• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how much is the Batman #14 CGC 9.4 going to sell for?

17 posts in this topic

Many of you probably got this same email from Heritage last week. I wish they'd supplied a complete list of books that will be offered. I'm really curious what the Batman #14 will go for...

Harold Curtis Collection Includes Detective, Batman, Sensation, and more.

A new original-owner collection of comic books, dating from 1940-1954, will be offered to the collecting public by Heritage Auction Galleries.

According to Ben Samuels, Consignment Director for Heritage, "Harold Curtis grew up in Danielson, a small, rural town in northeastern Connecticut. He began buying comic books in 1940. On Saturdays, he and his younger brother and sister got up early in the morning in order to complete all of their weekly household chores before noon. Following lunch, their father rewarded each of them with an allowance payment of twenty five cents. It was with this financial windfall that Harold bought his weekly supply of comics, candy and movie theater tickets."

"Titles featuring Batman were Harold's main interest," Samuels continued, "but he also collected Boy Commandos, Wonder Woman, Sensation, Plastic Man, Smash Comics, Daredevil Comics, Boy Comics, Crime Does Not Pay, and even a few selected romance comics as his interest in girls began to grow... and understandably, as his interest in girls continued to develop, he eventually stopped buying comics — but even after marriage he refused to ever get rid of his beloved collection! Until now."

"Many of the earlier issues have 'Harold Curtis,' 'Harold,' 'H.E.C.,' 'Curtis,' or 'H. Curtis' written in ink on the cover," Samuels said. "Most issues have a distributor's 'p' mark in pencil or ink, others have a 'w', and a few of the war comics have a 'k' mark. While some of the earliest issues show considerable wear, most of the comics in this collection appear to have been read once, and were stored well. Most are high grade and have excellent paper quality. Many are at or near the top of the CGC census."

"This is an exciting new addition to our hobby," Samuels said, "the discovery of an original-owner Golden Age comic collection of this quality is sure to generate excitement and heated bidding. Collectors are going to be very impressed by these comics, all of which will be offered at auction with no reserve."

Highlights of the Harold Curtis Collection include:

* Batman #4 (DC, 1940) CGC VF 7.5 Off-white pages.

* Batman #14 (DC, 1943) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages.

* Batman #33 Double Cover (DC, 1946) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages.

* Comic Cavalcade #1 (DC, 1942) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white to white pages.

* Comic Cavalcade #4 (DC, 1943) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white to white pages.

* Detective Comics #110 (DC, 1946) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages.

* Detective Comics #115 (DC, 1946) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages.

The Harold Curtis Collection will be featured in Heritage's upcoming Comics Signature Auction #820, to be held May 11-13, 2006 in Dallas, Texas. For more information, please visit HeritageAuctions.com/Comics.

Can we place bets on Ron winning it?

Dont because there is one guy out there who keeps beating me on all of the 9.4's.

I bid 6000.00 on the Batman 55 and the Batman 58 in the comiclink auction and still lost.

There is one guy out there buying all of the 9.4's and he is has very deep pockets.

Many of you probably got this same email from Heritage last week. I wish they'd supplied a complete list of books that will be offered. I'm really curious what the Batman #14 will go for...

A new original-owner collection of comic books, dating from 1940-1954, will be offered to the collecting public by Heritage Auction Galleries.

According to Ben Samuels, Consignment Director for Heritage, "Harold Curtis grew up in Danielson, a small, rural town in northeastern Connecticut. He began buying comic books in 1940. On Saturdays, he and his younger brother and sister got up early in the morning in order to complete all of their weekly household chores before noon. Following lunch, their father rewarded each of them with an allowance payment of twenty five cents. It was with this financial windfall that Harold bought his weekly supply of comics, candy and movie theater tickets."

"Titles featuring Batman were Harold's main interest," Samuels continued, "but he also collected Boy Commandos, Wonder Woman, Sensation, Plastic Man, Smash Comics, Daredevil Comics, Boy Comics, Crime Does Not Pay, and even a few selected romance comics as his interest in girls began to grow... and understandably, as his interest in girls continued to develop, he eventually stopped buying comics — but even after marriage he refused to ever get rid of his beloved collection! Until now."

"Many of the earlier issues have 'Harold Curtis,' 'Harold,' 'H.E.C.,' 'Curtis,' or 'H. Curtis' written in ink on the cover," Samuels said. "Most issues have a distributor's 'p' mark in pencil or ink, others have a 'w', and a few of the war comics have a 'k' mark. While some of the earliest issues show considerable wear, most of the comics in this collection appear to have been read once, and were stored well. Most are high grade and have excellent paper quality. Many are at or near the top of the CGC census."

"This is an exciting new addition to our hobby," Samuels said, "the discovery of an original-owner Golden Age comic collection of this quality is sure to generate excitement and heated bidding. Collectors are going to be very impressed by these comics, all of which will be offered at auction with no reserve."

The Harold Curtis Collection will be featured in Heritage's upcoming Comics Signature Auction #820, to be held May 11-13, 2006 in Dallas, Texas. For more information, please visit HeritageAuctions.com/Comics.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif 50% of guide?

Not with someone like you floating around. Did you win the Batman 58?

Not with someone like you floating around. Did you win the Batman 58?

Alright you flushed me out. I will go 75% of guide but that includes shipping 27_laughing.gif

I took a look at the giant scan of that book. Beautiful yellow cover... Tough book to get in grade. Unfortunately heated competition for sure! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But, does anyone think CGC overgraded it? The front cover looks an awful lot like an 8.5 or 9.0. The spine and staples are not very crisp either. I am getting annoyed with recent CGC GA 9.4s that look like 8.5s from 2 years ago. IMHO, CGC is way more inconsistent with GA. Actually, I've noticed that CGC seems to go easy on the yellow covers for some reason.

At any rate, that is a sweet book!... No chance some of the big guns will forget about it?

Can we place bets on Ron winning it?

Dont because there is one guy out there who keeps beating me on all of the 9.4's.

I bid 6000.00 on the Batman 55 and the Batman 58 in the comiclink auction and still lost.

There is one guy out there buying all of the 9.4's and he is has very deep pockets.

There is always punishment bids. devil.gif

I think 14 is a tough issue to find in clean condition. A lot of the copies I have seen have shadows which I really dislike. The 8.5 that sold on Heritage a long time back was beyond ugly. It really seems the structure of the book is more important to CGC than a lot of other factors. No worry about me bidding on it. My sweet spot is 8.0, although I did bid on a few of the 9.2's on CLINK a while back but Ron beat me out on them. The 32 was real clean looking and did not appear to be pressed from the scans.