• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay $.10 Fixed Price Listing Day

35 posts in this topic

yes, but I think the action ebay is getting on these is people converting store listings into auctions for a week, not setting up a bunch of new auctions. Unless you have a few hundred loaded up in turbo lister ready to go, who has the time to list more than a few new auctions when they give you no notice of 10 cent listing day? I might list some new auctions tonight, but probably won't have the time, whereas converting a store item into an auction takes about 5 seconds. so, they get a "second sunday" (sort of) with these mid-week 10 cent days.

But the end result is to sell the stuff right? Otherwise 10c on a listing doesn't make for any increaes in revenue. The evidence is that very few of the thousands of listings sell and of those that do tend to be low-$ books.

What about the additional bells and whistles people might spring for, seeing how the insertion fee is only 10 cent, may as well dress it up a bit with a subtitle, make it a ten-day listing, bold it, highlight it, etc., which all cost extra. There may be additional fees collected from those who use the ebay picture hosting services as well (additional revenue)...

yes, but I think the action ebay is getting on these is people converting store listings into auctions for a week, not setting up a bunch of new auctions. Unless you have a few hundred loaded up in turbo lister ready to go, who has the time to list more than a few new auctions when they give you no notice of 10 cent listing day? I might list some new auctions tonight, but probably won't have the time, whereas converting a store item into an auction takes about 5 seconds. so, they get a "second sunday" (sort of) with these mid-week 10 cent days.

But the end result is to sell the stuff right? Otherwise 10c on a listing doesn't make for any increaes in revenue. The evidence is that very few of the thousands of listings sell and of those that do tend to be low-$ books.

What about the additional bells and whistles people might spring for, seeing how the insertion fee is only 10 cent, may as well dress it up a bit with a subtitle, make it a ten-day listing, bold it, highlight it, etc., which all cost extra. There may be additional fees collected from those who use the ebay picture hosting services as well (additional revenue)...

Like any other consignment service, eBay makes money on commissions on sales, not listing fees.

Going through the GA listings on EBay, I notice many of the same books I've seen in the prior 10ct listing days. As they said in the movie Casablanca, "Round up the usual suspects". I guess if the books don't sell they could always be recycled back to the link as new CGC offerings.

Going through the GA listings on EBay, I notice many of the same books I've seen in the prior 10ct listing days. As they said in the movie Casablanca, "Round up the usual suspects". I guess if the books don't sell they could always be recycled back to the link as new CGC offerings.

They should take all the GA books and mail them to me in a mystery box, then I could start a thread.... Oh wait. poke2.gif

I'm thinking this is a revenue game ebay is playing for the 1st quarter. Auctions end in a week and that when the revenue is booked. Get an earnings pop sell some options and there you go.

Ed

"Otherwise 10c on a listing doesn't make for any increaes in revenue. The evidence is that very few of the thousands of listings sell and of those that do tend to be low-$ books."

To the contrary, I at least have sold 1-3 triple digit slabs on each and every 10 cent listing day whereas I don't regularly have that sort of success during the week (granted, I don't run auctions on these sorts of books unless they're 10 centers -- too many fees associated with running something with a reserve, etc.) Scatter in some $15-$50 books too (although I guess you consider that low $). I have no friggin idea why I've been doing ok, but I can't imagine my experience is totally unique.

But I suppose you analyze this data closer than I do given the business you're in. Or at least the sales of slabs.

On the other hand, ebay must be making money doing this. Perhaps they make the money outside of comics, which is like what, .01% of ebay's business?

I'm not really seeing the spike in listings that I normally do when they run this promotion. Could just be in comparison to the items I run searches on. Is anyone else noticing less than usual activity?

I'm not really seeing the spike in listings that I normally do when they run this promotion. Could just be in comparison to the items I run searches on. Is anyone else noticing less than usual activity?

Yes, it's around 20% of the listings from a few weeks ago, or from what we usually see.

I listed about 1/3 as many auctions this time around. Listing 100 $6-$15 books that were in my store isn't worth the extra 3-5 sales of these items I'll probably pick-up. The GA slabs, the Barks Disney books, the SA Spideys, the SA Avengers and the 1950s crime/horror I did list as auctions ought to drive enough traffic.

I recently got back my modern submission from CGC; had subbed the books at Wondercon. I've already sold the Daredevil #1 (1998) CGC 9.8 for $75, and the Batman #357 CGC 9.6 for $80. Not too bad, but these are new listings. Now, if I can sell the New Mutants #87 CGC 9.8, I'd be on fire.