• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

These are from 1904 - 1913 and some are incredibly difficult to find.

DSCN3174.jpg

Wow! Great books!

Repeat after me... "Platinum Age books have no value. Nobody should collect them. Nobody wants them..."

You are right that the humor in some books is dated. But some have timeless humor that still provides great reading today.

Boot, I keep saying that very comment but with one slight modification:

"Platinum Age books have no value. Nobody should collect them. Nobody wants them... so why the heck do I keep buying them all. Don't tell the wife, don't tell the wife. Oooooo, look at the pretty pictures."

:hi:

Right, nobody wants them. :cloud9: If I keep hanging out on the G.A. board, and start collecting another genre of book my wife will disown me. :makepoint:

Edited by frozentundraguy

Stinkers? Was Gator over at the house?

it's bad when fla. farts make it up to canada.

yes, he was here in december. the basenji won't come near him anymore. basenji's don't bark, but they do yodel. they are very smart, and after many years, i've been able to pick up some language from pharaoh. last month he was heard to say "stop it, g.a.tor."

Ok, the forthcoming group shots are all of Platinum Age books but I presume they are welcome among their Golden Age descendants!

I love these old books because of the history they represent. Frankly, they make for difficult reading as the generational humor has not been carried down through the century.

These are from 1919 - 1934.

DSCN3180.jpg

Great group shot, esp. with a few of the rarer later numbers and the tough Embee issue. Only have a couple issues. Biggest problem I have with odd size PA books is figuring out how to bag, board and store them!

yes, he was here in december. the basenji won't come near him anymore. basenji's don't bark, but they do yodel. they are very smart, and after many years, i've been able to pick up some language from pharaoh. last month he was heard to say "stop it, g.a.tor."

that puppy LOVES me :cloud9:

Basenji's are a great breed. Many years ago, I provided finances to finish championship status on one of these dogs. In return, I got to keep her, minus the first 3 puppies. She lived a long life and left behind memories of nearly unbelievable events. :cloud9:

6731203449_8405235fe4_z.jpg

I try to buy platinum age at the flea market when I find them. I have some Mutt and Jeff, Foxy Grandpa, Bringing Up Father and Dana Gibson books which I like. Last time I saw some Dana Gibson books, I lost them to someone's wife who wouldn't let me buy them until her husband saw them. :sumo:

Ok, the forthcoming group shots are all of Platinum Age books but I presume they are welcome among their Golden Age descendants!

I love these old books because of the history they represent. Frankly, they make for difficult reading as the generational humor has not been carried down through the century.

DSCN3180.jpg

Nice books, Mark. I always loved the Bringing Up Fathers, and completed the C&L run of 1-24 a few years ago. Since you seek these out, let me ask you... do you believe that 25 and 26 exist? BLB has said he's never seen them, and think they should be removed from Overstreet. I've been looking since before the days of the internet, and never seen any evidence of them.

Brings new meaning to the phrase "dog whisper". :grin:

:bump:

As long as this thread is sporting a Platinum theme, I'll use it as an opportunity to share a few group shots. A few of the items here aren't technically Plats, but they still fit the general comic strip theme. Others like Blasts From the Ram's Horn

are listed in Overstreet as Plats, even though they're really only books with illustrations.

plats11.jpg

plats12.jpg

plats13.jpg

plats14.jpg

plats15.jpg

plats16.jpg

plats1.jpg

plats2.jpg

plats3.jpg

plats4.jpg

plats5.jpg

plats6.jpg

plats7.jpg

plats8.jpg

plats9.jpg

plats10.jpg

plats17.jpg

As long as this thread is sporting a Platinum theme, I'll use it as an opportunity to share a few group shots. A few of the items here aren't technically Plats, but they still fit the general comic strip theme. Others like Blasts From the Ram's Horn

are listed in Overstreet as Plats, even though they're really only books with illustrations.

plats11.jpg

plats12.jpg

plats13.jpg

plats14.jpg

plats15.jpg

plats16.jpg

plats1.jpg

plats2.jpg

plats3.jpg

plats4.jpg

plats5.jpg

plats6.jpg

plats7.jpg

plats8.jpg

plats9.jpg

plats10.jpg

plats17.jpg

:applause:

DSCN3180.jpg

Nice books, Mark. I always loved the Bringing Up Fathers, and completed the C&L run of 1-24 a few years ago. Since you seek these out, let me ask you... do you believe that 25 and 26 exist? BLB has said he's never seen them, and think they should be removed from Overstreet. I've been looking since before the days of the internet, and never seen any evidence of them.

I haven't seem them either, but BLB has obviously far more experience in the PA field than I do. If he hasn't seen them, that says something.

Of course, it may be that OS added those two issues in for copyright purposes.

As long as this thread is sporting a Platinum theme, I'll use it as an opportunity to share a few group shots.

GOOD GRIEF!

GREAT POST!

Please consider putting this in the Platinum Thread, too!

Each one of those pictures has some great treasures - some amazing rarities. Thanks for showing them!

121202.gif.d25ceccccd1d85f953ea8cda8be33ede.gif

121203.gif.fc878ccceca78d684022e573dd72ce7e.gif

121204.gif.6e0fcfefa35cdbfb7be7cfdee9a70e62.gif