• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Media Mail

11 posts in this topic

Thought I should mention this since there are so many BINs right now.

USPS is cracking down on Media Mail (since the beginning of this year). They see it being supposedly abused. As such, they can inspect the package to make sure it meets criteria. And they are not gentle with the stuff when they do.

I had a box come from a board member recently and they had inspected it (stamped all over and the box was pretty much opened). Thank god it was TPB's as I don't care for the condition as much.

My recommendation is to use Parcel Post. Not restrictive and cheaper than Priority Mail.

Just an FYI. If you don't care about condition, then it doesn't matter. They may confiscate CGC/PGX books because they may not meet the criteria.

Pat

The simple solution if you want to get the economy rate is to use bound printed matter. It's maybe a bit more expensive than media mail in some cases, but comics are allowed under the USPS criteria.

I'd have to look at the criteria again. If you ask, USPS will give a flyer on acceptable stuff.

Even if you have an acceptable comic, when they rummage they will damage it. So, if it's something that the buyer wants protected (regardless of acceptability), might be worth going another route.

My recommendation would be to list your shipping method in the BIN. If Media Mail is your option, mention the condition issue and that they can pay to increase the shipping security via a different method.

Just an FYI, though. Not trying to be too preachy.

I'd just hate to see a great book get screwed due to a careless inspection and then both parties are unhappy.

Pat

For anybody who wants to know:

Bound Printed Matter Description

The maximum weight for Bound Printed Matter is 15 pounds. Rates are based on weight, shape, and distance. The maximum size is 108 inches in combined length and distance around the thickest part.

Bound Printed Matter is material that consists of advertising, promotional, directory, or editorial material that is securely bound (not loose-leaf binders), consists of sheets of which at least 90% are imprinted by a process other than handwriting or typewriting, contains no personal correspondence and is not stationery (such as pads of blank printed forms).

A postmaster started asking me questions once when I asked for this shipping option. When I said it was comic books he told me that those are acceptable under BPM.

For anybody who wants to know:

Bound Printed Matter Description

The maximum weight for Bound Printed Matter is 15 pounds. Rates are based on weight, shape, and distance. The maximum size is 108 inches in combined length and distance around the thickest part.

Bound Printed Matter is material that consists of advertising, promotional, directory, or editorial material that is securely bound (not loose-leaf binders), consists of sheets of which at least 90% are imprinted by a process other than handwriting or typewriting, contains no personal correspondence and is not stationery (such as pads of blank printed forms).

A postmaster started asking me questions once when I asked for this shipping option. When I said it was comic books he told me that those are acceptable under BPM.

I have been told at one post office comics are "not" acceptable but at another that they "are" acceptable. I guess the main thing is don't send your good stuff media. I guess we will all have to ante up a little more for priority.

Yeah very true and to be honest, I don't know why people select media mail/BPM for really nice comics just to save $2. I can understand when it's something where you don't care about the condition like a TPB, but HG comics?

The $2 saved can't even buy you a large cup of coffee.

This topic comes up every so often. Comics and media mail are not a good idea for anything you care about. The larger the package, the more chance it will be opened, and can be inspected anywhere along the route. So even if the local guys know you, the destination guys may crack it. I will ship comics this way, but I caveat that the buyer is taking full responsibility for the package. The question of whether or not it is within the rules is irrelevant, since the people who enforce the rules are not in agreement. I do believe the official story from the top is that comics are not within the bounds.

BPM is definitely within the rules and it is what Mile High uses to ship. The one rub with it (and this goes for media mail as well) is that the USPS has the right to destroy the package if it is undeliverable or heavily damaged in transit. They have no obligation to return it to you. (They usually do, though.)

Everyone should get familiar with the flat-rate PM box. When going coast to coast, you only need 2+ pounds to beat the normal PM rate by weight, and 4-5 pounds to beat the parcel post rate.

When I was selling lots of 25 at some stations they allowed media, at others it could only go BPM. Remember with BPM, if they can't deliver it for some reason, it gets tossed out. They also can open BPM too just like media mail to inspect. If I ever needed to send more than 15lbs, I used Fed Ex. ground, it was as fast as priority and cheaper!!

I guess the only difference with today's topic is that they are really enforcing it more so than they did in the past. I was warned about the change when I tried to ship something 3 weeks ago. So, I changed up the shipping method and don't use Media Mail anymore. Sure enough, 3 weeks later, a package sent to me was affected. Just a word of caution.

Pat