• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All-American #16 and Tec #27 on eBay!!!

105 posts in this topic

You could get either for Example a 8.0 Qualified without cover or .5 Blue without cover

Should be one or the other but after thinking about it maybe it is graded properly because there is no point in grading the pages an 8.0 because the quality of the cover (if there was one) would have such an overriding effect on the grade they are better off just leaving it as is. Thoughts? I still don't like the inconsistency in the grading policies, whatever they are.

You could get either for Example a 8.0 Qualified without cover or .5 Blue without cover

Should be one or the other but after thinking about it maybe it is graded properly because there is no point in grading the pages an 8.0 because the quality of the cover (if there was one) would have such an overriding effect on the grade they are better off just leaving it as is. Thoughts? I still don't like the inconsistency in the grading policies, whatever they are.

I just hate the qualified grade. If it's unrestored, I'm always going to prefer a blue label.

I think, we need a CGC staffer to clarify this point.

Trust me, I'm right on this. The reason you see some formerly qualified grades resubbed and receiving blue labels is because CGC has redefined what books will get a green label. In their first year, they gave out qualified grades far more often than they do now, for defects that now receive a blue label.

For example, one of my books received a qualified grade for moderate tanning of the interior covers and a tiny chip out of the back cover. A book with those defects would receive a blue label today.

And I know the qualified grade confuses some people, but I had no idea that it was this confusing. There's no possible way a coverless book should receive a qualified grade. It's the very definition of a PR .5 book. If a book is the very definition of its grade then there's nothing anomalous about it at all. If there's nothing anomalous about it, then there's no need to even consider the qualified grade.

Buttock, I know this book is a major key (and I'll admit that I don't have the faintest idea on FMV), but I'd be a bit wary of the brittleness. It sounds like the whole spine is brittle (not just cover but pages too), and kinda looks it from the back cover. Maybe get more clarification on this?

I think you're right. That probably cinches it for me unfortunately. This is one book I REALLY want.

The guy lives about 25 min from my hometown though!

Many years ago, that used to be my copy! yay.gif

Of course, it looked a little nicer than. Not that much nicer. 27_laughing.gif

And I know the qualified grade confuses some people, but I had no idea that it was this confusing. There's no possible way a coverless book should receive a qualified grade. It's the very definition of a PR .5 book. If a book is the very definition of its grade then there's nothing anomalous about it at all. If there's nothing anomalous about it, then there's no need to even consider the qualified grade.

A blue label for missing centerfolds right? You also get a green for that. If it is just because of the cover missing I can understand just the blue label at .5. But why is a centerfold missing any different than a cover. I am curious about this.

That was my first big GA purchase -- for which I way overpaid. This was back in the mid 80s when I first started. The listing says cover detached, which doesn't surprise me, as the book was held together by amateur glue up/down the whole spine. The book is brittle in that even mild handling would result in flakes. I learned more about page quality and, as a result, ended up trading it for other books sometime in 89.

I hadn't thought about that book in a while, but I must say it does bring a smile to my face since that's the only big GA key I've ever have or ever will own.

... that's the only big GA key I've ever have or ever will own.

You don't really expect me to believe that, do you? 893naughty-thumb.gif You'll run out of awesome HG lower tier books at some point, then all your OA will be in piles too big for you to sift through and you'll break down and buy something. I'd peg you as a AA 16, Adv 40, or Marvel #1 guy, but I could be wrong. sumo.gif

... that's the only big GA key I've ever have or ever will own.

You don't really expect me to believe that, do you? 893naughty-thumb.gif You'll run out of awesome HG lower tier books at some point, then all your OA will be in piles too big for you to sift through and you'll break down and buy something. I'd peg you as a AA 16, Adv 40, or Marvel #1 guy, but I could be wrong. sumo.gif

I figure you're mostly kidding here, but just in case, I'll answer seriously. I decided about 10 years ago that I would avoid #1s and keys as they cost more and provide less satisfaction than a stack of stuff. When there are still great books out like War 11, who needs Action 1?

Nah, AS is going to go the Tec route. He has Tec written all over him.

I saw the MH pre-Bat 'Tecs at the Carters before they finally sold them. They were cloud9.gif but those prices! Honestly, I don't regret not picking up any.