• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shill control - ask not what your moderators can do for you...

163 posts in this topic

• Administrator

But what you can do for your moderators...

Ok. That was cheesey.

Here's what you can do. Post any known free email providers here. I'll ban them. smile.gif Note that ALL of the obvious ones, yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc. are long gone.

One thing I was pondering was whether to collect this list publicly, thus putting shills on notice about which emails are banned and which are not, or to ask people to PM them to me so that shills can waste time registering accounts only to find out they're banned already. What do you guys think?

The downside of the "secret" list is that anyone who contributes to it may spend time reporting free email providers that are already banned.

I'm curious...but will this effect any of the long term members who have email acounts set up through any of these free email services?

I ask this because I thought I remembered some legitimate members having these type of accounts. Or will there be some type of grandfather clause for them?

What happened to the credit card verification idea for new members? That would control the shill problem a lot better than banning free email providers.

What happened to the credit card verification idea for new members? That would control the shill problem a lot better than banning free email providers.

I don't think many people are going to want to surrender their credit card number to some company just to join a message board. What about younger collectors who don't have one? Sounds like WAY too much hassle just to control a couple of shills. confused-smiley-013.gif

• Administrator

Unlikely to be worth the effort for what is only a marginally annoying problem, and highly likely to discourage many new members from participating. This is one of those solutions that only sounds good until you think about it.

Unlikely to be worth the effort for what is only a marginally annoying problem, and highly likely to discourage many new members from participating. This is one of those solutions that only sounds good until you think about it.

Is there an echo in here? tongue.gif

Maybe to you, but I have thought about it and I love the idea. You don't have to charge them any money. Just run the card to make sure they are legitimate. People who don't want to give their information (or who can't get a parent or adult friend with a card to sign them up) can read the boards anonymously and just not post.

So am I to assume that there was never any real plan to do this even though the CGC folks at WonderCon were talking about it being in the works already?

So am I to assume that there was never any real plan to do this even though the CGC folks at WonderCon were talking about it being in the works already?

Come on, Scott!

Harshen, Shawn & Borock were at WonderCon! None of them know what's going on! tongue.gifcool.gif

I think before every member joins they should have to have their eyeballs scanned before they join and or maybe a handprint scanning with some DNA analysis.

The it has to get checked everytime before they log in.

I think shills should be forced to wear a pair of greggy's used short-shorts!

devil.gif

Very cool but I would love to see who the shills are. I think they should be exposed and embarrassed a bit.

If they had no problem talking nonsense about other people through a cowardly shill account than they should be exposed.

Arch: They should have their hands tied, and placed in the center of town, for all of us townfolk to see and remember.

Very cool but I would love to see who the shills are. I think they should be exposed and embarrassed a bit.

If they had no problem talking nonsense about other people through a cowardly shill account than they should be exposed.

Arch: They should have their hands tied, and placed in the center of town, for all of us townfolk to see and remember.

Yes first expose them and then a stoning! I like it! I like it alot! And I wont throw little pebbles i tell ya. I will throw those rocks that you throw when you try to make them skip on the water like that I will.

Yes first expose them and then a stoning! I like it! I like it alot! And I wont throw little pebbles i tell ya. I will throw those rocks that you throw when you try to make them skip on the water like that I will.

foreheadslap.gifI can't believe I left that out. makepoint.gif