• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage May Comic Auction

98 posts in this topic

has the increased BP put everyone off ??

Yes it has

Why? Previously, when the BP was 15%, I would take my target price, divide by 1.15, and that would be my bid price. Now, I'll take my target price, divide by 1.195, and that will be my bid price. Doesn't affect me in the least as a buyer, but it will hurt sellers.

True but it seems like the reserve prices at the heritage auctions have been steadily rising over the past couple of years in comparison to market value. The reserve prices are set against the price without the BP. So unless the sellers, or heritage, lower their reserve prices to account for the 5% increase, the buyers will be indirectly burdened with the increase in some cases. I doubt that sellers/heritage are going to lower their reserve prices. Of course some books don't have reserves and for those I would agree the BP only effects the seller.

Doesn't affect me in the least. If the reserve results in a price above what I'm willing to pay, then I'm not going to win the book anyways. Maybe some other guy is willing to pay that price, but that means he's willing to pay a higher price than me anyways. The BP has nothing to do with it.

I also won books for less than my max bid. Not saying stuff doesnt happen, but they could have forced a few hundred moe out of me too.

I've won books where they could have forced quite a few more thousands out of me. Sorry, but I just don't buy all this talk about Heritage intentionally bidding right up to a person's max bid.

I also won books for less than my max bid. Not saying stuff doesnt happen, but they could have forced a few hundred moe out of me too.

I've won books where they could have forced quite a few more thousands out of me. Sorry, but I just don't buy all this talk about Heritage intentionally bidding right up to a person's max bid.

I've had many such experiences as well (although for tens or hundreds instead of thousands) confused-smiley-013.gif

than me anyways. The BP has nothing to do with it.

Far too many people look at BP as some sort of tax ADDED on to the final purchase price or something. I'll never understand why including the BP in your bid is such a hard concept to grasp. I guess eBay might be to blame 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

has the increased BP put everyone off ??

Yes it has

Why? Previously, when the BP was 15%, I would take my target price, divide by 1.15, and that would be my bid price. Now, I'll take my target price, divide by 1.195, and that will be my bid price. Doesn't affect me in the least as a buyer, but it will hurt sellers.

True but it seems like the reserve prices at the heritage auctions have been steadily rising over the past couple of years in comparison to market value. The reserve prices are set against the price without the BP. So unless the sellers, or heritage, lower their reserve prices to account for the 5% increase, the buyers will be indirectly burdened with the increase in some cases. I doubt that sellers/heritage are going to lower their reserve prices. Of course some books don't have reserves and for those I would agree the BP only effects the seller.

Doesn't affect me in the least. If the reserve results in a price above what I'm willing to pay, then I'm not going to win the book anyways. Maybe some other guy is willing to pay that price, but that means he's willing to pay a higher price than me anyways. The BP has nothing to do with it.

It does effect you - even if your completely immune to seeing what the reserve price is and adjusting your bid you still could wind up paying more if the reserve price is higher. If you put in a bid above the reserve price and no else bids above it then you will pay the reserve price - if that's 5% higher then you'll be paying 5% more in that case.

I also won books for less than my max bid. Not saying stuff doesnt happen, but they could have forced a few hundred more out of me too.

I ws being modest in my decimal points...

I'll never understand why including the BP in your bid is such a hard concept to grasp. I guess eBay might be to blame 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I blame the poor US educational system. tongue.gif

And slow Americans. poke2.gif

Boy, you don't have to tell me. One of the interesting things in living overseas in a very international city is being able to compare Americans to expats from other countries. I'm always struck by the fact that some Americans here are incredibly intelligent and always "the smartest guy in the room", while others are just so painfully stupid that I start trying to speak with an English accent so no one will associate me with them. I don't see this degree of extremes with the other expats (with the possible exceptions of Aussies). tongue.gif

I also won books for less than my max bid. Not saying stuff doesnt happen, but they could have forced a few hundred more out of me too.

If you don't talk about the big numbers, then all the conspiracy freaks will simply explain your situation away by saying that Heritage wouldn't waste its time on just a few hundred dollars. gossip.gif

If you don't talk about the big numbers, then all the conspiracy freaks will simply explain your situation away by saying that Heritage wouldn't waste its time on just a few hundred dollars. gossip.gif

Just out of curiosity how much have you spent in heritage auctions?

That's a bit personal, don't you think? How much was your salary last year?

Why is that so personal? With a little research on ebay one can see what someone won there. If Heritage was as open as ebay about bidding, it would be easy to track there as well.

Here's another one that bugs me. Why does everyone compare Heritage to eBay? eBay is eBay. eBay is NOT an auction house. Comparing Heritage to eBay is pure apples and oranges. Just because eBay is what most people think of when they think of auctions, that doesn't make it the standard for how real auction houses operate. If you want to find an apt comparison, look at Sotheby's or Christies. An auction house like that doesn't operate with some discretion for people who want it then they simply won't get the big $$ in the room. And that's all there is to that.

Why is that so personal? With a little research on ebay one can see what someone won there. If Heritage was as open as ebay about bidding, it would be easy to track there as well.

Assuming one knows the identity behind someone's eBay name. Very few people know my ID on eBay around here. I'm sure they could figure it out once I post a book I recently won but it's because I don't mind people figuring it out. I'm with Rob here. It's personal because that info is not in the public domain, and answering the question would reveal personal information, and one might not want his spending habits widely known. I can't blame someone for not wanting that info disseminated. Heritage has no duty whatsoever to have that data available, nor really is eBay. We might know who Mamanook is, but unless one has transacted with TommyFoxWood, who's to know who he is. That's the reason why communications between non-transacting parties on eBay do not real personal names. For Heritage, it is however important from a marketing standpoint for them to advertise the total sales of their various auctions.

I ask because I would like to know how much experience you have with Heritage.

You dont have to be specific you could just say "I've spent plenty."

I have bid on items that were not bid up because I purchased them cheap.

I am not saying the shilling happens on every item I am just saying it happens.

It is just like Ebay when someone shills an auction for a higher price.

I ask because I would like to know how much experience you have with Heritage.

You dont have to be specific you could just say "I've spent plenty."

I have bid on items that were not bid up because I purchased them cheap.

I am not saying the shilling happens on every item I am just saying it happens.

It is just like Ebay when someone shills an auction for a higher price.

He's got plenty of experience with Heritage thumbsup2.gif