• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not so easy to find modern comics...

44 posts in this topic

to everyone

since the last 4 years i've been nothing some serious difficulties on finding some modern comics from the major mainstream companies, mostly marvel (the case i know better) and it's major titles.

around all the LCS avaiable in paris (there's something like 6 to 8 that carry a minimum or more of interesting back issues bins) and i simply couldn't find several comics. More, if these are avaiable on ebay (that ain't too hard to track down, but then you have the shipping costs added) they go in general for much more than the 0.50$ per copie of your "mundane" modern comic, more, some of them usually multiply by 3 or 4 the cover price...what's going on?!

the comics i've noticed this are usually in the mid/late and up 90's...low printing runs?! people trying to complete their collections and filling in those last holes in their runs?!

here are some examples that were simply impossible to find here (or if they were avaiable, they were "way" above cover price):

uncanny x-men 350 (this one simply doesn't "exist" around these parts for the last years), 375-377 and a couple of others (legacy virus issues, etc...)

amazing spidey vol.2 19, 22, 28, 29

a couple of early DD vol.2

amazing spidey vol 1 (this one is very strange because there are several comics that won't appear in the backissues market, a dozen of comics between n°400 and 441).

the bronze/cooper age ams seem to have a considerable interest on the community mostly n°200 to 301 (this more from my experience as a seller)...

ff (a few of the waid/wieringo run aren't either easy to track down)

thor 80 and up also hard

strange on a time when there should be so many stuff avaiable and not many people reading and yet it seems there's a "snowball effect" on more and more comics from this time line that aren't easly avaiable.

regards

I can certainly agree with you on UXMen 350 and the early Vol. 2 ASMs. You can find these books on ebay pretty quickly...but they don't sell for cover price or less. The xbook will reach $10 every time....which is unusual for a storyline that I would have thought no one would care about anymore. Guess Gambit is still a sentimental favorite.

Wolverine 146 is the king of randomly expensive comics. Why is it a $20 book? It's not really scarce and not that many people care about the "Apocalypse the 12" storyline anymore.

I've made well over $300 over the last 3 years buying this book out of $1 bins and selling it for $20-$90 (for my CGC 9.8s). Not so much anymore since everyone has caught on, but it was nice while it lasted.

Wolverine 146 is the king of randomly expensive comics. Why is it a $20 book? It's not really scarce and not that many people care about the "Apocalypse the 12" storyline anymore.

I've made well over $300 over the last 3 years buying this book out of $1 bins and selling it for $20-$90 (for my CGC 9.8s). Not so much anymore since everyone has caught on, but it was nice while it lasted.

yeah, that one is also a tricky one to find, along with the 145 too...if i remember it well it's linked to the uncanny x-men 475-478, no?

yes, for a storyline that (apparently) no one cares/cared, these ones always have a dozen of fans hunting them with some greens $$$ on their hands!

regards

Any idea what an almost complete unread run of Wolverine 145-180 would go for? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

for more than the individual cover price... wink.gif

it seems the 145 marks an "interest/hunting edge" for wolvie fans...

another funny thing is some of those holofoil gimmicks from the 90's...guess what, a few of them really fetch some nice prices ex: from the top of my head uncanny x-men 350 (again), wolvie 100, amazing spidey 25, etc...

also the variants that came out in the mid/late 90's seem to have a steady high price, specially the uncanny x between n°350 and 400 (and the majority of them aren't anothing special).

regards

Well, looking at the books you listed I can see why you are having problems. UXM #350 is the issue where it is revealed that Gambit lead the Marauders to the Morlocks during the Mutant Massacre crossover for Mr. Sinister. in 375-377 is the the crossover story for Apocalypse: The Twelve which end the whole "The Twelve" storyline hinted at in the 80's. All the ASM vol 2 early books are going for well above cover price. ASM vol 400 is the issue where Aunt May dies and has a special tombstone cover (the 1st print cover is gray and the 2nd print is white). Of course we now know it wasn't really Aunt May.Thor vol 2 80-85 is the the end of the series where all of Asgard and the Norse Gods are killed off. At any rate the books you mentioned are all key books of some storyline so you won't be getting any of these anywhere near the low prices you were talking about unless you catch a break on Ebay or a sale at on a website. If you really want them I'd say bite the bullet and get them now.

The ASM 400 white cover dealer variant has always been hard to find in high grade (Im talking graded). In fact, census shows only 3 in 9.8

Wolvie 145 (where wolverine gets his adamantium back) may have just been gobbled up unwittingly by fans seeking out the valuable variants and trying to get their hands on the nabisco variant cover (the one everyone wants). Census shows 9 of which 4 were restored in some way or another (apparent sp)

Interestingly, its harder to find an X-men 400 graded 9.8 for sale (4 in census)than a 350 (census shows 1) though I havent seen a 350 on ebay in some time.

These are all readily available .... in my longboxes yay.gif Unfortunately you are right. It'll take considerably more than cover price to get me to let go of them (why, if French comic shops get away with it, why shouldn't I?) All the biooks you mentioned I have, some in multiples because I was reading these book at the time and I've picked a number up in bulk deals where I would buy semi-runs from someone to get a better copy of one book foreheadslap.gif

uncanny x-men 350 (this one simply doesn't "exist" around these parts for the last years), 375-377 and a couple of others (legacy virus issues, etc...)

multiples of Xmen 350 AND the legacy virus issues

amazing spidey vol.2 19, 22, 28, 29

have a couple, I may have sold off the asm v2 # 19 (?) b/c it had been hot after the first spidey movie (upside down kiss) and the ASM 29 had come polybagged - black cover? I think I still have 5 copies of this laying around...

a couple of early DD vol.2

multiple copies including variants of DD 1-6 confused-smiley-013.gif

amazing spidey vol 1 (this one is very strange because there are several comics that won't appear in the backissues market, a dozen of comics between n°400 and 441).

I did not try to complete my ASM run this far so I am probably missing these same issues, unlike a plethora of ASM 200 - 300 dupes I have laying around

ff (a few of the waid/wieringo run aren't either easy to track down)

I have multiple sets of the waid/wieringo run confused-smiley-013.gif

thor 80 and up also hard

I still have a set but I remember selling my dupes off during the Avengers: disassembled hype...

That's salesmanship, Darth! thumbsup2.gif

True. But was also trying to point out that if I (mere collector, part time dealer) have these issues readily available, many others, not on these boards, will have these same exact issues as well that Kermit is having a hard time finding overseas to fill his runs.

That's salesmanship, Darth! thumbsup2.gif

True. But was also trying to point out that if I (mere collector, part time dealer) have these issues readily available, many others, not on these boards, will have these same exact issues as well that Kermit is having a hard time finding overseas to fill his runs.

27_laughing.gif Not to blow your skirt up TOO much, Darth, but I've seen your "buying" lists in the past on a week-to-week basis.

You're no "mere collector". You were buying EVERYTHING and much of it in multiples, no? You probably have a much better inventory than many LCSes when it comes to Modern books. tongue.gif

lol Not to blow your skirt up TOO much, Darth, but I've seen your "buying" lists in the past on a week-to-week basis.

blush.gif

You're no "mere collector". You were buying EVERYTHING

and I've read them all! smile.gif

and much of it in multiples, no?

I've 'toned down' on the multiples of new books thing a bit, since Grace was born, but yes multiples of select runs would be accurate

You probably have a much better inventory than many LCSes when it comes to Modern books. tongue.gif

maybe a really small LCS in Guam or Puerto Rico... 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gif

"All the ASM vol 2 early books are going for well above cover price. ASM vol 400 is the issue where Aunt May dies and has a special tombstone cover (the 1st print cover is gray and the 2nd print is white)."

Hmmm, I think I sold the white cover one for like $3.00 out of my store 6 months ago. Where can I get $10 for that? I'm sure I have more of each cover.