• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone notice the traffic in the GA forum?

34 posts in this topic

I seem to read more substantive information from the GA forum with less graemlin strings and OT ramblings to filter through. I also love the pictures of those rare and esoteric material that is not as abundant in the other forums.

thumbsup2.gif

Are you starting a graemlin war? poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I got started with Golden age books a couple of years ago, I was at a convention with $500 in my pocket and was gonna get some HG X-Men to add to my collection. Then I saw a gorgeous Planet Comics # 39 on a dealers wall and I just had to have it. There went $250 of my convention money. Since then, it has been pre-code Horror and Planet books for me.

I seem to read more substantive information from the GA forum with less graemlin strings and OT ramblings to filter through. I also love the pictures of those rare and esoteric material that is not as abundant in the other forums.

thumbsup2.gif

Are you starting a graemlin war? poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

popcorn.gif

For those of you that have only visited the Golden Age forum in the last year or so, I highly recommend this thread, which is one of the best:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...part=1&vc=1

Unfortunately, I changed image hosting companies since starting that thread and most of the covers I had posted are no longer there. They're still online, but with different URLs, and it's now long past the date by which editing is allowed, so I can't go back and fix them. Sorry about that, guys. sorry.gif

By the mid-90's I had accumulated about 150 pre-code horror books(the highlight being a White Mountain copy of Space Detective 4 and a VF copy of Sensation Mystery 107) and 150 random golden-age books(Rex the Wonderdog being the only consistent run), but sold all of them to buy a house. For the past couple of years I have built up quite a large collection of Bronze books, but have recently felt the tug of Pre-code again thanks to the pre-code thread and the GA group shot.. I am working on buying my second GA/Atom Age book right now(Wolverton cloud9.gif).

By the mid-90's I had accumulated about 150 pre-code horror books(the highlight being a White Mountain copy of Space Detective 4 and a VF copy of Sensation Mystery 107) and 150 random golden-age books(Rex the Wonderdog being the only consistent run), but sold all of them to buy a house. For the past couple of years I have built up quite a large collection of Bronze books, but have recently felt the tug of Pre-code again thanks to the pre-code thread and the GA group shot.. I am working on buying my second GA/Atom Age book right now(Wolverton cloud9.gif).

Wow how did you go from Pre Code horror to bronze books? Are they bronze Horror?

I totally was out of the hobby for about 6 years...bronze seemed like an affordable entry point, easy to get runs etc. And yeah, I have a lot of horror and super-hero. A few HG keys here and there. Basically a total hodge podge. I only have DC's now as I sold off ALL my Marvels insane.gif within the last 6 months. I figure let's go Pre-code while I'm waiting for my Enemy Ace and JLA books to become available.

All comics have at least some merit, but the GA and especially my beloved pre-code horror - well, there's just something about having that which any "self-respecting, "decent" person would've had nuthin' to do with once upon a time! Plus I enjoy a good spooky story. And Wolverton art. And all the EC's. And on...

For those of you that have only visited the Golden Age forum in the last year or so, I highly recommend this thread, which is one of the best:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...part=1&vc=1

Unfortunately, I changed image hosting companies since starting that thread and most of the covers I had posted are no longer there. They're still online, but with different URLs, and it's now long past the date by which editing is allowed, so I can't go back and fix them. Sorry about that, guys. sorry.gif

I just checked the thread and you are right, most of the scans that were in the thread are now gone. Yours are not the only ones missing. It's a shame. That was the best thread on the boards.

RHG

johnenock, did Redbeard's end up with your White Mountain Space Detective #4? I seem to remember seeing it listed in their inventory at one point, unless there were multiple WM copies of that issue or some such.

Yes, I sold quite a few of the good ones to Redbeard's. Nice guy. The books only flaw was a Corner crease on the lower right corner.