• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Nation

24 posts in this topic

Anyone read Dan DiDio's editorial in the latest DC books? Kinda cool he is doing a new editorial every week, just like 52.

Its the little touches, the stuff the competition doesn't do (until too late), and the way they make things old feel new again that makes DC the one to beat right now. thumbsup2.gif

Have I ever mentioned how much I love DC?

Me too cloud9.gif Not only do I read almost all DC's but I decided to spend all my back issue money on DC's as well. I hate Marvel that much right now.

Hey guys,

I'm usually on the Bronze and Silver boards... and I collect war books, so aside from a special now and then (like the recent Sgt. Rock stuff) I stay away from modern books. But hearing what you guys are saying makes me think I may wander into my LCS to check some new books out.

DC has had some primo eras.... 1938-42, 1954-1962, 1970-75, 1981-86.... I'd love them to come out with some vintage years.

So give an 'oldbie' some heads up... If I took $50 into my LCS, what new DC books should I walk out with?

Thanks

Shep

PS... LOVE the Showcase reprint format

All Star Superman is good, Infinite Crisis 6 comes out tomorrow and I like the current Batman arc that runs in Batman and Detective. I also pick up Teen Titans, the Superman titles, Green Lantern and Green Arrow.

All Star Superman is good, Infinite Crisis 6 comes out tomorrow and I like the current Batman arc that runs in Batman and Detective. I also pick up Teen Titans, the Superman titles, Green Lantern and Green Arrow.

This is a pretty good start! thumbsup2.gif

I agree with most of Sevendust's choice with two exceptions: Teen Titans and Green Lantern.

Teen Titans has gone pretty sour lately. The Captain Carrot stuff should either not be in the book or be a self-contained story at the end.

Additionally, Green Lantern's title is subpar at best. It started off okay but has really been sagging. The GL Corp wasn't even really that good. As someone else had mentioned, it was too much in only 5 issues.

Otherwise, I have to agree. The Batman title has been really fun. I'm an issue behind, but I loved the whole Red Hood and Black Mask storyline. Even the Superman stories have been great fun. I'm not a big Superman fan but this made it interesting even for me. As others have stated, Batman: Monster Men is a fantastic book. Probably best recommendation so far.

Pat

Guys,

Thanks for the good info... I will check some of those out.

So, would you guys consider DC's recent ascent art-driven or story-driven, or the rare and wonderful combination of the two? If it's art-driven, who are the standouts? Is there a modern-day equivalent to a combo like Neal Adams/Berni Wrightson/Russ Heath who made the early 70s so fantastic?

Thanks

Shep

Some off beat picks in the DC/Wildstorm, DC/Vertigo

DC/Vertigo

The Exterminators

Testament

Hellblazer

Lucifer

Fables(say what you want but I think it is picking up steam again)

DC/Wildstorm

Desolation Jones(this is ending soon, so you can probably catch issues in the back issue bin)

Planetary-Same deal, I have I have copies of 1-12(actually I think most of the series) if you can't find them affordably.

All Star Superman is absolutely wonderful. So good in fact, I am buying a page of OA from #2.

All Star Superman is absolutely wonderful. So good in fact, I am buying a page of OA from #2.

Yikes, what's that setting you back? Which page?

Not much more than a later issue Whiz Comics in NM-.

Guys,

Thanks for the good info... I will check some of those out.

So, would you guys consider DC's recent ascent art-driven or story-driven, or the rare and wonderful combination of the two? If it's art-driven, who are the standouts? Is there a modern-day equivalent to a combo like Neal Adams/Berni Wrightson/Russ Heath who made the early 70s so fantastic?

Thanks

Shep

It is mainly story-driven up until now. Scripters Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Geoff Johns are the driving forces, aided and abetted by Mark Waid and Judd Winnick. In fact, one of DC's recent "innovations" is to have a half-dozen pencillers divide up the pages of a book to get it out on time, or at all. That has worked surprisingly well on Infinite Crisis, less well on the final issues of Wonder Woman and Adventures of Superman.

The One-Year Later (OYL) event which has just started within the last month may offer a more balanced story/art "value proposition." Some of the OYL artists announced look to be pretty amazing: Rags Morales on Detective Comics. Adam (or is it Andy?) Kubert on Superman. Andy (or is it Adam?) Kubert on Wonder Woman.

Speaking of story/art combinations, let me add my name to the list of those recommending All-Star Superman written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Frank Quitely. This same team did the WE3 miniseries (also highly recommended). Oh yeah, and some X-Men issues across the street prior to that.