COMIC BOOK COVER.

Actually, a lot of the early Air Fighters covers were unusual and innovative in their design and content, but that one... it's in a class by itself.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Great stuff. The Air Fighters Vol 2, #2 (first Valkyrie) is one of my all-time favorite comics and one of my all-time favorite covers--the over-the-top word balloon, the composition, the implied cleavage, the chained, beaten Airboy, the great colors; this is the quintessential COMIC BOOK COVER.

Actually, a lot of the early Air Fighters covers were unusual and innovative in their design and content, but that one... it's in a class by itself.

thumbsup2.gif

AirFighters2v5.jpg