• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ARE COMIC SHOPS DOOMED? ARE MIDDLE AGED MEN THE ONLY FOLKS BUYING COMICS?

70 posts in this topic

Sorry, I was too busy laughing.

and......and.......lol27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Sorry, I'll get back to you later.

27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif

I guess I just don't get it... I mean, taken in context, when you're mocking someone like this on a company like CGC's message board, it just seems either naive or uneven.

Sure, he's greasy, but he's no crook. confused-smiley-013.gif

Okay....I'm better.

I think he should find a chatboard of newbies and post there, because he will find a market for his stuff there. He has no interest in a dialog here....he obviously had no idea who the posters are.....mainly serious collectors and cranks like you and me. I just don't think he took two minutes to investigate what the boards were all about. It's funny, because it's just too obvious.

Be his bud if you want....I assume you've already ordered several copies of the book as Easter presents? smirk.gif

Look, I am enjoying you go through the twelve stations of cross that we all did when the Ewert thing hit the fan....

1. Shock

2. Confusion

3. Disbelief

4. Anger (general)

5. Outrage

6. Anger (level 2)

7. Moral indignation

8. A sense of betrayal

9. Anger (level 3 directed at Ewert)

10. Anger (level 4 directed at CGC)

11. A renewed sense of activism

12. Anger (level 5 directed at anyone who isn't manning the barracks with you right now, this minute and jumping a bus to Sarasota to burn the damn place down!)

But you're going through them all in 1 afternoon and most of us were spent on this subject six months ago. There is legal action in the works against Ewert (and many of us contributed what we could to a legal fund). We have given CGC a very hard time here. Many of the most solid CGC supporters have reconsidered their positions and the level of their investment. CGC has been in info lockdown. The word HAS spread out among the community. People have formed thier own opinions on CGC's level of complicity. Everyone has a different one and is acting accordingly.

That's the take, MK.

Look, I am enjoying you go through the twelve stations of cross that we all did when the Ewert thing hit the fan....

1. Shock

2. Confusion

3. Disbelief

4. Anger (general)

5. Outrage

6. Anger (level 2)

7. Moral indignation

8. A sense of betrayal

9. Anger (level 3 directed at Ewert)

10. Anger (level 4 directed at CGC)

11. A renewed sense of activism

12. Anger (level 5 directed at anyone who isn't manning the barracks with you right now, this minute and jumping a bus to Sarasota to burn the damn place down!)

But you're going through them all in 1 afternoon and most of us were spent on this subject six months ago. There is legal action in the works against Ewert (and many of us contributed what we could to a legal fund). We have given CGC a very hard time here. Many of the most solid CGC supporters have reconsidered their positions and the level of their investment. CGC has been in info lockdown. The word HAS spread out among the community. People have formed thier own opinions on CGC's level of complicity. Everyone has a different one and is acting accordingly.

That's the take, MK.

Please, I've been saying that CGC was crooked from the beginning. My only shock today is finding that you all have (apparently) finally gotten on board.

Remember the old days of black helicopters and conspiracy theories? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Negotiating with Comic Buyers & Getting The Price You Want For Your Comics At Comic Book Conventions

Here are their eleven ways to counter the most popular tactics that comic buyers use when visiting dealer tables at comic shows::

_ Tactic 1: "Take it or leave it."

· What you should do:

- Walk away from the deal but leave a way to get back in contact. For example: "Need time to think it over; I'll get back to you." Or, "That's not what I'm looking for right now; why don't you get back to me."

_ Tactic 2: "Sorry that's all I've got."

· What you should do:

- Don't believe it--don't acknowledge.

- Ask, "What else are you interested in?"

- Change the shape of the deal. For example: "What about taking this $5.00 comic for $3.00 along with MY price for the comic you want, to close out the deal?"

_ Tactic 3: "You gotta do better; your price seems high."

· What you should do:

- Ask, "How much better?"

- Ask, "If I can do better, will you buy it?"

- Limit your authority ("My hands are tied").

- Sell the strengths and benefits of your offer. ("This is the only near-mint copy available at this convention," or "This is right in line with its value in the price guide.")

_ Tactic 4: "What if ... buy three, will you toss in this comic as an extra?"

· What you should do:

- Don't be afraid to say "no."

- Don't give in too quickly or easily. (Ask, "Why that comic?")

- Don't let "giving in" become a pattern. (Say, "Okay, since you're buying three copies, I'll do it just this once." Then reinforce the purchase the collector just made by saying, "Thank you. You really got a good deal there.")

_ Tactic 5: Price nibbling, or "Would you take $12.00 for that ($18.00) item?"

· What you should do:

- Ask, "Are you making an offer?"

- Repeat your price and justify it. (Example: "This is the only mint copy here.")

- Ask, "Is $12.00 the best you can do?" and follow up with "Why is that?"

_ Tactic 6: Playing dumb (as a way to get more information about how low you will go on your prices)

· What you should do:

- Clarify by asking, "What specifically do you want to know?"

- Repeat the facts and your prices--give no new data.

_ Tactic 7: "How much are you willing to take for that Batman #150?"

· What you should say:

- "I'm willing to take the best offer. What's your offer?"

_ Tactic #8: "I need time to think about that price."

· What you might do:

- Push the idea that the clock is running. Example: "I can understand your hesitation. However, the price is good only until I reach my break-even point at this convention--and I'm almost there--then it goes back to its original price."

_ Tactic #9: "I'll give you five minutes to accept this offer; once I walk away from this table the offer is no good."

· What you should do:

- Don't get defensive. Ask, "Why the deadline?"

- Let him know the deal isn't that important to you. Example: "Given the importance of this deal, the deadline is immaterial to me. However, I'd be happy to continue to discuss the best price with you."

_ Tactic #10: Threats/tantrums (... yes, believe it or not, this does happen)

· What you should do:

- Ignore or defer: "Won't even take you serious on that."

- Restate emotions: "You seem angry."

- Ignore: Move on to the next buyer.

These situations don't happen all the time--but they do happen. When all else fails, try asking a direct question. You will be amazed at how often a buyer is willing to pay. A lot of people just want to get the "haggling" over with. They come right down to their bottom line immediately.

_ Tactic #11: "It costs too much."

Now we get to the biggie, the one you'll probably hear most often. It's the one you've got to learn to overcome if you're going to make money at conventions.

"It costs too much" can mean two very different things:

a) "I can't afford it."

b) "I don't think it's the best use of my money."

· What you should do to overcome "It costs too much" (i.e., "I can't afford it").

Recognize that the comic world is filled with collectors who want comics but cannot afford them. Some of these are certain to find their way to you. You do not want to offend these people, but you can't waste your time with them either. They must be handled in such a way that they come to the conclusion that they cannot afford to buy without your telling them that. If you tell them they are not able to buy, they may well be humiliated. In this case, they'll both never become customers of yours and may well spread negative press about you and your "shoddy" business. You don't need this.

With these collectors then, you should do the following:

- Thank them for their interest in your high-priced

comics.

- Point out its benefits.

- Then qualify them: "Would you agree, Jim, that this Fantastic Four #4 is in the best condition you've seen at this price?" Pause for an answer. "Can you tell me whether you are in a position to go ahead and get one today?"

The collector who is not financially able to go ahead will let you know. Their voice will break. They will look away from you. They'll falter in some way or another. You'll know then that the problem has nothing to do with your comic but with them. In such situations, your job is to break off this contact as graciously as possible and as quickly as possible without in any way offending the person before you:

"I can tell, Jim, that you need some time to think about this. Don't worry. It's a big decision, and I don't want you to feel pressured in any way. Write down my name and number. Just drop me a note or call when you're ready to move ahead on this. I know you'll be happy with the comic and I'm anxious to make sure you own one."

Then end the discussion quickly.

Many dealers, after becoming aware that they are dealing with a collector who doesn't have the money, go out of their way to insult this person. Don't fall in this trap. When people are ridiculed they are three times as likely to tell other collectors about their experience than if they are made happy. You can't afford this negative word-of-mouth publicity, especially since it doesn't take much longer to be nice than to be nasty. Even if they don't have a money, their friends might. Keep this in mind.

But it is, of course, the other objection that you should really concentrate on:

"It costs too much" ("I don't think this is a good use of my money").

Under these circumstances, your job is clear. You've got to show the collector that what you are offering is reasonable and does meet his needs or wants sufficiently strongly to justify him in spending his money.

Here are some ways of doing that:

- Use minimizing words such as "only" (It only costs $8.00); "low" (The price is a low $8.00); "mere" (It will cost you a mere $8.00); and so on. Such phrases suggest to many collectors that the price is reasonable.

- Tie the price in with a strong description of all the benefits that suggest the collector is getting a super value for the money. Example: "Now the price for this fine-condition comic with milk-white pages, glossy cover, and tight spine is only $85.00."

- Suggest possible prices that are higher than the price you're selling it for, which will sound low by comparison. Example: "You would probably pay $200.00 for a book in this condition, or at least $150.00? Well, all it will cost you now is $85.00."

- Offset your high price by emphasizing the comic's future value. Example: "This (30.00) book has doubled over the last 3 years. Because of demand and its scarcity, it will at least do that over the next 3 years, and you'll double your investment."

- Offset your high price by emphasizing savings. Example: "If you want this ($200.00) book, I'd buy it now. When the new price guide comes out in two months, you'll have to pay 20% or $40.00 for this same book. Buy now and you can save yourself $40.00 if not more."

- Cite an Overstreet oversight based on your own opinion. Example: "Overstreet really missed the boat on this ($75.00) book. You cannot find these anywhere, and if you do you'll easily pay double what I'm asking for this book. The price guide has undervalued this book."

- Cite your volume of sales. "Yes, these Wolverine #1s are priced high. However, we've sold 75 already at this price, and at this rate I won't have any left by the end of the convention. I'd pick up some now."

FINAL TIP:

Because one of the things you must learn to do in order to make big money at conventions is to handle objections--especially about your prices--keep an Objections Log. This is a list of all the objections that collectors give you and your answers to them. Most of us are not very quick on our feet. "Winging it" doesn't help us. It hurts. So be prepared. Whenever you hear an objection from now on, write down your best response. Refine it until you are sure you have the best possible response.

Don't let the simplicity of these techniques fool you.

They work!

you know what Hook? I read this whole thing and it reminds me of every comics dealer I ever bought from or met! This is just basic sales advice, and a lot of it actually works in ANY kind of negotiation situation. I think every successful dealer either already knew all this intuitivelt, or learned it from someone or somewhere. Dont you think? Ive heard every one of these reactions and tactics at conventions when buying books.

you know what Hook? I read this whole thing and it reminds me of every comics dealer I ever bought from or met! This is just basic sales advice, and a lot of it actually works in ANY kind of negotiation situation. I think every successful dealer either already knew all this intuitivelt, or learned it from someone or somewhere. Dont you think? Ive heard every one of these reactions and tactics at conventions when buying books.

Exactly. Why people care about [embarrassing lack of self control] like this or PGX is beyond me. confused-smiley-013.gif

guy's still a bozo though to come here selling his wares...and "innocently"trying to engage us in "discussions" which are transparently and selfishly planned. and lots of his other advice is useless.

I agree. This is why I compared him to Krighton.

You're right Aman....but it's just funny seeing it all scripted like this. It's the way it's presented.

It seems that a number of folks have been distracted and offended by my sig line...

WTF are you talking about Jethro?

What you have is NOT a sig line, as I have sigs DISABLED and your crepe still shows up. It's something you seem to cut-n-paste in each and every time you post here.

Bizarre. screwy.gif

Hi, snake oil salesman!

hi.gif

And with that, may I present "Medicine Show" by Big Audio Dynamite:

"Covered wagon medicine show

Take you to the place where the healing flows

Weak in spirit we got the juice

Wont save your soul it`ll shine your shoes

Treated king to kangaroo

Santa Fe to Timbuktu

Don`t be fooled by imitation

This is the stuff that cured a nation

We took the tube and the high plains too

Never stopped long just passing through

A drop of the laughter of the maids of France

Makes a hopeless cripple dance

It was really vile weather

When we got to tarred and feathered

You could hear the six guns sound

As they chased us out of town

In India we`re all the rave

Discovered that its great as aftershave

Dropped in the sea just off Japan

Swapped 20 bottles for an aqua-walkman

Immunity from ridicule

Improves your brains if you`re a fool

And I read in the Middle East

They traded some for a hostage release

Now if you`re bald it`ll give you hair

If you got straight trousers it`ll give you flares

Feeling up you`ll get depressed

Out of style here`s a brand new dress

The stuff we sell is just the best

Passing all consumer test

Days of heaven nights of sin

Voodoo stick and sharks fin

When all around you seems like hell

Just one sip will make you well

Multipurpose in a jar

If you ain`t ill it`ll fix your car

In days of yore for all bad feelings

Washing socks and stripping ceilings

Nowadays its used medicinally

For all known human malady

Guaranteed don`t you know

Money back?

You`ll get a no!

It`s the one and only medicine show "

acclaim.gif

Holy cow!! One of my all-time favorite groups growing up!! What a blast from the past! thumbsup2.gifhail.gifhail.gif

I look forward to lots and lots of discussions on this board in the future...

You're not going to get any discussion here. Scammers and snake oil salesmen are not welcome here.

Like Krighton? yeahok.gif

I haven't followed that thread (or that poster) very much at all. Is there a recap somewhere?

It's a similar scenario. Semi-clever marketing in order to drum up business. There's no recap that I know of... confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey now, I was sharing in the joy of discovery, the selling came a bit later. No snake-oil here. Snake oil-salesman would be someone that tries to get you to buy into something that isn't real. My entire thread was real and I scanned the books as I pulled them out of the box.

Of course I was going to sell them, that was the entire reason for my uncle sending them to me. But the reason I started the thread initially was to share in what I was finding. I thought this would be a good place to do that since my wife didn't give a rats what was in the box, it was just more clutter for the family room.

Recently, I was in a comic shop...one of the few in my city and started asking myself this question. Why do comic shops exist? And then I found myself asking some further related questions:

1) Why would someone want to go out of their way to buy comics when

they could have them delivered to their door?

2) Why should I pay full face value for any comic at a store, when I

know that the inflated price is just for covering costs of the comic

shop doing business? This essentially doubles the cost of my

subscriptions, or halves the number of comics I can buy each month,

depending on how you look at it.

It used to be that comics were displayed just about everywhere, and

kids often decided to buy a comic instead of a candy bar. (they were

both around 50 cents) Now, those same kids, if they can even FIND

comics for sale at a local grocery store, have a choice between an 80

cent candy bar or a comic book that is maybe $2.50. In other words,

the price of comic books has somehow been inflated to about 3 times

what it really should be. $1 an issue is the most a comic should cost

at retail today.

With the increasing cost and decreased distribution, comics are slowly

and surely becoming a hobby for middle aged men. They were originally

designed for the masses, much like a newspaper that would likely be

thrown away in a few days. Print runs of half a million or more were

common. It is only because loads of kids read all of those comics that

there is such a market for super hero movies these days. Todays kids

are growing up thinking of comics as an uncool thing, and they probably

won't watch the movies when they grow up, either.

It doesn't bode well for the industry as a whole.

What do you think?

Alan C

How I Stopped Settling For Chump Change For My Comics on eBay

www.comicbookgoldmine.com/11-freeblog.htm

4 Steps I'd Take To Turn $1000 Into $10,000 Selling Comic Books on eBay

www.comicbookgoldmine.com/10-comics.htm

silvers24 buys comics and he's not middle aged gossip.gif

I find it interesting that only 1 or 2 people have responded to my question about comic shops. It seems that a number of folks have been distracted and offended by my sig line...and for those people I sincerely apologize if you've been offended. Now, don't get me wrong, I WILL continue to to include my sig line as everyone else on this board does, has a right to do and as I have below. I would ask that if you do find it distracting that you look past it as I do when I see other sig lines in other forums.

But I would be a heck of lot more interested in your responses, debates, disagreements and push back on the content of my posts and questions.

So, now that a few of you have had lots of fun at my expense smile.gif...can we get back to the question of whether comic shops doomed? I'm a middle aged man, am I the only one reading them or have I misread the kids of today.

Thank you and best,

Alan C

How I Stopped Settling For Chump Change For My Comics on eBay

www.comicbookgoldmine.com/11-freeblog.htm

4 Steps I'd Take To Turn $1000 Into $10,000 Selling Comic Books on eBay

www.comicbookgoldmine.com/10-4steps.htm

I don't think they are "doomed", but its not looking good. I worked at a local comic store full time for a while, and still help out every now and then and I'll say that most of our customers were middle aged guys. They are in the greatest quantity and have the greatest amount of money. Out of all of the many subscribers we had I don't actually remember a single person who came in who was under about 17. If they were younger they came in with their parents who are middle aged and the ones buying the comics. But sadly no more running down to the comic store after school to pick up the latest issue of whatever book it is.

We just opened a second store a few miles down the road targeting the University of Central Florida's crowd, and I have noticed it has been successful. Most of the customers are college guys--of course they don't always buy something. The reliable buyers are still the middle aged guys for the most part. There is a comic store chain in Orlando called Coliseum of Comics and I think they are getting the majority of the under 18 crowd.

Ordering online is, of course, cheaper, however you can't beat being able to hold a comic up to the light to try and see if there are any bends or flaws before you purchase it. You can only do that at your LCS.

Oh my gosh not another "comics are doomed" thread. You bozos are all alike. Cryin' the Fall then secretly wishin' it happens so that you can buy your Hulk 181 9.4 for twenty greenbacks. Well I can tell you one thing Alan. Not gonna happen. You must be dreamin'.