• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage May Comic Auction

98 posts in this topic

The TEC #35 CGC 3.0 copy guides for $1,600 .... and sold for $5,377.50 893whatthe.gif

That got me thinking, are there ANY other GA books in low grade that would sell for over 3x guide?

I won that book and I am crazy to pay that much. However it seems so far to be a rare? book unrestored. Only 4 books to date are CGC blue labels a 2.5, 3.0 4.0 and a 8.5. The 2.5 with tape along the spine with white pages sold at Heritage last year for around I think $3400-$3600. The 4.0 was listed on Comic Link last year for $8500 and I think had a bid at $6500 and was later taken off unless sold privately. The 8.5 would way be out of my price range if put on the market. There is 1 qualified grade and 8 restored copies for a grand total of 13 to date. So far it is scarcer unrestored than the # 27,# 29, # 31, # 33, # 36, # 37 and # 38. I am not justifying the price however I wanted this book very much considering I own the above books unrestored except for the # 38 and the # 27 is missing the front cover only. I always felt the guide price for # 35 was low considering the Classic Cover and the Smoking gun splash page. Ask any serious Golden age Batman collector and this book is a grail but at what cost? Maybe more unrestored copies will come out because of the crazy prices paid lately or maybe not. If I waited for a future sale for this book I may never get another chance to get one. I know it cost me$$ but being a Spidey collector also I still would rather have this copy vs a solid Fine copy of Amazing Fantasy # 15 for the same cost. I can always save up another time and purchace the 1st Spidey anytime. The Tec # 35 maybe not another chance. Who knows in 10-15 years the price paid may not seem unreasonable. Any thoughts?

solid reasoning. just have to hope someone else agrees enough to buy it off you someday. but if someday is far enough off in the future, the Guide should bail you out since your 5377 will be AT Guide by then. My sense is there are still a few unrestored copies yet to be slabbed that you could have waited for. Be patient grashopper.

solid reasoning. just have to hope someone else agrees enough to buy it off you someday. but if someday is far enough off in the future, the Guide should bail you out since your 5377 will be AT Guide by then. My sense is there are still a few unrestored copies yet to be slabbed that you could have waited for. Be patient grashopper.

Trust me, he will have no trouble finding a buyer. thumbsup2.gif

The TEC #35 CGC 3.0 copy guides for $1,600 .... and sold for $5,377.50 893whatthe.gif

That got me thinking, are there ANY other GA books in low grade that would sell for over 3x guide?

I won that book and I am crazy to pay that much. However it seems so far to be a rare? book unrestored. Only 4 books to date are CGC blue labels a 2.5, 3.0 4.0 and a 8.5. The 2.5 with tape along the spine with white pages sold at Heritage last year for around I think $3400-$3600. The 4.0 was listed on Comic Link last year for $8500 and I think had a bid at $6500 and was later taken off unless sold privately. The 8.5 would way be out of my price range if put on the market. There is 1 qualified grade and 8 restored copies for a grand total of 13 to date. So far it is scarcer unrestored than the # 27,# 29, # 31, # 33, # 36, # 37 and # 38. I am not justifying the price however I wanted this book very much considering I own the above books unrestored except for the # 38 and the # 27 is missing the front cover only. I always felt the guide price for # 35 was low considering the Classic Cover and the Smoking gun splash page. Ask any serious Golden age Batman collector and this book is a grail but at what cost? Maybe more unrestored copies will come out because of the crazy prices paid lately or maybe not. If I waited for a future sale for this book I may never get another chance to get one. I know it cost me$$ but being a Spidey collector also I still would rather have this copy vs a solid Fine copy of Amazing Fantasy # 15 for the same cost. I can always save up another time and purchace the 1st Spidey anytime. The Tec # 35 maybe not another chance. Who knows in 10-15 years the price paid may not seem unreasonable. Any thoughts?

I think you were bidding against someone who thought like you. stooges.gif

Congrats Bat-Hound on picking up that book! No need to justify the price you paid, as you're right it does not come up for sale much and there are very few graded copies out there. My initial post mainly was pointing out that Tec 35 is WAY underpriced in the guide compared to what a copy would actually sell for. You've certainly assembled a nice Tec run hail.gif

The hypo-cover book?That's strong stuff for that time period.Batman is an icon that has certainly transcended his arena.Warren Buffet could frame a copy of that book and hang it next to a Picasso in his foyer and it wouldn't look too out of place.I think Fishler and his crew are not too off base when they began touting certain comic books as sound investment vehicles.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for all the comments!! I will post a scan in the Detective thread when I receive the book.

I'll add my rookie two cents' worth and congratulate you as well. I was eyeing that Detective #35 knowing i didn't have a chance at it.... what a great book. I think its got to be the best cover of the Detective run... pre-Robin anyways. Up there with #29 and #31, although i think its an even stronger cover than those two in many ways.

I probably paid too much for the CAP #3 that i won from Heritage (when the BP is factored in), but at the end of the day, I know I would be tormented for missing out on that opportunity. I really think you made a smart long term investment... sounds like you will hang onto that book for a long time to come. You'll have buyers lined up when you are ready.

Looking forward to the scan!!

Archie 1, Pep 22 smile.gif

I just got through going over the auction in detail,and I noticed that there were some good deals to be had in the VG/VG+ range.I also checked out the 'tec 164 and if I'm not mistaken,2 of the 9.2 copies of that book were from Lee Hester's Palo Alto collection.Paying over guide for a high grade black cover has a long history in our hobby.It is a cool cover.There were a lot of strong covers from that time period.One of my fav's was always the 167(?) with Cleopatra.That sure was a STRONG batch of Batman and Detective issues with great page quality.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Action 2

Pep 23

Detective 27

Marvel Mystery 9

Action 2

Pep 23

Detective 27

Marvel Mystery 9

Archie #2 as well! Did you guys see the 1.5 that sold for $500?

Shawn

Action 2

Pep 23

Detective 27

Marvel Mystery 9

Archie #2 as well! Did you guys see the 1.5 that sold for $500?

Shawn

I was surprised it only went for $500. I think that one would have done better on ebay.

Captain America #46 (Schomburg German holocaust cover) is an excellent example of a GA book that easily sells for 3x guide on the rare occasions it comes up for sale. It took ages for OS Guide to even break it out of the #41-#47 run!, and has been on many want lists in any condition for a very long time.