• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage May Comic Auction

98 posts in this topic

Why is that so personal? With a little research on ebay one can see what someone won there. If Heritage was as open as ebay about bidding, it would be easy to track there as well.

Here's another one that bugs me. Why does everyone compare Heritage to eBay? eBay is eBay. eBay is NOT an auction house. Comparing Heritage to eBay is pure apples and oranges. Just because eBay is what most people think of when they think of auctions, that doesn't make it the standard for how real auction houses operate. If you want to find an apt comparison, look at Sotheby's or Christies. An auction house like that doesn't operate with some discretion for people who want it then they simply won't get the big $$ in the room. And that's all there is to that.

I agree, Ebay is more closely linked to a mixture of a flea market and an auction house while Heritage is a true auction house where the staff has some knowledgeof the product they are dealing with but Ebay knows little or nothing of the products, only that they get a piece of the action.

Here's another one that bugs me. Why does everyone compare Heritage to eBay? eBay is eBay. eBay is NOT an auction house. Comparing Heritage to eBay is pure apples and oranges. Just because eBay is what most people think of when they think of auctions, that doesn't make it the standard for how real auction houses operate. If you want to find an apt comparison, look at Sotheby's or Christies. An auction house like that doesn't operate with some discretion for people who want it then they simply won't get the big $$ in the room. And that's all there is to that.

Sorry to hear that bugs you. ebay is an auction house. Simply because it is online and not a bricks and mortar operation makes it no less so. Sotheby's got spanked a few years back for rigging their auctions, so I wouldn't hold them up as an example of anything. Ebay is also the largest auction house/venue what-have-you that currently exists. Period. They have set the standard for bidding disclosure. It is an example that in the interest honesty (which this hobby could use a bit of) that I believe everyone should follow. And that is all there is to that.

Sorry to hear that bugs you. ebay is an auction house. Simply because it is online and not a bricks and mortar operation makes it no less so. Sotheby's got spanked a few years back for rigging their auctions, so I wouldn't hold them up as an example of anything. Ebay is also the largest auction house/venue what-have-you that currently exists. Period. They have set the standard for bidding disclosure. It is an example that in the interest honesty (which this hobby could use a bit of) that I believe everyone should follow. And that is all there is to that.

Amen! There is a reason they do not disclose the bidders. Not to protect the buyer but to protect their own interests.

Hey dont get me wrong I spend alot of money with heritage and I will continue for as long as they have what i need.

I just have to be careful with my bidding.

Why is that so personal? With a little research on ebay one can see what someone won there. If Heritage was as open as ebay about bidding, it would be easy to track there as well.

thumbsup2.gif

Just out of curiosity how much have you spent in heritage auctions?

That's a bit personal, don't you think? How much was your salary last year?

I ask because I would like to know how much experience you have with Heritage.

You dont have to be specific you could just say "I've spent plenty."

I have bid on items that were not bid up because I purchased them cheap.

I am not saying the shilling happens on every item I am just saying it happens.

It is just like Ebay when someone shills an auction for a higher price.

flowerred.gif Okay, I was just caught offguard by the question. I don't mind saying I've spent over $100K on Heritage, which a few people here could have guessed anyways because they know some of the books I've won on Heritage. I've also sold more than $20K on Heritage, and am pretty close to a couple of people who've sold much more than that on Heritage, so I feel fairly confident speaking about Heritage from the selling side too.

eBay is an enabler for a large number of sellers who range from scammers to out-and-out crooks, nor have they done much to prevent shill bidders, which plague all auction venues. As for buyers, it's still quite easy to hide purchases through multiple IDs, third parties, corporate addresses, etc.

flowerred.gif Okay, I was just caught offguard by the question. I don't mind saying I've spent over $100K on Heritage, which a few people here could have guessed anyways because they know some of the books I've won on Heritage. I've also sold more than $20K on Heritage, and am pretty close to a couple of people who've sold much more than that on Heritage, so I feel fairly confident speaking about Heritage from the selling side too.

So how many of your auctions did you shill? poke2.gif

So how many of your auctions did you shill? poke2.gif

All of them! You think those record breaking prices get there by themselves? 27_laughing.gif

I disagree, but you knew that already thumbsup2.gif

If you don't see the difference between an actual auction house and an online marketplace like eBay, then we've got a perception gap we can't cross. confused-smiley-013.gif

I will say that I wasn't offering up Sotheby's as a specific example of something positive or negative, just as an example of a proper auction house. I could have chosen Bonhams, or Skinner, etc. etc. etc. and it would have had the same result without the negative connotation.

Amen! There is a reason they do not disclose the bidders. Not to protect the buyer but to protect their own interests.

But protecting the buyer's anonymity DOES protect their own interests. They go hand in hand. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll never understand why including the BP in your bid is such a hard concept to grasp. I guess eBay might be to blame 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I blame the poor US educational system. tongue.gif

And slow Americans. poke2.gif

Boy, you don't have to tell me. One of the interesting things in living overseas in a very international city is being able to compare Americans to expats from other countries. I'm always struck by the fact that some Americans here are incredibly intelligent and always "the smartest guy in the room", while others are just so painfully stupid that I start trying to speak with an English accent so no one will associate me with them. I don't see this degree of extremes with the other expats (with the possible exceptions of Aussies). tongue.gif

Im not reading this right, missing the sarcasm maybe. The Americans ARE the most intelligent or onlt think they are? While other Americans (?) are stupid? Sounds like a great observation, so I want to make sure I understand..

I'll never understand why including the BP in your bid is such a hard concept to grasp. I guess eBay might be to blame 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I blame the poor US educational system. tongue.gif

And slow Americans. poke2.gif

Boy, you don't have to tell me. One of the interesting things in living overseas in a very international city is being able to compare Americans to expats from other countries. I'm always struck by the fact that some Americans here are incredibly intelligent and always "the smartest guy in the room", while others are just so painfully stupid that I start trying to speak with an English accent so no one will associate me with them. I don't see this degree of extremes with the other expats (with the possible exceptions of Aussies). tongue.gif

Im not reading this right, missing the sarcasm maybe. The Americans ARE the most intelligent or onlt think they are? While other Americans (?) are stupid? Sounds like a great observation, so I want to make sure I understand..

No sarcasm intended, for once. Some Americans ARE the most intelligent and others are stupid beyond belief. I'm intrigued by the extremes that I've seen here. In comparison, the various Europeans that I've met here (Germans, French, Swedes, etc.) mostly seem to be of above average intelligence but no rocket scientists or .