• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shill control - ask not what your moderators can do for you...

163 posts in this topic

Very cool but I would love to see who the shills are. I think they should be exposed and embarrassed a bit.

If they had no problem talking nonsense about other people through a cowardly shill account than they should be exposed.

Arch: They should have their hands tied, and placed in the center of town, for all of us townfolk to see and remember.

Yes first expose them and then a stoning! I like it! I like it alot! And I wont throw little pebbles i tell ya. I will throw those rocks that you throw when you try to make them skip on the water like that I will.

foreheadslap.gifI can't believe I left that out. makepoint.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Very cool but I would love to see who the shills are. I think they should be exposed and embarrassed a bit.

If they had no problem talking nonsense about other people through a cowardly shill account than they should be exposed.

Arch: They should have their hands tied, and placed in the center of town, for all of us townfolk to see and remember.

Yes first expose them and then a stoning! I like it! I like it alot! And I wont throw little pebbles i tell ya. I will throw those rocks that you throw when you try to make them skip on the water like that I will.

Drop a boulder on them! You know like the one Wylie Coyote would drop on Roadrunner. But we wouldnt miss. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Drop a boulder on them! You know like the one Wylie Coyote would drop on Roadrunner. But we wouldnt miss. 893applaud-thumb.gif

and if none of the above works

hanging.jpg

Maybe to you, but I have thought about it and I love the idea. You don't have to charge them any money.

the truth is, requiring CC is the sure-fire way to kill subscribership, even if u don't charge money.

people just don't like putting their CC online. ebay, initially, didn't. at one point, they required checking-account verification (that's when i signed up). i know it took me a long_time before i signed up. they've since revoked that part (i think cause they weren't getting nearly as many sign-ups).

i know if hit a chat-board requiring my CC, i'd turn tails and run.

and like Arch said, it seems like draconian measures for what really amounts to a "small" nuissance.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it. One of two outcomes will happen:

1) They show up swinging away and make themselves obvious and end up banned before a day is up.

or

2) They decide to show up and behave well enough to stay part of the forum community.

Taking away the free emails will help curb the amount of rebirths of banned members and that's about the best that can reasonably be done I think.

Hang them by their toes and beat them down with their dirty reeboks(or shoe of choice).

Some here still think you and us are shills still. tongue.gif

I think, I have bought from enough forumites to disprove that theory. You on the other hand....Well, you are selling some Joes, guess that disproves you as a shill. Still waiting for you to unload those Joe 21's though. grin.gif

The free emails hide the ip thats why they need to stop the freebies.

Yeah, let's make everyone pay to be a member . . . and while we're at it, let's start charging for use of the internet . . . and, and, ooh charge tax on every sale and purchase, and, and, and . . . screwy.gif

We can always just appoint a "censor board" and limit free speech entirely . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

fuggit, I miss a good shillin' . . . grin.gif

But what you can do for your moderators...

Ok. That was cheesey.

Here's what you can do. Post any known free email providers here. I'll ban them. smile.gif Note that ALL of the obvious ones, yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc. are long gone.

One thing I was pondering was whether to collect this list publicly, thus putting shills on notice about which emails are banned and which are not, or to ask people to PM them to me so that shills can waste time registering accounts only to find out they're banned already. What do you guys think?

The downside of the "secret" list is that anyone who contributes to it may spend time reporting free email providers that are already banned.

uh, no offense Arch . . . grin.gif

The free emails hide the ip thats why they need to stop the freebies.

Yeah, let's make everyone pay to be a member . . . and while we're at it, let's start charging for use of the internet . . . and, and, ooh charge tax on every sale and purchase, and, and, and . . . screwy.gif

yeahok.gif

What is beyond me is why anyone would feel the need to go to the trouble to hide who they are in the first place. I can understand being secretive about your personal life to prevent thieves from coming to your home and taking your collective stash, but creating new users just for the purpose of pulling other people's chains smacks of middle school antics. Maybe I am being naive, but I just don't see the need or the point. But then again, I have a life too. If what you are doing prevents Bug or Hammer/comickeys/whoever from posting, then more power to you.

Scott

I do find them amusing. I would say what should be done is after they eliminate the free emails and then the IP addresses that produce the shills they should hold once a month SHILL DAY!!! Everyone gets to start a shill account and flame each other!

Now that could be alot of fun!

Maybe to you, but I have thought about it and I love the idea. You don't have to charge them any money.

the truth is, requiring CC is the sure-fire way to kill subscribership, even if u don't charge money.

people just don't like putting their CC online. ebay, initially, didn't. at one point, they required checking-account verification (that's when i signed up). i know it took me a long_time before i signed up. they've since revoked that part (i think cause they weren't getting nearly as many sign-ups).

i know if hit a chat-board requiring my CC, i'd turn tails and run.

and like Arch said, it seems like draconian measures for what really amounts to a "small" nuissance.

I don't think everyone else thinks of it as a small nuisance. I also think that the "loss" of new members who might be hypersensitive to a CC check by CGC needs to be counterbalanced against the potential loss of long-time members who are no longer interested in participating because the board is full of juvenile shill attacks.