• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS #35-30

42 posts in this topic

#35. G.I. Combat #87

And now, let the countdown begin with the cover finishing in 35th place...

1171539-gicombat87.jpg

An awesome grey-tone cover filled with action. Who wouldn't love this cover? This comic received 24 points in the contest.

A total of 62 forum members voted in the polls, each ranking their ten favorite covers according to the following ballot that explains how the points were counted:

1st favorite cover (#1) = 10 points:

2nd favorite cover (#2) = 9 points:

3rd favorite cover (#3) = 8 points:

4th favorite cover (#4) = 7 points:

5th favorite cover (#5) = 6 points:

6th favorite cover (#6) = 5 points:

7th favorite cover (#7) = 4 points:

8th favorite cover (#8) = 3 points:

9th favorite cover (#9) = 2 points:

10th favorite cover (#10) = 1 points:

1171539-gicombat87.jpg.2f8b39556c12507c14079d5e9f70d1d1.jpg

#34. Batman 156 - Receiving 26 points

batman156.jpg

Could Robin actually be dead?

An image that may be commonplace in today's comics this must have been

unthinkable to readers seeing the cover for the first time.

A great and striking cover, Batman 156 draws you in to see what indeed happened to Robin.

Batman usually looks grim but this cover adds to that uncertainty that he must be feeling.

#33. Daredevil #43

And next up is #33, one of Kirby's most spectacular covers ever: Daredevil Versus Captain America. The perspective, the poses, the colors, the action, and the promise of an awesome battle about to be waged make this cover stand out. This cover edged Batman #156 out of 33rd place by one vote. Daredevil #43 finished with 27 points, and Batman #156 finished with 26 points. Here's what Tim (tth2) had to say about this cover:

"I love this cover because it's so garish and exaggerated, with Cap's fist almost as big as his upper body. As a piece done in the 60s, to me it perfectly suits the pop art sensibilities of the time and would've made a great poster gracing college dorms across the country. It is the King at the height of his "larger than life" phase. My only criticism is purely technical, that having Cap's fist right on top of DD causes a red on red effect which actually deemphasizes the visual impact of Cap's massive fist."

1171553-dd043.jpg

1171553-dd043.jpg.3a1992fb3db059b9ba0c1893441df3f3.jpg

#32. Showcase # 57 - Receiving 29 points

showcase57.jpg

A nice Joe Kubert cover with a great dog fight in the sky.

Slightly Rebellious of DC showing the enemy as the focal point.

#31. Fantastic Four #4

Lots going on in this classic cover: The Sub-Mariner makes his Silver Age debut, he's running off with Reed's wife, the old fire and water / Torch and Subby duality takes center stage on the cover, smooth Kirby art blows the reader away, the suspense over whether they'll catch Namor before he hits the water is at crisis point, the list goes on. This classic classic Marvel cover edged out the Showcase, which had 29 points, with 31 points.

1171579-ff4.jpg

As it turns out, the next winner, #30, also received 31 points, but the tie was broken cause one person voted for it as a favorite cover. No one voted FF #4 as a favorite cover, although two people voted for it as their second favorite cover. As the winners are revealed, remember that ties are broken by most number of first place votes, then second place votes, then third place votes, etc.

1171579-ff4.jpg.5f974ce9fe1037a4cbadd411edc2273e.jpg

Hoping that this means SSWS 138 is still to come. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Me too. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Although I love this cover, I'm pleasantly surprised to see it make the top 35.

We were going to stop at # 31 but Joe and I kept wanting to keep going.

We went ahead and did up to # 30 as a Bonus and edited the title of the thread.

It's late, but we'll start again tomorrow throughout the day. We wanted to give you guys a lot, and we plan on it. These were such awesome covers. We hope that you will enjoy the results as they happen.

We're ahead of schedule. cool.gif BTW, the closer we get to the top we'll give the higher ranked books their own thread, so don't worry. In the meantime this was fun having a few books all in the same thread.

Mica thumbsup2.gif

batman156.jpg

Could Robin actually be dead?

A great and striking cover, Batman 156 draws you in to see what indeed happened to Robin.

Batman usually looks grim but this cover adds to that uncertainty that he must be feeling.

This got one of my votes. I need to find this issue. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Great job, guys, I'm really digging this contest!

#35 G.I. Combat #87. Really nice cover. Don't think I've ever seen this one before, largely because I don't collect many early DC books or war comics in general. Love the unorthodox vertical composition - can't think of anything else like it. Who's the artist? Looks almost like an EC war book cover.

#34 As you say, I'm sure this was striking at the time, but for me this is just an above-average Batman cover of the time - and I've never thought them too novel. But then I'm an old Marvel zombie so few of the DC noms really struck me as Top 10 material.

#33 I think it was me who nominated DD 43, but I ended up not voting for it as it landed just outside my Top 10. Classic Kirby image.

#32 Showcase #57. Classic Enemy Ace cover, but I'm not really familiar with the character/book so I've built up no personal attachment to it.

#31 FF #4. Fantastic Four is my favorite comic of all time, but while looking through the series to nominate covers there were very few that really stood out to me. I love all the early covers, but when stacked up against the best none of them made my Top 20 let alone Top 10. Nothing special about #4 to me at all.

#30 SHIELD #4. This one made my Top 10, though fairly down the list. A confession: I think I voted for four or five Steranko covers for my Top 10. I never would have thought I'd do that, but damn they really stand out - so utterly innovative and unique. Pure 60's pop. And they still stand out nearly 40 years later.

Great job, guys, I'm really digging this contest!

#35 G.I. Combat #87. Really nice cover. Don't think I've ever seen this one before, largely because I don't collect many early DC books or war comics in general. Love the unorthodox vertical composition - can't think of anything else like it. Who's the artist? Looks almost like an EC war book cover.

#34 As you say, I'm sure this was striking at the time, but for me this is just an above-average Batman cover of the time - and I've never thought them too novel. But then I'm an old Marvel zombie so few of the DC noms really struck me as Top 10 material.

#33 I think it was me who nominated DD 43, but I ended up not voting for it as it landed just outside my Top 10. Classic Kirby image.

#32 Showcase #57. Classic Enemy Ace cover, but I'm not really familiar with the character/book so I've built up no personal attachment to it.

#31 FF #4. Fantastic Four is my favorite comic of all time, but while looking through the series to nominate covers there were very few that really stood out to me. I love all the early covers, but when stacked up against the best none of them made my Top 20 let alone Top 10. Nothing special about #4 to me at all.

#30 SHIELD #4. This one made my Top 10, though fairly down the list. A confession: I think I voted for four or five Steranko covers for my Top 10. I never would have thought I'd do that, but damn they really stand out - so utterly innovative and unique. Pure 60's pop. And they still stand out nearly 40 years later.

GIC 87 = Russ Heath. It's even better looking in person as the colors are quite striking.

batman.jpg

[Could Robin actually be dead?

This got one of my votes. I need to find this issue. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That reminds me, did anyone nominate a Grandinetti graytone? Seems like a glaring oversight if nobody did...

I was going to, but which one? That being said, I think GI 87 and some of Heath's Sea Devils stuff - not to mention some of the stuff in Strange Advs, MIS, etc - would take precedence over Grandenetti. confused-smiley-013.gif