• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 Did NOT Begin the Silver Age? It Really Started With These 3 Comics

143 posts in this topic

thumbsup2.gif you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Either that or I simply have a better memory confused-smiley-013.gif

On topic - Adam you mention Phantom Lady revival and Atlas SH revival. There are others. Could we try to work out an official complete list?

There was Blue Beetle by Charlton (?) but wasn't that later, after the DC and Marvel success? What other revival happened before Showcase # 4 confused.gif?

The only revival that came to mind was Phantom Lady, so I can't be certain there are others. The Avenger over at ME was definitely an example of a new superhero from 1955. I've started to put a list a together of the DC Silver Age expansion which I'll to finish and post this weekend.

foreheadslap.gif Fighting American was another, thinly disguised, revival of Capt America. Apr 54 to Apr 55.

Well, I don't know whose argument this backs up or knocks down, but the Overstreet Price Guides from #10-13 (1983-84) (don't have the ones immediately before or after) all state this in the entry for Detective 225:

"Intro & 1st app. Martian Manhunter - John Jones, later changed to J'onn J'onnz (1st National Silver Age hero); also see Batman 78". The listing for Showcase 4 simply says "Origin the Flash (Silver Age) & The Turtle." (Hey! - maybe it was the Turtle's first appearance that triggered the Silver Age!)

In Overstreet #21 (1991-92), however, in the listing for Showcase 4 it says:

"Origin / First App. The Flash (1st DC Silver Age hero, Sept-Oct 1956)" while the Detective 225 entry says nothing about MM being the first anything.

Make of this what you will.