• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mystery box of approx 150 - 200 GA Comics arriving today

1,277 posts in this topic

Prettttty sure he's not gone just yet. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just to be clear, since everyone is piling on Joe for having a differing viewpoint about this whole thing (and for being a generally abrasive individual), you're all on board with this story?

Everyone here believes the whole "uncle in Florida" and "old woman" and "shed" aspects of this story? It doesn't smack of old-fashioned, Mile-High salesmanship to anyone?

I'm not looking to make accusations or cast aspersions, I'm just very curious about this.

Only if a Major Key or two was there.

These are all commons and most in low grade with a couple of nice ones.

Just what you'd expect from a GA collection.

If a VF Batman 1 was there I'd be... yeahok.gif

Yeah, i was really hoping for an Action 1 or Det 27...maybe next time.

Next time!?

You got another Uncle!? 893whatthe.gif

Yeah, i was really hoping for an Action 1 or Det 27...maybe next time.

If there is a next time you need to go out and buy a lottery ticket the very day

that you receive it...

It's not everyday that someone on this entire planet gets a gift horse like the one you just

received...

I'd say the odds are one in 500 billion that you will see this surprise again...

maybe even higher.

but congrats!

893applaud-thumb.gif

Aside from Mary Marvel 1 and Captain Marvel Adventures 18(?), what other Keys did you find?

batman155.jpg

Looks like a nice 6.5/7.0 copy of the first Silver-Age Penguin. gossip.gif

Probably because you are scanning it actual size.....

I don't think actual sized 90 DPI scans with a jpeg quality of 50 will approach 1MB. I think they will be about 200K. With the jpeg value at 100, though, that's little more than a bitmap, and would be big.

The poster is right, though. If you scan to 50%, it would save you from having to resize manually once you upload to photobucket. You are clearly resizing somehwere, since the scans you are posting are not actual sized. But, if the jpeg quality is at 100, the file size might still be over 1MB.

"Everyone here believes the whole "uncle in Florida" and "old woman" and "shed" aspects of this story? It doesn't smack of old-fashioned, Mile-High salesmanship to anyone?

I'm not looking to make accusations or cast aspersions, I'm just very curious about this."

I agree with another poster, the books are too low grade and only a couple of expensive ones among them (and really not THAT expensive either). Nice box of mainly solid $50-$150 books. A few $150-$350 books and, probably, a few $10-$25 books. Multiply that by 150-200 and you've got a nice chunk of change, but no Mile High III!

And these were clearly bought used, probably in the mid60s - 70s based on that 12 cent batman in there. You don't have random stuff from 1941 and stuff from the early 60s in one of these pedigree collections bought off the rack.

I'm happy to believe the story. Old aunts and sheds and any of that stuff do not add one penny of value to the collection.

A friend of mine used to pick up tons of stuff like this buying comics out of junk shops in NYC in the late 60s/early 70s for a nickel/dime a pop. He'd re-sell them at conventions, but most weren't worth much back then anyway.

Everyone here believes the whole "uncle in Florida" and "old woman" and "shed" aspects of this story? It doesn't smack of old-fashioned, Mile-High salesmanship to anyone?

I'm not looking to make accusations or cast aspersions, I'm just very curious about this.

Only if a Major Key or two was there. These are all commons and most in low grade with a couple of nice ones. Just what you'd expect from a GA collection. If a VF Batman 1 was there I'd be... yeahok.gif

I disagree. What better way to get a boatload of attention for a modest GA low/midgrade collection? This seller has generated more buzz about this collection than the most recent Hakes Catalog.

If one had a VF Batman 1, one wouldn't need to resort to guerilla marketing tactics.

BTW, I'm not saying the whole Uncle/Old Lady/Shed story is a marketing fish tale or not. I'm just commenting in theory. grin.gif

Prettttty sure he's not gone just yet. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just to be clear, since everyone is piling on Joe for having a differing viewpoint about this whole thing (and for being a generally abrasive individual), you're all on board with this story?

Why should anyone doubt it? We've all heard stories or been offered collections - either big or small - of old comics. Heck, i see old books almost every month at swamp meets. Most happen to be beat-up funny animal comics, but we all know that those weren't the only comics read back then. And if they survived untouched (though perhaps bug-eaten) in someone's basement or attic for 50 years, why is it so hard to believe that the same can't happen with more valuable superhero books? So yeah, i do believe that old comics can still be found by old relatives in old sheds.

The other part of your argument that i don't understand is why would posting these books here with a "story" do anything to increase their value? This is hardly a pedigree collection, and i would think that anyone interested in buying these issues would do so whether they were found in a shed or not. I don't care where the [embarrassing lack of self control] people find their old comics to sell, and i don't base my interest in them or my bids for them on the specifics of their "discovery." Why would anyone? confused-smiley-013.gif

Why would anyone create a story to sell books? Look at the attention these non-key, tatty, rat-chewed, beat-up old books have gotten. He could have just as easily NOT come to a message board and posted pictures of these books, as he is experienced in computers AND he has a history of selling comics on Ebay... but he didn't.

He came here, told his story, got everyone frothing about these books that would arrive "by 7pm"... made everyone wait... and wait... and wait... ALL DAY until 6:05pm when the books FINALLY arrived! And everyone rejoiced! And then he shared the pictures of the non-key, tatty, rat-chewed, beat-up old books and EVERYONE flipped out and there was more rejoicing, and Satan put on his snow boots and hugged the Baby Jesus and the women wept tears of happiness and dogs and cats lived together in harmony...

And then he began listing the books on Ebay. One at a time. Again, building anticipation, increasing awareness, and MARKETING HIS PRODUCT TO THE HILT.

P.T. Barnum would be proud.

(For extra credit, imagine that he had just gone straight to Ebay with these books. Would anyone have noticed?)

BTW, I DO believe the recent ComicLink Timely Collection from the "longtime collector" was a fish tale.

First, the grades vary from 1.0 to highgrade. There is no consistancy whatsoever in grades. Hard-to-find books are in high grade and many common books are very low grade. It doesn't add up that the same person was buying these.

Second, some of the books appeared on Heritage less than 6 months ago -- in lower grade slabs of course.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

well there are some odds and ends if they're considered true 'keys' the batman 47 though mangled, 2nd app of Penguin, new Catwoman costume, stuff like that...nothing earth shattering i suppose...plus i haven't really researched all of them to see which ones have specific events tied to them

yes, but he could have garnered the same froth with just about ANY story as to how he got the 150-200 GA books. an aunt, ripping off the old lady down the street, someone responding to his "comics wanted" ad, etc. sure, the "they'll be here in 12 hours" was a bit of a teaser, but most of the responses to that were "you're full of sh**t". In all honesty, if I had something like this in transit, I'd probably be blabbing to all my imaginary friends here too.