• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS # 9

57 posts in this topic

I will be flamed for saying this, but a LOT of Kirby's stuff has not stood the test of time well at all.

Notwithstanding the fact that I disagree with this statement, I'm not sure what you're looking for. Kirby's style DEFINED the silver age. The two are synonymous. It's hard for me to conceive how a top covers of the SA contest could not be dominated by Kirby.

True words.

I will be flamed for saying this, but a LOT of Kirby's stuff has not stood the test of time well at all.

Notwithstanding the fact that I disagree with this statement, I'm not sure what you're looking for. Kirby's style DEFINED the silver age. The two are synonymous. It's hard for me to conceive how a top covers of the SA contest could not be dominated by Kirby.

Agreed, just as I can't imagine the Bronze without Adams.

thumbsup2.gif

I look at these contests differently than a lot of people. My picks are based on how pleasing the cover is to the eye, how striking the colors are, how well the images are rendered, ect. I am too young to feel any nostalgia for these issues, and I don't care if an issue is a key or if an artist was popular during that age. I just pick based on different criteria. None of my favorite Kirby covers were even nominated since they weren't keys. If someone wants to pick a cover because of it's historical "value" that's fine, I just don't agree with it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Whoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoa. Whoa.

What about Anderson/Infantino & Kubert. Kirby may have defined MARVEL SA, but there was a ton of great stuff before and during his run.

Whoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoa.
Are you OK?

What about Anderson/Infantino & Kubert. Kirby may have defined MARVEL SA, but there was a ton of great stuff before and during his run.
All fine artists, agreed. Kirby was special. In fact sometimes I think his Monsters/Westerns/ and Romance were even better than a lot of these Super-Hero books.

I don't think my comment slights Anderson, Infantino, Kubert, or other fine artists of the SA such as Gil Kane and Steve Ditko. confused-smiley-013.gif But if you go to the average comic collector and ask them for the name of one artist they associate with SA, my guess is the vast majority would say Kirby.

I don't think my comment slights Anderson, Infantino, Kubert, or other fine artists of the SA such as Gil Kane and Steve Ditko. confused-smiley-013.gif But if you go to the average comic collector and ask them for the name of one artist they associate with SA, my guess is the vast majority would say Kirby.

Kirby is without question the defining artist of the Silver Age. All those other guys are great, but they're all fighting it out for a distant second place.

Kirby is without question the defining artist of the Silver Age. All those other guys are great, but they're all fighting it out for a distant second place.

actually they're all fighting for third.

Murphy Anderson is in second.

sumo.gif

Ask the average collector, get an average answer. I'm with October/Buttock on this one.

Kirby is a great story-teller. As a cover artist, I have to toss him in a pool with a lot of other guys.

# 9 CAPTAIN AMERICA 110 - receiving 79 votes

You guessed it. A Hulk crossover. Plus having the talented Steranko as the artist was a huge bonus. Great choice of colors and nice shadows on Hulk's face makes one question if there was anything else that could have been better about this cover. This book rised steadily in the polls until it felt right at home in the top 10.

1173953-cap110.jpg

WOW.....COOL #4 ON MY LIST. thumbsup2.gif

Ask the average collector, get an average answer. I'm with October/Buttock on this one.

Kirby is a great story-teller. As a cover artist, I have to toss him in a pool with a lot of other guys.

But this was a contest open for all members, not just elitist cognoscenti of obscure niche artists. poke2.gif

But this was a contest open for all members, not just elitist cognoscenti of obscure niche artists. poke2.gif

And it's a contest where you can pick "favorite" cover, so it doesn't necessarily have to be based on artistic merit. I considered that when making choices, picking a couple of personal faves over more impressive artistic outings.

Cognoscenti. That's one of them fancy lawyer terms, right?

sounds like Italian food. Congoscenti with meatballs and Pomodoro sauce. mmmm....Pomodoro sauce

Predictable response from the eponymous one . . . insane.gif

Cap 110 Destroys the JIM and FF Hulk covers IMO. The use of size is the cool factor as the Monster comes through the Wall chasing the diminuitive Bucky with Cap coming to the Rescue. I mean I love all the Steranko Caps, but c'mon 113 is a Tomb Stone cover sleeping.gif

Cap 110 Destroys the JIM and FF Hulk covers IMO. The use of size is the cool factor as the Monster comes through the Wall chasing the diminuitive Bucky with Cap coming to the Rescue. I mean I love all the Steranko Caps, but c'mon 113 is a Tomb Stone cover sleeping.gif

The size is symbolic -- it's a deliberate distortion, without which the design would not be balanced or interesting.