• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS #23-15

77 posts in this topic

My sweet #116: cloud9.gif

Why have you never posted that? That's probably the nicest unqualified copy of that issue I have seen in two years of looking. What grade would you give it?

I'm hesitant to post it much due to the battle to the death that's been predicted would ensue... Please try not to get blood everywhere... devil.gif

I'd say it's 9.4-ish... cloud9.gif

Google Earthing your home address as I type...

#22. Thor #127

1172836-t127.jpg

I think this one got my 2nd or 3rd place vote. Awesome! Even Coletta's inking couldn't screw it up. Imagine if Sinnott had inked it!!!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And if I hadn't been such a slacker and had actually sent in some nominations... this would have been among them!

Is that your copy too? You suck!

thumbsup2.gifyay.gif

I thought everyone had Hi-grade Tomahawks. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm using mine as long box filler to keep my Devil Dinosaurs nice and firm. cloud9.gif

And if I hadn't been such a slacker and had actually sent in some nominations... this would have been among them!

Is that your copy too? You suck!

thumbsup2.gifyay.gif

I thought everyone had Hi-grade Tomahawks. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm using mine as long box filler to keep my Devil Dinosaurs nice and firm. cloud9.gif

27_laughing.gif Great countdown so far. This is a lot of fun! thumbsup2.gif

My sweet #116: cloud9.gif

Why have you never posted that? That's probably the nicest unqualified copy of that issue I have seen in two years of looking. What grade would you give it?

I'm hesitant to post it much due to the battle to the death that's been predicted would ensue... Please try not to get blood everywhere... devil.gif

I'd say it's 9.4-ish... cloud9.gif

Google Earthing your home address as I type...

Shoo! Go away! Back to the top covers thread... you've seen nothing... nothing...

# 18 - FANTASTIC FOUR 72 - receiving 45 votes.

1172989-ff072.jpg

This cover gets brought up in "disgreements" over who's drew the surfer better all the time.

First one of my picks to show up so far. Had this one as my #7 choice. Great cover.

Too bad about those two stupid banners. They really detract from the image. frown.gif

asm28.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

that's better than my Batman 227 with the foreground characters removed!

nice mirror on the right foot, too. it even looks like it's supposed to be there!

Too bad about those two stupid banners. They really detract from the image. frown.gif

asm28.jpg

How about the one at the top? tongue.gif

You mean the dumb "Pop Art" box?

How about the one at the top? tongue.gif

You mean the dumb "Pop Art" box?

I was thinking the silly part that says "The Amazing Spider-Man"... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

The FF 72 is nice but I'm a big fan of TTA 93. Too bad the Hulk is in the pic. It would have been even stronger as a lone Surfer. The background colors really bring the Surfer out.

Pat

P.S. I like Thor 127. Umm, did you know? Blush.

Over in the Silver Age thread titled, "Rick's Top Twenty-Five Silver Age Covers," forum member followtheleader wrote, "That 127 is the best cover in all of comics, IMO (regardless of "Age"). Just unbelievable. I remember the first time I saw it. Nearly floored me, I was so impressed."

Thor #127, despite its popularity, did not receive any first place votes.

Guess followtheleader didn't like the cover enough to vote in the contest. confused-smiley-013.gif

This is the first cover that I just went.. WTF? screwy.gif

Yeah, I don't get it either. confused-smiley-013.gif

Me three. That Batman cover didn't do anything for me either. Whether you call it technical skill or aesthetic appeal, something is lacking in many of the 50s and early 60s DCs, which is why only 3 made my list.

Okay, everyone, I'm back from a lo-o-o-ng day at work and ready to put in some more hours to keep you guys from going crazy waiting for the results. We're going to take the results down to #15 tonight.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Here we go with #23. Teen Titans #14.

October nominated this beauty, and I stole his scan of it cause the colors on it really jump out at you. There are psychedelic covers from the 1960s, and there are psychedelic covers from the 1960s, and then there is this Nick Cardy masterpience. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif The rainbow color scheme is breathtaking and one of the finest I've seen -- a cool juxtaposition of Peter Max with the superhero genre. This comic is not a key like many books and stands on its own on the merits of its art. Great nomination, Andy!

1172817-TT14.jpg

This cover finished with 37 points.

Ya nice to see this Cardy Cover get the nod from some people, he's the DC version of Steranko IMO. cloud9.gif

Amazing that it is nearly one to one Marvel to DC right now. I am truly shocked. I would have thought Marvel would be winning in a landslide right now.

Besides the equality of Marvel and DC so far, I'm surprised (and impessed) by the number of different genres so far. 2 war books, a pre-hero Marvel, 1 western and 1 horror (and technically you could consider the Mystery In Space to be sci-fi). thumbsup2.gif