• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

When you complete March, 1952 any plans to move onto April or skip back to February?

After crawling to the finish with March I'm thinking that's the last thing he wants to do.... lol

Scrooge, these rock. :applause:

When you complete March, 1952 any plans to move onto April or skip back to February?

After crawling to the finish with March I'm thinking that's the last thing he wants to do.... lol

I think Jon captured the feeling very well. I won't be that crazy to start this over ... or am I? More on that next week ...

I think Jon captured the feeling very well. I won't be that crazy to start this over ... or am I? More on that next week ...

:popcorn:

Facing a jam-packed March 1952 news stand must have been daunting for a kid with a few dimes in his pocket! Somehow it seems that these Star covers would stand out no matter what the competition looked like.

Thanks for the group shots!

Jack

Completed Star Comics -

51737-Star-Group-1.jpg

51739-Star-Group-2.jpg

51741-Star-Group-3.jpg

51745-Star-Group-4.jpg

If it was me, which thankfully it's not, I would try for a very different time frame--either earlier or later. I think the coolest thing about the month collection is that it gives you a great idea of what was on sale in a given time period. So, either earlier or later would seem to make sense to me. For ideas, I'd go with December 1941 (first appearance of Archie), ?/1947 or whenever FC 178 (first Scrooge) came out, or for SA, maybe the month before Showcase 4 or FF 1 hit the stands. I'm sure there's lots of other interesting time frames one can think of.

timely (shrug)

To fit a group shot of all the Timely/Atlas from that month on this thread the thumbnails would be so small we probably wouldn't be able to tell what was what.

Individual scans are acceptable. lol

Timely hm

:D

58349-AtlasGS1.jpg.91d1483c420f6342dc247033ba039997.jpg

58351-AtlasGS2.jpg.e4aabba883b786a7ff691a227a2d3135.jpg

58353-AtlasGS3.jpg.d1f0157ef9b60d700e5d0745c381364c.jpg

58355-AtlasGS4.jpg.fda2dfc3f2af6a14fc548942dd9b8df4.jpg

58357-AtlasGS5.jpg.c03587f8436cab32bca6f09b318d4b58.jpg

58359-AtlasGS6.jpg.1da1012bbd22f1c4942bbbf13c936ede.jpg

58361-AtlasGS7.jpg.9ea18ea7d19ee94696c191346c734d8d.jpg

58363-AtlasGS8.jpg.36db7d51641dcbe5b3138ade32615e0e.jpg

58365-AtlasGS9.jpg.a5bb42216efdd02e2ac7929627236851.jpg

58367-AtlasGS10.jpg.ee0fd6698b4f568d7e7eb63e52d965dd.jpg

58369-AtlasGS11.jpg.f65ba09d136f503677c333c32e2331ba.jpg

58371-AtlasGS12.jpg.7d2c43e9b9194b11c700ecd6a589da4a.jpg

58373-AtlasGS13.jpg.c0155c2ed9da56a16cf748abe188aadb.jpg

58375-AtlasGS14.jpg.f7e123d1275447639b8eb61a2b64c221.jpg

58377-AtlasGS15.jpg.3fd43ffe61aaed629bfc5228257cdeeb.jpg

58379-AtlasGS16.jpg.989abc204065d13d99e6fd47f331d3c1.jpg

58381-AtlasGS17.jpg.09d510af82c339c729f314b3ecff5769.jpg

58383-AtlasGS18.jpg.384910c53bdf720855594b1a7af27f52.jpg

If it was me, which thankfully it's not, I would try for a very different time frame--either earlier or later. I think the coolest thing about the month collection is that it gives you a great idea of what was on sale in a given time period. So, either earlier or later would seem to make sense to me. For ideas, I'd go with December 1941 (first appearance of Archie), ?/1947 or whenever FC 178 (first Scrooge) came out, or for SA, maybe the month before Showcase 4 or FF 1 hit the stands. I'm sure there's lots of other interesting time frames one can think of.

My first impulse would have been to go + / - 2 years from that specific month but it didn't look too enticing. The "+ 4" option is attractive with the March 1956 books ... but they are all post-code and truly that's not an exciting prospect. I also had in mind to collect my dad's birth month for kicks: July 1942 but for what I want to spend, that's just too pricey!

There aren't that many books: 106 in total but then I end up having to buy: Batman 11, Cap 16, GL 4, HT 8, All-Star 11, 'Tec 65, Supes 17, USA 4, Mystic 9, MMC 33, ... the list goes on for a while with high $$$ books. The hobby is really no longer affordable at that level ...

Was Timely publishing more titles than DC in 1952?

Yup even though I'd call it being neck and neck. DC had 41 books out and Atlas had 56 but that's because Goodman always gorged on any new genres. By this I mean DC might have 3 or 4 long-running romance books while Goodman could crank out 10 of those for as short a period as a year if romance was hot. Completely different editorial stance. Plus, DC in March hadn't jumped on the War craze. For example, Star Spangled is not yet Star Spangled War Stories while as showcased above Atlas was War crazy!!

Scrooge, I love it! I can't believe there were that many comics put out every month!

How long have you been on the hunt for these issues, and how many more until you're completely done?

Amazing group shots Michael (worship)

Out of curiosity (and, because I know you will know the answer lol ), how many first issues of long running titles came out that month? Obviously Scrooge, but I also see Tubby #1. Any others?

Getting back to that question. There are a fair number of first issues but it's mostly from short lived titles. Those that had legs were:

Uncle Scrooge of course, Tubby you mentioned but also:

Battle Action, Mystery Tales, Patsy & Hedy, Shock Suspenstories, Spellbound, Thing!, ...

In total there are 27 true number ones (i.e., excluding Scrooge and Tubby). On the other end, there are 47 with issue numbers over 75 (and I didn't include the Four Colors in that count.) Think Action, Adventure, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories, Captain Marvel, Whiz, Famous Funnies, Crime Does Not Pay, Jumbo, Jungle, Wings, Looney Tunes, New Funnies, Police, Sparkler, Tip Top, ...

Scrooge, I love it! I can't believe there were that many comics put out every month!

How long have you been on the hunt for these issues, and how many more until you're completely done?

To be fair, since I include the bi-monthly titles, i.e., I'd buy the Feb-March issue, not all these were published on a given month but they would still live side-by-side on the newsstands.

I bought the first books in July 2001 not realizing what would ensue ... I'm now 6 years and 10 months into the craziness. I have accumulated 408 books (counting the one book in the mail to me as we speak) and have another 12 to go. Well, 11 that is if Selegue digs out the Black Rider he promised he would :baiting:

To be fair, since I include the bi-monthly titles, i.e., I'd buy the Feb-March issue, not all these were published on a given month but they would still live side-by-side on the newsstands.

I bought the first books in July 2001 not realizing what would ensue ... I'm now 6 years and 10 months into the craziness. I have accumulated 408 books (counting the one book in the mail to me as we speak) and have another 12 to go. Well, 11 that is if Selegue digs out the Black Rider he promised he would :baiting:

Congratulations on your progress and good luck on finishing!!! (worship)

Why do I suddenly feel like I'm surrounded by bright lights? I'm innocent, I tell yez!

It shouldn't be too hard to find, if I ever find time to travel to the Fortress of Solicitude, since B ought to be right next to A (for Airboy).

Jack

Thank you! :foryou: Fortunately, I gave myself 10 years when I started so so far I've always felt ahead of schedule which has been a welcome feeling. Now, after buying an average of about 5 books a month for years, being only able to add a book every other month doesn't feel right and I might lose the impetus to finish ...

Thank you! :foryou: Fortunately, I gave myself 10 years when I started so so far I've always felt ahead of schedule which has been a welcome feeling. Now, after buying an average of about 5 books a month for years, being only able to add a book every other month doesn't feel right and I might lose the impetus to finish ...

Very impressive! (worship) Please don't lose the impetus. Why don't you post the 11 that you are missing and maybe we can help? I think I may check my birthdate and see what was printed. This sounds like a fun project. :grin:

(Re: July 1942). There aren't that many books: 106 in total but then I end up having to buy: Batman 11, Cap 16, GL 4, HT 8, All-Star 11, 'Tec 65, Supes 17, USA 4, Mystic 9, MMC 33, ... the list goes on for a while with high $$$ books. The hobby is really no longer affordable at that level ...

July 1942 has several of my favorite GA covers...plus that's the month all the "United We Stand" flag covers came out for all the magazines. So, if I had a time machine to go back and to view the newstands, July 1942 would be it!

Oh yeah, and buying all 106 of those comics for 10 cents each would be fun too! :applause:

GE

Very impressive! (worship) Please don't lose the impetus. Why don't you post the 11 that you are missing and maybe we can help? I think I may check my birthdate and see what was printed. This sounds like a fun project. :grin:

Thanks Flea! (thumbs u

Because Flea asked ... and no, my middle name isn't Ian :insane:

Wanted-Last12.jpg