• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LOW PROFILE ROMITA SPIDER-MAN ART

9 posts in this topic

Here's an auction that didn't get any fanfare.

ASM #132 page 27 Ebay Auction

The buyer hit the BIN, probably quickly.

So, question. Was this a good price ($1995) for a John Romita pencils/Paul Reinman Inks page? I guess I think it was, but I don't think the seller lost either.

Sorry, I'm having trouble linking the image.

For what it is worth, the credits in the comic list Romita and Paul Reinman as Artists, with Tony Mortellaro as art assistant, so, it's hard to say who did what, but, it looks like Romita had a pretty heavy hand on it. Tony Mortellaro mainly did background inking and was infamous for putting his name into panels. If you look at the last panel, there is a sign above the policeman, where he did this. If it was possible to see the whole sign, it would say, "Backgrounds by Mortellaro".

Best,

Yes, I noticed the backgrounds by Tony Mortellaro as well. hi.gif

One day when I'm super-bored I'm going to count how many times he did that. I think Dave Hunt had some as well.

Still looking for more input on the price paid.

Yes, I noticed the backgrounds by Tony Mortellaro as well. hi.gif

One day when I'm super-bored I'm going to count how many times he did that. I think Dave Hunt had some as well.

Still looking for more input on the price paid.

Going by the assumption that Romita penciled the page and that Mortellaro and (probably) others inked it, I'd put it in the $1,500 - 2,000 range. It wasn't a steal, but, the buyer did okay. I'd have bought it had I seen it first.

Best,