• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help my client get repaid by Lighthouse Auctions

108 posts in this topic

Why keep threatening... but waiting so long?

Well... the answer is simple... Mr (X) still held out hope that TJ would get in contact with me, give me a long explanation for the problems, and Mr. (X) would hope to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Although, after the March letter, TJ did get in contact with me and starting making small weekly payments (around $20-$50 a week) and was paying the money back through money orders. They were sporadic, but they were coming in on a somewhat consistent basis.

At the end of 2005, there was a borderline breakthrough as TJ sent about $600 worth of money orders, and was "buying a new collection". This was, by his argument, the only way he could ever pay Mr. (X) back. Never mind asking his wife to help him pay the money back to resolve this. Mr. (X) has never received a lump sum payment. But Mr. (X) still willing to give the benefit of the doubt -- despite being angry and skeptical -- offered to take books in credit back towards the debt. But because TJ was partnered on the deal, that became difficult. TJ has since disappeared since his latest stint on the boards.

To be fair, we've tried to negotiate with TJ, we've given him payment plans, and he has at times kept in good contact. But in the last few months, I've gotten one PM and no phone calls. Nothing. We did receive some slabs which are all posted in that thread. Mr (X) has bent over backwards and done far more than what most of you would do in terms of being generous in spirit towards TJ. He has given him every opportunity over the last two years to pay him back. We have threatened litigation many times, but are at a last resort. We intend that we will have to now press forward and take it public.

But publicity is not punitive, but rather cautionary. My client wishes to warn ALL of you, at his expense, not to deal with TJ (Lighthouse). We have not seen ONE DIME of sales from the trades or slabs he sold. NOT ONE DIME. My client realizes that by you not buying books from TJ HE LOSES... but he is sick when he reads more and more people getting ripped off and hearing the same excuses for the last two years.

Also know that there are at least three others where loans of $2400, $1500 and $1000 were loaned to TJ and those took threats and other measures for him to pay back.

This is the end of the road. If you have further questions about what happened (as I have left out details) I will try and answer to the extent that I can.

Mr X is far more patient than I would be in the same situation...

LH's deal breakers have long gone past the point of being humorous or easily excused due to supposed "problems". I think it well past time for Arch to ban him from selling in the Marketplace threads so others don't fall prey to the same grief...

Jim

I will never attempt to purchase anything from LH again, but after person_without_enough_empathying on his thread, I did get a full refund and I did eventually get my books. Granted, we're talking about $26 here.

Methinks if he attempted to follow through on stuff like my purchase of his TPBs, rather than blow it off, refund the money and send the books anyway, that he'd have a bit more cash to send along.

I hope this public statement will be the first step towards that...
Unfortunatly Brian, I dont know how much it will help. Having dealt with people like this before (im sure all of us have) we realize that no amount of pressure or shame works because they dont care about the shame. It doesnt bother them. People like this are the ultimate users and all that matters in the end is they take care of themselves to the detriment of all others.

It is not Greggy. Not that I think anyone was serious in posting that.

You guys believe anything said half the time. We need a joke graemlin for the literal people. devil.gif

I just meant getting him banned from the Marketplace. I agree with your assessment.

I think it is a no-brainer that he should never be allowed to try and sell anything else here again.

Just how many people are owed books or money by this seller?

Thanks for posting all that Foolkiller.

It actually hit a nerve. That someone can be so callous to goodwill and throw it back in your face. We are not talking about an armed robber here, we are talking about something much, much worse. Someone who exploits generosity.

If there is anything the rest of us can do please just ask. Have you considered talking to Mark and the other lawyers? I feel sorry for your client and hope for a breakthrough soon.

I know the legal course of action that I would advise pursuing. It's one I've consulted with some other Texas lawyers with, and the wheels, as they say, are in motion. I sent a final demand email, and if we receive payment in full in the next 7 days, well, then all will be resolved. There isn't a lot of hope, but I suppose there's always some hope...

I just meant getting him banned from the Marketplace. I agree with your assessment.

I think it is a no-brainer that he should never be allowed to try and sell anything else here again.

He still owes me!!!!!!!!! confused-smiley-013.gif

Brian, I'm curious about all the threats of criminal action. This is a default on a loan, pure and simple. Why not just take him to court (civil action) and be done with this? In fact, the amount is so small it would probably be handled by a small claims court. Get the judgment and an enforcement order and then go after Lighthouse's assets. What am I missing here?

he still owes me a set of the jim lee superman's. Christo_pull_hair.gif

he still owes me a set of the jim lee superman's. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Ditto Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gifsign-rantpost.gif