• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: LEE!!!!

33 posts in this topic

The prices are getting to a point where it seems like it alienates fans that don't have thousands of dollars kicking around. Does Lee even do convention sketches anymore?

Makes me wonder how much they get on a kick back from the sale 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

By "they" you mean Albert? The standard is 30-40%.

Actually, I meant the artist...

Okay. Reverse the numbers.

The prices are getting to a point where it seems like it alienates fans that don't have thousands of dollars kicking around. Does Lee even do convention sketches anymore?

Makes me wonder how much they get on a kick back from the sale 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Then that would be 60-70%.

Then that would be 60-70%.

makepoint.gif

Wow! I always thought it would be around 10-15%. Why wouldn't the artist just sell the art themselves in that case. I guess there are various reasons since they have reps but I'm shocked.

Wow! I always thought it would be around 10-15%. Why wouldn't the artist just sell the art themselves in that case. I guess there are various reasons since they have reps but I'm shocked.

That's actually the standard percentage for representation in the "real" art world as well (I just went through the 40% ringer over the weekend 893applaud-thumb.gif)

Time, access to buyers (either on a site or in person), infrastructure, interest (some people just don't like to sell or are uncomfortable setting prices for their own art)... there are plenty of reasons to use a rep and those numbers are the cost of doing business. There are people who charge less, of course.

As for "giving" money away, good reps actually create sales that most working artists can't create, so in reality reps are finding money that might not otherwise exist.

Actually, the standard is 15-25% for most of us comic art dealers.

Mitch I.

You'd obviously know better than I would but I've had conversations with people where 20% seemed like a good deal to them. Maybe I've just been talking to the unlucky few....