• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Wolverine Doesn't Smoke Anymore...

105 posts in this topic

Your first post is in response to a thread that has gone more than five years with no response?

I'm quite a fan of Quesada's inflammatory and outrageously over-the-top interviews. I think they're funny and sincere, even when I disagree. And I apologize if digging up old threads is irksome, but I was just so upset and outraged and stunned that a reader of X-MEN comics would express bigotry and homophobia and intolerance, especially in an attempt to score points on such a childish and petty grievance.

Wolverine quit smoking. Does it make Wolverine any less of a hero? If any thing, he's accomplished something many people fail to do at the expense of their health and the time they will have with their loved ones. Is there a single Wolverine story that couldn't be told without Logan's penchant for tobacco? Of course there isn't. If you disagree with that, I respect that, but what I do not respect is hate-speech and the appalling notion that being gay is anything to be ashamed of or something that should not be shown in a positive light, and that smoking and homosexuality are equally destructive forces in society. That's an outrageous and hurtful lie.

Why the **** is a homophobe reading X-MEN? Did Excelsior really never notice that you could decode the meaning a lot of X-MEN comics by replacing the word "mutant" with the word "gay"?

And is Wolverine really a murderer, outside of the times he was mind controlled?

- Ib

First up, I'm a smoker, so I consider you and the gang of health stormtroopers marching across this nation offensive. I smoke because I like it, I was hooked after my first cigar and I didn't have to learn to like it, it was just good. If you don't like me smoking, then go away and leave me alone. All the graphic labels and pity party stories in the world won't change the fact that I like it. So it takes a few years off of my life, GREAT! It's just the adult diaper wearing and dementia years anyway and I don't want those! So all of this garbage that you're spewing about tobacco is hate speech to me. Take it somewhere else. You hate smoking, I get it. NIck Fury and Wolverine have smoked since their creation and I dislike the change. At the same time, so little has been done with them that has been of any real interest in the last decade or two, I didn't even know about the change until you resurrected this thread.

I don't think for one second that Jack Kirby and Stan Lee had gays in mind when they started the X-Men. It was nineteen-sixty-freakin'-three. You can make the argument that it was an allegory for the civil rights movement but in reality Jack and Stan knew their audience: kids and teenagers. Who feels like they don't belong anywhere? Kids and teenagers. Who feels like outcasts? Kids and teenagers. Who wants fantastic powers that just appear one day? Kids and teenagers. Who buys comics? Kids and teenagers. So while the title has mutated (*snicker*) into an book that has been adopted and perverted to the ends of some "minority" groups, it was just a book about outcasts.

Oh, and you may go.

How does one "avoid" smoke when it's in the vicinity....?

hm

For the record, I don't give a damn about what someone does to their own body. You want to destroy it by polluting it with chemicals, by all means, have at it.

But when (generic) your chemical addiction directly affects me in ways that I cannot avoid, we have a problem.

And when a person inflicts their chemical dependency on their children, who range from uncomfortable to allergic, then what...?

So it takes a few years off of my life, GREAT! It's just the adult diaper wearing and dementia years anyway and I don't want those!

Instead you can get the chemo and tar cough years! Those are awesome. :banana:

Interesting. All these replies chastising Quesada, yet not one of you responded to any of the issues he raised; that smoking tobacco causes serious health problems, and he didn't want Wolverine to in any way advocate or support that lifestyle.

Did any of you criticizing Quesada actually respond to this point? No. Instead, you expressed outrage, claiming that Quesada has no right to mould Wolverine to suit Quesada's preferences because he doesn't own the character. Excuse me? He was Editor in Chief of Marvel Comics; that means yes, he does get to make Wolverine whatever he wants. You can disagree with what he does, but the idea that you should control Wolverine while the Editor in Chief of Marvel doesn't is inane. If the boss at Marvel doesn't get to decide what Marvel does, why have a boss?

Oh, and then there's Excelsior, protesting that Marvel allows gay relationships but not smoking. Please show me all the statistics where gay relationships have caused people to die from heart and lung problems. Please, share with me how gay relationships cause people to die from health failures, please, explain why gay people are some sort of blight, or maybe just admit that in response to something you didn't like, you decided to reveal your bigotry, prejudice and hatred for difference.

And I have to wonder, why is someone like you even reading an X-MEN comic or anything with an X-MEN character? What do you think "mutant" means? The X-MEN were a parable for tolerance, taking a stand against hate-speech and prejudice. Mutants have become a metaphor for homosexuality; the X-MEN represent the antithesis of your prejudice and fear, so I have to wonder why someone like you would even go near the material in the first place.

Go on. Ban me. Delete this post. After all, your high standards permit gay bashing, certainly, they won't allow something like this message to be tolerated.

Disgusting.

- Ib

Hi Joe! :hi:

First up, I'm a smoker, so I consider you and the gang of health stormtroopers marching across this nation offensive.

I find it disappointing that you see my opinion as impugning your rights.

I do not debate your right to engage in your substances of choice. I do not judge other human beings for their personal lifestyle choices. I don't know you. I don't know anything about you. It is not for me to evaluate decisions that are yours to make, and I have no business showing you anything but respect for your right to choose.

However, Wolverine is not a public domain character; he is in the care of whoever is in control of Marvel's creative division. And if the person in charge does not want Wolverine to be an advocate for smoking, that's a legitimate and reasonable decision for a fictional character who is mass-marketed across multiple lines of products for both children and adults. The EiC may not have control over every depiction and use of Wolverine, but the comics are his kingdom and he's within his rights to decline to participate in the idea that smoking is fashionable or cool.

Furthermore, I don't think my outrage against homophobia makes me a stormtrooper. I don't think my disgust in seeing homosexuality compared to a carcinogen is at all unreasonable, but if you'd care to debate those topics, I would be pleased to read what you have to say.

- Ib

Simple. Leave. As long as what I'm doing isn't violating any laws or the rules of the premises, I'm free to do it and anyone who doesn't like it is free to leave.

Somewhere along the way, this country went way off track. We've decided that we are protected from offense when just the opposite is what is guaranteed by our constitution. We have the right to be offensive (within legal limits, I can't parade around a playground naked lol ). If someone doesn't like what I have to say, they can leave, change the channel, put in earplugs, not read my posts, or whatever. What they can't do is make me quit saying it.

For the record, I don't give a damn about what someone does to their own body. You want to destroy it by polluting it with chemicals, by all means, have at it.

But when (generic) your chemical addiction directly affects me in ways that I cannot avoid, we have a problem.

And when a person inflicts their chemical dependency on their children, who range from uncomfortable to allergic, then what...?

I don't inflict it on my children at all. Unlike me, my son has the opportunity to grow up in a smoke free home. The walls and ceilings aren't stained by smoke and he's never seen me do it....yet. As he gets older, he'll have the opportunity to make his own decisions including whether he wants to be around when I smoke or to smoke himself.

So it takes a few years off of my life, GREAT! It's just the adult diaper wearing and dementia years anyway and I don't want those!

Instead you can get the chemo and tar cough years! Those are awesome. :banana:

Don't forget the COPD and emphysema!

I've already had chemo for other cancer. It sucks, but I still remembered who I was and didn't need a diaper!

lol

Simple. Leave.

Really? I avoid it by leaving? Since most smoking is detected by smell, I don't really have much choice to AVOID it by leaving, or anything else short of wearing a gas mask, do I?

I guess if I SEE it, off chance, I can then avoid it by leaving...

As long as what I'm doing isn't violating any laws or the rules of the premises, I'm free to do it and anyone who doesn't like it is free to leave.

:roflmao:

You may not have noticed this, but smoke is a VAPOR. It FLOATS in the air. If someone walks by on the street, smoking a cig, it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid that vapor, unless one carries a powerful hand fan with them at all times. If someone smokes in an enclosed space, that smoke will FILL that enclosed space.

So, if someone doesn't like it, THEY must leave...? THEY have to give up THEIR rights so YOU can pollute the air...?

If I had a can of noxious fart gas that I happened to enjoy the smell of, would it be ok for me to spray that in any public area I chose to...?

Somewhere along the way, this country went way off track. We've decided that we are protected from offense when just the opposite is what is guaranteed by our constitution. We have the right to be offensive (within legal limits, I can't parade around a playground naked lol ). If someone doesn't like what I have to say, they can leave, change the channel, put in earplugs, not read my posts, or whatever. What they can't do is make me quit saying it.

lol

You don't seem to understand that people CANNOT AVOID smoke, if it's in the area.

I, like all Americans, have the right to NOT be exposed to things in public which are detrimental to our general physical comfort and health. The right to "offend" people by forcing your pollution on them is NOT enshrined in the Constitution, believe it or not. It's not free speech we're talking about, here. Just like you cannot stand and scream in my ear, or shine a laser light in my eyes, so too should you not be able to inflict your pollution on others.

And what really gets me is that you are (or were) a MEDIC!

lol

I don't inflict it on my children at all.

Good! But that wasn't my question.

Unlike me, my son has the opportunity to grow up in a smoke free home. The walls and ceilings aren't stained by smoke and he's never seen me do it....yet. As he gets older, he'll have the opportunity to make his own decisions including whether he wants to be around when I smoke or to smoke himself.

Good. This is what you should be doing. But that still wasn't my question.

I just smoked a cigar in honour of this thread.

Mmmm.

I love good cigars.

What?

Someone thinks that's hypocritical...?

Oh, believe me, it would be...if I did it in public.

I don't, and never would. I know it is offensive to people, so I keep it OUT of ANYWHERE where it might even POSSIBLY affect someone who doesn't wish to be around it, even accidentally.

Too bad ALL smokers aren't as courteous.

Simple. Leave.

Really? I avoid it by leaving? Since most smoking is detected by smell, I don't really have much choice to AVOID it by leaving, or anything else short of wearing a gas mask, do I?

As long as what I'm doing isn't violating any laws or the rules of the premises, I'm free to do it and anyone who doesn't like it is free to leave.

You may not have noticed this, but smoke is a VAPOR. It FLOATS in the air. If someone walks by on the street, smoking a cig, it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid that vapor, unless one carries a powerful hand fan with them at all times. If someone smokes in an enclosed space, that smoke will FILL that enclosed space.

As long as it's legal, who cares? I'm not doing anything wrong, so if it's offensive to someone, yes, they can leave. Would you go into a bar and get offended when everyone there orders a drink? So don't go somewhere that it is perfectly legal to smoke and get upset when someone does it.

So, if someone doesn't like it, THEY must leave...? THEY have to give up THEIR rights so YOU can pollute the air...?

If I had a can of noxious fart gas that I happened to enjoy the smell of, would it be ok for me to spray that in any public area I chose to...?

lol

You don't seem to understand that people CANNOT AVOID smoke, if it's in the area.

Sure you can. Walk to your car and leave. Smoke in the open air, particularly in the amount from cigars and cigarettes, has negligible health effects. It may smell bad, but it won't hurt you unless the smoker blows it directly into your face while you inhale. House fires in the open air have negligible effects on the health of the responders despite the fact that practically everything in a home gives off toxic (immediately toxic, not long-term) fumes as it burns. This is in the open air, it all changes when you walk into that burning house. It's contained and can be fatal in seconds. If you want to avoid that, i recommend one of two things. Either don't go in because it will kill you or wear the proper equipment.

I, like all Americans, have the right to NOT be exposed to things in public which are detrimental to our general physical comfort and health. The right to "offend" people by forcing your pollution on them is NOT enshrined in the Constitution, believe it or not. It's not free speech we're talking about, here. Just like you cannot stand and scream in my ear, or shine a laser light in my eyes, so too should you not be able to inflict your pollution on others.

So you're going to stop driving your car? It does as much damage to the health of the general public than my smoking a cigar as I walk down the street. Dear God! We all need to stop driving because it might offend a non-driver!

lol

I am. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything other than I have a better knowledge of what is and is not harmful and what amounts it takes to be harmful.

I answered your question long ago but you don't like that answer.

Unlike me, my son has the opportunity to grow up in a smoke free home. The walls and ceilings aren't stained by smoke and he's never seen me do it....yet. As he gets older, he'll have the opportunity to make his own decisions including whether he wants to be around when I smoke or to smoke himself.

And I still answered it long before this. You still either don't like it or don't understand it. I can not change either situation, so who cares?

Of course, you live in a state where smoking is against the law in public anyway. You don't have a choice. I do. If I light up and you don't like it, you can get in your car and leave. It's that simple. As long as it's legal where I do it, I'm within my rights. If I light up and anyone doesn't like it, they can leave. Even though there is enough in the air to smell, it's not enough to harm you.

Simple. Leave.

As long as it's legal, who cares?

Um. People who don't like the smell.

I'm not doing anything wrong, so if it's offensive to someone, yes, they can leave.

This arrogance is the reason why smoking laws started being enacted 20-30 years ago, and continue to get more and more restrictive. If smokers had decided, en masse, to be more considerate about where and when they smoked, these laws would never have been enacted, especially to the degree they are and continue to be.

Would you go into a bar and get offended when everyone there orders a drink? So don't go somewhere that it is perfectly legal to smoke and get upset when someone does it.

Your logic fails.

1. Alcohol fumes rarely travel much beyond the edge of the glass, and thus have no DIRECT affect on other people, even people standing right next to someone drinking. The same cannot be said, obviously, of smoke.

2. With very few exceptions, open alcohol MUST be consumed within the establishment that sold it to you. One cannot walk down the street with a shot of whiskey, and even if they could, see #1.

lol

Sure you can. Walk to your car and leave.

Seriously, why do you think this kind of unabashed arrogance is acceptable?

Can I walk up to you and yell through a bullhorn 2 feet from your ear, and then tell you that if you don't like it, you should "walk to your car and leave"....?

If not, why do you think such an answer is acceptable for your smoke?

Smoke in the open air, particularly in the amount from cigars and cigarettes, has negligible health effects.

That's not for you to to decide, and is mainly irrelevant.

It may smell bad, but it won't hurt you unless the smoker blows it directly into your face while you inhale. House fires in the open air have negligible effects on the health of the responders despite the fact that practically everything in a home gives off toxic (immediately toxic, not long-term) fumes as it burns. This is in the open air, it all changes when you walk into that burning house. It's contained and can be fatal in seconds. If you want to avoid that, i recommend one of two things. Either don't go in because it will kill you or wear the proper equipment.

So you're going to stop driving your car? It does as much damage to the health of the general public than my smoking a cigar as I walk down the street. Dear God! We all need to stop driving because it might offend a non-driver!

Your logic fails again.

1. Car emissions have improved so much over the last 50 years, emissions in some cases have been reduced to only water vapor. When and if I can attach a catalytic converter to the tip of your cigarette, THEN you might have a point.

2. Even for smelly cars, like diesel, one does not park the butt end of a car on a restaurant patio. Car fumes are far less ubiquitous than cigarette smokers.

lol

I am. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything other than I have a better knowledge of what is and is not harmful and what amounts it takes to be harmful.

You don't see the irony of a medical health professional who willfully damages his health by inhaling toxic chemicals on a regular basis....?

meh

Um. nope, you didn't. "A person" doesn't refer specifically to YOU.

And I still answered it long before this. You still either don't like it or don't understand it. I can not change either situation, so who cares?

Um. Nope, you didn't. "A person" doesn't refer specifically to YOU. You said not one word about what to do when a parent inflicts their children with their smoking. A child cannot "walk to their car and leave." So, no, you didn't answer the question.

Of course, you live in a state where smoking is against the law in public anyway.

Um. What state would that be? Because in California, it is NOT "against the law in public."

You don't have a choice. I do. If I light up and you don't like it, you can get in your car and leave. It's that simple.

If I'm ever in your vicinity, I'm going to walk up to you, whip out a bullhorn, and shout in your ear. Then we'll see how "simple" it really is...

(thumbs u

As long as it's legal where I do it, I'm within my rights. If I light up and anyone doesn't like it, they can leave. Even though there is enough in the air to smell, it's not enough to harm you.

It's not about harming me, as I said before. It is offensive. If you have the right to smoke in my vicinity, I have the right to yell in your ear. After all, that's not illegal, either.

(thumbs u

hm Here is a thought. BAN IT!!! But then where would they get all that

tax revenue, health care funding, and all the silly :censored: about personal

freedom and "...I can do what I want with my body..." :baiting::devil:

To me, it's a comic book. I can't see how anyone would start smoking because Wolverine did it in a comic book (that would be SUPER pathetic).

Stating kids-could-be-influenced doesn't hold much water either as kids don't read comics anyway.

Pat

Simple. Leave.

As long as it's legal, who cares?

Um. People who don't like the smell.

I'm not doing anything wrong, so if it's offensive to someone, yes, they can leave.

This arrogance is the reason why smoking laws started being enacted 20-30 years ago, and continue to get more and more restrictive. If smokers had decided, en masse, to be more considerate about where and when they smoked, these laws would never have been enacted, especially to the degree they are and continue to be.

Would you go into a bar and get offended when everyone there orders a drink? So don't go somewhere that it is perfectly legal to smoke and get upset when someone does it.

Your logic fails.

1. Alcohol fumes rarely travel much beyond the edge of the glass, and thus have no DIRECT affect on other people, even people standing right next to someone drinking. The same cannot be said, obviously, of smoke.

2. With very few exceptions, open alcohol MUST be consumed within the establishment that sold it to you. One cannot walk down the street with a shot of whiskey, and even if they could, see #1.

lol

Sure you can. Walk to your car and leave.

Seriously, why do you think this kind of unabashed arrogance is acceptable?

Can I walk up to you and yell through a bullhorn 2 feet from your ear, and then tell you that if you don't like it, you should "walk to your car and leave"....?

If not, why do you think such an answer is acceptable for your smoke?

Smoke in the open air, particularly in the amount from cigars and cigarettes, has negligible health effects.

That's not for you to to decide, and is mainly irrelevant.

It may smell bad, but it won't hurt you unless the smoker blows it directly into your face while you inhale. House fires in the open air have negligible effects on the health of the responders despite the fact that practically everything in a home gives off toxic (immediately toxic, not long-term) fumes as it burns. This is in the open air, it all changes when you walk into that burning house. It's contained and can be fatal in seconds. If you want to avoid that, i recommend one of two things. Either don't go in because it will kill you or wear the proper equipment.

Your logic fails again.

1. Car emissions have improved so much over the last 50 years, emissions in some cases have been reduced to only water vapor. When and if I can attach a catalytic converter to the tip of your cigarette, THEN you might have a point.

2. Even for smelly cars, like diesel, one does not park the butt end of a car on a restaurant patio. Car fumes are far less ubiquitous than cigarette smokers.

lol

You don't see the irony of a medical health professional who willfully damages his health by inhaling toxic chemicals on a regular basis....?

meh

Um. nope, you didn't. "A person" doesn't refer specifically to YOU.

Um. Nope, you didn't. "A person" doesn't refer specifically to YOU. You said not one word about what to do when a parent inflicts their children with their smoking. A child cannot "walk to their car and leave." So, no, you didn't answer the question.

Of course, you live in a state where smoking is against the law in public anyway.

Um. What state would that be? Because in California, it is NOT "against the law in public."

You don't have a choice. I do. If I light up and you don't like it, you can get in your car and leave. It's that simple.

If I'm ever in your vicinity, I'm going to walk up to you, whip out a bullhorn, and shout in your ear. Then we'll see how "simple" it really is...

(thumbs u

As long as it's legal where I do it, I'm within my rights. If I light up and anyone doesn't like it, they can leave. Even though there is enough in the air to smell, it's not enough to harm you.

It's not about harming me, as I said before. It is offensive. If you have the right to smoke in my vicinity, I have the right to yell in your ear. After all, that's not illegal, either.

(thumbs u

I didn't bother reading all that garbage. You're too dumb to understand it or just don't like it. Again, I can't help either situation.