• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS #23-15

77 posts in this topic

#19. Fantastic Four #51

Jack Kirby's pose captures the Shakespearean inner conflict of The Thing perfectly. Yet, surprise: This actually isn't Thing. For those of us who have actually read the story, this is a guy posing as The Thing. Too bad, cause I could go on and on about how this cover epitomizes the anguish and torment Ben feels about being Thing. Since I can't, I'll just say it's the most expressive drawing of him I have seen to date, and it's the cover of what many people feel is the finest FF story ever penned.

1172972-FantasticFour-51-94.jpg

The cover finished with 42 points.

Since FF is my favorite book, I just had to pick one cover for my Top 10 - and this was it. Oddly, I find most of Kirby's FF covers to be good to very good, but few of them are great - at least compared to his Thor and Cap covers. But this one really stands out, with a big, dramatic, poignant image of The Thing, and no goofy word balloons to ruin the somber tone. Excellent!

# 18 - FANTASTIC FOUR 72 - receiving 45 votes.

What a poster this would have made. headbang.gif Jack Kirby dazzles with a beautiful shot of outer space and the Silver Surfer at his best. As a Fantastic Four fan you find your self not caring that the title characters of the book aren't even present except in the logo.

Great use of color in this dramatic cover. This cover is truly cosmic, and raises the WOW factor.

1172989-ff072.jpg

This cover gets brought up in "disgreements" over who's drew the surfer better all the time.

And this would have been my second choice for the best FF cover!

#22. Thor #127

1172836-t127.jpg

I think this one got my 2nd or 3rd place vote. Awesome! Even Coletta's inking couldn't screw it up. Imagine if Sinnott had inked it!!!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I really dig Coletta's inks on Kirby's Thor. Gives it a much different quality that's for sure than Sinnott's inks on FF. Though i could more easily accept Sinnott's inks on Thor than Coletta's on the FF. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

#22. Thor #127

1172836-t127.jpg

I think this one got my 2nd or 3rd place vote. Awesome! Even Coletta's inking couldn't screw it up. Imagine if Sinnott had inked it!!!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This was my no.3 pick. Just spectacular in high grade. This majestic rendering of a broken Odin is one of the most enduring images of the Silver Age. 893applaud-thumb.gif

#22. Thor #127

1172836-t127.jpg

This was my no.3 pick. Just spectacular in high grade. This majestic rendering of a broken Odin is one of the most enduring images of the Silver Age. 893applaud-thumb.gif

This book was just outside my top ten. Would have loved to have cast a vote for it. A Kirby classic and definitely a worthy top 25 book. thumbsup2.gif

Well, my numbers 1,2, and 3 choices all showed up in this thread (ASM 28, Thor 127, FF51). I can see already I'm gonna be a wee bit disappointed with the top ten! BTW, count me in as a lover of the silly Marvel Pop-Art Productions box - only lasted two months (which makes gathering all of the books with it in high grade a cool collecting goal), and was another way Stan began to position Marvel as the hip comics for young adults.

Actually, these are nearly all spectacular covers. The Silver Age was so deep in great stories and art that each of us could have selected a top 50.

Of course you don't..... there's no Spider-man on the cover you Marvel Zombie. makepoint.gif

So tell me, was your list entirely made up of ASM covers? poke2.gif

Nope. It wasn't even entirely made up of Marvel covers. 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gif

Since FF is my favorite book, I just had to pick one cover for my Top 10 - and this was it. Oddly, I find most of Kirby's FF covers to be good to very good, but few of them are great - at least compared to his Thor and Cap covers. But this one really stands out, with a big, dramatic, poignant image of The Thing, and no goofy word balloons to ruin the somber tone. Excellent!

Fantastic Four # 51 was my # 2 pick! This cover must be so familiar with some that it gets taken for granted.

This is such a defining cover of the SA with great composition! Its even got Kirby energy bolts!

That's 2 of my top 10 gone...still hope for 8 more. grin.gif

This is the first cover that I just went.. WTF? screwy.gif

#20. Action Comics #252 1172931-action252.jpg

This cover finished with 41 points.

I hate it when i agree with Joe grin.gif, but even an old DC fan like myself could never have voted for that cover........ 893whatthe.gif

i suspect that this is an example of the books overall importance in the DC universe and reflects voters affinity for the story.

and IMO, as such, is perfectly acceptable in a "Favorite Cover" contest............ thumbsup2.gif

Agreed as well. I would chalk up this cover's placement to nostalgia, except that the average age on the forum is way too young for that.

Comics fans must be kind of like baseball fans-- we delight in the history of the medium, and still resonate with the Ruth/Maris or Ditko/Romita debates, even if those events occured before we were born!

# 15 - AMAZING SPIDERMAN 28 - receiving 50 points

Another Steve Ditko cover. This time he uses black to set the tone as we meet the Molten Man. Ditko pulls off a very hard task in making Spidey's costume visable and 3 Dimensional in spite of only being able to see a faint outline.

The darkness and the well thought out approach make this a much better cover than merely seeing a hero facing the villian. thumbsup2.gif

1173127-asm028.jpg

Here's what the original artwork to this cover looks like (which, sadly, doesn't belong to me - I hasten to add):

so389h.jpg

My CAF Galleries at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

Agreed as well. I would chalk up this cover's placement to nostalgia, except that the average age on the forum is way too young for that.

Comics fans must be kind of like baseball fans-- we delight in the history of the medium, and still resonate with the Ruth/Maris or Ditko/Romita debates, even if those events occured before we were born!

I agree, not the best cover. Then again, it's no worse than FF 25. screwy.gif

#22. Thor #127

The pathos of this cover is immediate and intimate. There is nothing more tragic in this world than a parent mourning the death of a child, and this cover captures that with an intensity during the Silver Age only Kirby could match. ...

and it almost has a little of this action going on!

1175305-bull.jpg

1172836-t127.jpg

Jack

mind the horns!

FF #51 is one of the greatest stories but i never really thought the cover was that great compared to others by Kirby!
I agree! "fantastic" (no pun intended) story! but, cover wise, nice but I could pick almost 25 other FF covers that I would pick before that one! But that's just me.