• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS #23-15

77 posts in this topic

# 18 - FANTASTIC FOUR 72 - receiving 45 votes.

What a poster this would have made. headbang.gif Jack Kirby dazzles with a beautiful shot of outer space and the Silver Surfer at his best. As a Fantastic Four fan you find your self not caring that the title characters of the book aren't even present except in the logo.

Great use of color in this dramatic cover. This cover is truly cosmic, and raises the WOW factor.

1172989-ff072.jpg

This cover gets brought up in "disgreements" over who's drew the surfer better all the time.

#17. House of Mystery #174

I've heard talk that this was an Adams' cover, or Adams' lay-outs, or not Adams at all. I could see, maybe, that the lay-outs are by Adams, but I've seen a lot of Adams and am not sure I buy that he's the artist. I probably shouldn't start that debate here. Instead, I'll just leave Andy (October) to give us another insightful take on a classic cover that introduced readers to the first issue of its famous mystery/horror format:

"The ancient doors slowly swing wide, a pair of malevolent eyes glimmer in the dusk, a silent claw beckons, a cold wind howls. I can imagine many a shiver flew up a kid's spine while viewing this cover, which was a drastic departure from the previous month's format. Joe Orlando's iconic image was an immediate classic, and one oft repeated afterwards. True, he may not have invented it wholly, but he distilled it down to its most basic and effective elements. There are a handful of frightened kids (proxies for the reader himself), the eerie setting (the archetypal haunted house) and the unknown evil. The lone, bony finger draws the reader deeper, deeper into the mansion. What mysteries awaits in it's depths?"

1173031-hom74.jpg

This cover finished with 46 points.

1173031-hom74.jpg.b43af686573cc0d69a6137fbe03f1653.jpg

HOM 174. Simple, but the best of the run IMO.

Nicest Tomahawks I've ever seen Warlord...instantly jealous.

And that Thor cover is awesome.

Oh, and Cardy? My 2nd favorite DC cover artist. October's right, his Auquaman run is incredible. cloud9.gif

HOM 174. Simple, but the best of the run IMO.

Nicest Tomahawks I've ever seen Warlord...instantly jealous.

And that Thor cover is awesome.

Oh, and Cardy? My 2nd favorite DC cover artist. October's right, his Auquaman run is incredible. cloud9.gif

Cardy is great, but Murphy Anderson is clearly the 2nd best DC artist

Very well said, Andy.

"The ancient doors slowly swing wide, a pair of malevolent eyes glimmer in the dusk, a silent claw beckons, a cold wind howls. I can imagine many a shiver flew up a kid's spine while viewing this cover, which was a drastic departure from the previous month's format. Joe Orlando's iconic image was an immediate classic, and one oft repeated afterwards. True, he may not have invented it wholly, but he distilled it down to its most basic and effective elements. There are a handful of frightened kids (proxies for the reader himself), the eerie setting (the archetypal haunted house) and the unknown evil. The lone, bony finger draws the reader deeper, deeper into the mansion. What mysteries awaits in it's depths?"

Amazing that it is nearly one to one Marvel to DC right now. I am truly shocked. I would have thought Marvel would be winning in a landslide right now.

Just wait until the top ten. gossip.gif

# 16 - AMAZING SPIDERMAN 33 - receiving 48 points

Steve Ditko conveys so much with this cover. A fear of being trapped and drowning at the same time. Our hero is helpless and with a title like the "final chapter" you've got yourself a classic Spiderman moment in time. We think of water as being a clear liquid and when you get right down to it, it's very difficult to draw in a realistic manner. Ditko manages to make the water look threatening and judging by the amount that is pouring down on our hero you get the sense of urgency.

I had forgotten just how much emotion is in this cover. It's subtle.

1173058-asm033.jpg

Thor 127 didn't quite make my cut, but comparing it to that Batman cover just proves to me the artistic superiority of Marvel during that period - and Jack's superiority to just about anyone at the time.

That's an interesting comment. What it reminded me of is that the DC war books as a whole have superior covers to the superhero books from either company. I think there's a reason why Joe Kubert is the comic book artist Neal Adams respects the most.

Marc

Steve Ditko conveys so much with this cover. A fear of being trapped and drowning at the same time. Our hero is helpless and with a title like the "final chapter" you've got yourself a classic Spiderman moment in time. We think of water as being a clear liquid and when you get right down to it, it's very difficult to draw in a realistic manner. Ditko manages to make the water look threatening and judging by the amount that is pouring down on our hero you get the sense of urgency.

1173058-asm033.jpg

This was my #1 pick. Absolutely love this cover. cloud9.gif

A great cover, no doubt, and a great story. The 3-D effect of the cover always impressed me as well. Not too many covers really pull that off successfully. Having Spidey in the rear of that hopeless situation really adds to the despair.

A great cover, no doubt, and a great story. The 3-D effect of the cover always impressed me as well. Not too many covers really pull that off successfully. Having Spidey in the rear of that hopeless situation really adds to the despair.

You are right, a lot of drama packed into this one. A great example of Ditko's graphic storytelling ability, which he always achieved using his simplistic by todays standards, but highly effective style.

A much imitated cover also, which marks it as a true classic. hail.gif

1173058-asm033.jpg

This was my #1 pick. Absolutely love this cover. cloud9.gif

The cover, as nice as it is, does not compare to the interior art.

# 15 - AMAZING SPIDERMAN 28 - receiving 50 points

Another Steve Ditko cover. This time he uses black to set the tone as we meet the Molten Man. Ditko pulls off a very hard task in making Spidey's costume visable and 3 Dimensional in spite of only being able to see a faint outline.

The darkness and the well thought out approach make this a much better cover than merely seeing a hero facing the villian. thumbsup2.gif

1173127-asm028.jpg

My sweet #116: cloud9.gif

Why have you never posted that? That's probably the nicest unqualified copy of that issue I have seen in two years of looking. What grade would you give it?

I'm hesitant to post it much due to the battle to the death that's been predicted would ensue... Please try not to get blood everywhere... devil.gif

I'd say it's 9.4-ish... cloud9.gif