• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's buying what in the Silver-age lately??

48 posts in this topic

I will be lowering the prices on most of the remaining books I have on Doug site over the next few weeks, and will gladly work on package deals or time payments.

Good to hear. I may give another try to your ST 104 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif (what annoys me is the centering on that copy...)

Your ST 109 CGC 9.0 is tempting (and I feel it was priced reasonably in comparison with the later ST in same grade) but I don't want to be caught in the upgrading spiral (since my later ST issues are all in CGC 8.5...and I get those at a much lower price than the 9.0!)

By the way, you never answered me on this : did you have a ST 108 & 112 at one point in your run ? Maybe I dreamed that while looking at the Registry confused-smiley-013.gif

Now answering the question at the beginning of the tread : ST, FF, Avengers.

They guy who stamped them did have a penchant for hitting exactly the wrong spot. Here's my least favorite date stamp location!!! foreheadslap.gif

tta74big.jpg

Red, I do have to say that guy with the stamp was a real but-t head! Boredom at he local drug store in the mid-sixties is no excuse!

I will be lowering the prices on most of the remaining books I have on Doug site over the next few weeks, and will gladly work on package deals or time payments.

Christmas cometh early me thinks. Shame I've got the leverage of a very flat, completely broke, part 14 scheme of arrangement (NZ Companies Act) thing right now!

Just asking, but have you ever held a raw white-paged Green River book in your hands? Take a look at this chart and look at how many of them...even within a wide grading range, have white pages or ow/w page. They're pretty remarkable and fresh looking, feeling and smelling. I was collecting back i n the sixties and the condition of some of these books take me right back to 1966.

Marvel Green River CGC Grading List

I have! acclaim.gif

For the first few years I collected, I purposely avoided datestamps as they annoyed me. As I started to collect 50s and GA seriously and wanted to find them in nice shape, I started to buy pedigrees, most of which seem to have a distributor mark of one sort or another. Over time, I found myself actually appreciating the datestamp, but I'll darned if I know when/why/how that happened.

I've been sticking mostly to early TTA's and Incredible Hulks...picked up a few of sfilosa's TTA's and have my eye on a few more once he drops the prices a bit.

poke2.gif

IMHO the bronze books have gone a little looney lately and silver age is the place to be if your buying right now...

Date stamps are fine with me unless they're red and fall on a Tuesday. Those comics ain't good for nuthin' except kindlin'. poke2.gif

You sure about that? I tried and a couple and they started to burn and then the fire went out. I guess the pages were just too fresh. confused-smiley-013.gif

Date stamps are fine with me unless they're red and fall on a Tuesday. Those comics ain't good for nuthin' except kindlin'. poke2.gif

You sure about that? I tried and a couple and they started to burn and then the fire went out. I guess the pages were just too fresh. confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess you didn't store them in the attic like I did, so they could became all nice and brown and brittle. In fact, if you get the cover brown enough, that red date stamp doesn't stand out so much anymore.

I guess you didn't store them in the attic like I did, so they could became all nice and brown and brittle. In fact, if you get the cover brown enough, that red date stamp doesn't stand out so much anymore.

BBOY1.jpg

I saw those NICE FFs on his site as well, but then I stumbled across a "White Mountain" FF #45 in 9.4. This is a book that I have wanted to find in NM range for many years, but have not ever even seen for sale in 9.2 (once or twice in 9.0). So . . . I just bought it yesterday. Though I won't see it for another month (time payments) frown.gif The 9.4 is a bit nicer than I really needed it to be, but I couldn't pass it up . . .and it's my first ever REAL pedigree book. yay.gif

IMHO the bronze books have gone a little looney lately and silver age is the place to be if your buying right now...

My sentiments exactly!!

I saw those NICE FFs on his site as well, but then I stumbled across a "White Mountain" FF #45 in 9.4. This is a book that I have wanted to find in NM range for many years, but have not ever even seen for sale in 9.2 (once or twice in 9.0). So . . . I just bought it yesterday. Though I won't see it for another month (time payments) frown.gif The 9.4 is a bit nicer than I really needed it to be, but I couldn't pass it up . . .and it's my first ever REAL pedigree book. yay.gif

Dude, big effort there, I don't think I've truly appreciated that book, but I think it was down to the fact that you raised, you just don't see it coming up for air in grade, and those prcies that highlight where it fits into the picture of things.

That 9.6 on his site isn't for the faint of hearted, you need to go to the teen's, and tweneties to see similarly priced FF's!

Jeepers! That's a great way to get started! Congrats!

Red

Good to hear. I may give another try to your ST 104 (what annoys me is the centering on that copy...)

Your ST 109 CGC 9.0 is tempting (and I feel it was priced reasonably in comparison with the later ST in same grade) but I don't want to be caught in the upgrading spiral (since my later ST issues are all in CGC 8.5...and I get those at a much lower price than the 9.0!)

By the way, you never answered me on this : did you have a ST 108 & 112 at one point in your run ? Maybe I dreamed that while looking at the Registry

Never had a #108 or #112.

The #104 doesn't have perfect centering but it's a pretty nice copy and Harry sold his in the same grade for $400 (that's the BIN price but I would take less).

I VERY much regret not getting your ST 116.I've been selling some books and just about the time I scraped up enough someone else nabbed it.Nice books.I'm glad to hear that you're still going to be picking up a few books,as I thought you might be leaving the hobby.I always liked you posts.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

I VERY much regret not getting your ST 116.I've been selling some books and just about the time I scraped up enough someone else nabbed it.Nice books.I'm glad to hear that you're still going to be picking up a few books,as I thought you might be leaving the hobby.I always liked you posts.GOD BLESS...

Which one were you referring to, the 9.0? I know if picked up the 9.6 with shoddy registration.

Definitely the 9.0.If I were to be offered my choice of those two,free of charge(9.0 or 9.6)I would choose the 9.0 for that very reason.Poor registration is definitely my # 1 turn off.GOD BLESS...