• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

The first time I posted in this thread, I asked Alton if I could post my group of 2 books. blush.gif

Here's some updated pictures.

I took 1 group shot of all, and two separate pics, so you would be able to see the books better.

They range from 4.0 to 7.5 and 1 raw book.

Groupshotof181.jpg

Groupshotof182.jpg

Groupshotof183.jpg

hail.gif

not a bad looking table either tongue.gif

The first time I posted in this thread, I asked Alton if I could post my group of 2 books. blush.gif

Here's some updated pictures.

I took 1 group shot of all, and two separate pics, so you would be able to see the books better.

They range from 4.0 to 7.5 and 1 raw book

hail.gif

not a bad looking table either tongue.gif

We only eat on it major holidays. It had about 100lbs. of clutter on it. I took hold of the tablecloth, folded it up some, and managed to clean it off in one shot. insane.gif My wife is due home in 20 minutes. we'll see if she likes the table. smile.gif

Thanks guys! This collection would not be as fun, if it wern't for you fellow collectors.

I need a #81 and I will have 10 in a row. headbang.gif

hello all...

nice job indeed....keep it up!

rick

Finally finished a mini goal on my Wings run... Picked up #4 from Heritage last week to complete the #1-5 run. They're all low to mid grade, but they'll do... for now grin.gif

winglot.jpg

I have a buddy that would flip over that shot! Nicely done! thumbsup2.gif

Finally finished a mini goal on my Wings run... Picked up #4 from Heritage last week to complete the #1-5 run. They're all low to mid grade, but they'll do... for now grin.gif

winglot.jpg

I have a buddy that would flip over that shot! Nicely done! thumbsup2.gif

Gene Fawcette is a terrific artist and excelled at those aerial dogfights in Wings!

Theagenes, it seems to me you're missing this one tongue.gif

1592098-JohnCarterofMarsNotPublished.jpg

893whatthe.gif What is that!!?

Edit: Ah, this must come from some of the unpublished Russ Manning stuff, right? Very cool! 893applaud-thumb.gif

(Man, that group shot photo of mine is really crappy. tongue.gif I need to try and redo it with that flickr software.)

Edited by Theagenes

Edit: Ah, this must come from some of the unpublished Russ Manning stuff, right? Very cool! 893applaud-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gif It's featured in Mr. Monster's Comic Crypt or whatever Michael Gilbert's feature is called in AE # 63.

Cool, I'll have to pick that up. I remember seeing the Manning stuff on the internet somewhere a while back. There is interior art out there as well. What's interesting is that Chessmen of Mars is the fifth novel in the series, which suggests there may have been another John Carter Four Color planned, adapting the fourth novel Thuvia, Maid of Mars between 488 and this Manning "FC 528" that also went unpublished. I remember seeing a painted cover in an old issue of CBM that looked like it was done as a "sequel" to the painted cover of 488. Both the cover of 488 and this second "mystery" John Carter cover were reused for a British magazine. The CBM article suggested that this second cover might have been for an unpublished fourth John Carter FC. So there may actually be two "lost" John Carters out there.

And to keep it on topic, here is my redone JC of M groupshot:

4902JohnCarterGroup.jpg

Edited by Theagenes

Here are the covers to the British magazines I mentioned.

Super Thriller Annual 1958 (obviously swiped from FC 488):

6754SuperThrillerAnnual1958sm.jpg

and Super Thriller Annual 1959, with the same character, same costume, etc.:

6707SuperThrillerAnnual1959sm.jpg

The question is, was this second cover an original work for Super Thriller, or was a it a swipe as well from an unpublished fourth John Carter FC cover? The fact that the unpublished Manning issue should be the fifth in the series, makes the latter scenario more plausible I think. I know I'm probably the only one who cares, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

thumbsup2.gif It's featured in Mr. Monster's Comic Crypt or whatever Michael Gilbert's feature is called in AE # 63.

Cool, I'll have to pick that up. I remember seeing the Manning stuff on the internet somewhere a while back. There is interior art out there as well. What's interesting is that Chessmen of Mars is the fifth novel in the series, which suggests there may have been another John Carter Four Color planned, adapting the fourth novel Thuvia, Maid of Mars between 488 and this Manning "FC 528" that also went unpublished. I remember seeing a painted cover in an old issue of CBM that looked like it was done as a "sequel" to the painted cover of 488. Both the cover of 488 and this second "mystery" John Carter cover were reused for a British magazine. The CBM article suggested that this second cover might have been for an unpublished fourth John Carter FC. So there may actually be two "lost" John Carters out there.

And to keep it on topic, here is my redone JC of M groupshot:

4902JohnCarterGroup.jpg

Very nice!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

groupr.jpg

hello all...

hope to update this group shot with an incoming All Star 3, an Adventure 40 and my Detective 27 (maybe by mid Feb, I can have a new shot).....and, if Adam will let me, I will sneak in a soon to be co owned Superman 1 smile.gif

rick