• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bought my first Modern Comic today

36 posts in this topic

I bought my first modern comic today yay.gif

So why post it in this forum?

Because i bought all 22 pages of OA from a modern book and I'm not a Big Shot Dealer. It seems alot of people are in the "i missed the boat" camp on OA and I just wanted to point out that alot of good OA is still out there at reasonable prices. I won't go into specifics, since I dont have the pages yet, and am still in work on trying to pry, I mean, buy another issue from the artist.

I will say this though:

1- It is a popular title

2- the book hasn't been relesed yet so I bought it 'blind', but i love the artist so have no doubt i will love the pages

3- it was well under $1000 and the price per page was very reasonable

4- those that know me, know i am no doctor or lawyer(and no disrespect to those that are, well maybe the lawyers poke2.gif ). I make an 'average' salary with all of the same bills as the rest of you.

So the glass is still half full. If you love OA do some research and digging and find that art! ! !

Mike

yay.gifyay.gif

I was looking over the current pages for sale, for Superman/Batman #24. I think the prices on those pages are reasonable. Considering I am spending about 1.6 times that for a comparable All-Star Superman. Like MSN said. It's there, you just have to look.

Congrats!

I, too, am looking more and more toward modern stuff. Definitely more bang for the buck. The big question for me was, will I care in 20 years? The stuff I love from the 80's is tried and true...will I feel the same way about this new stuff down the road to justify the purchase?

With comics being (IMHO) as good as they've ever been, I think the odds are pretty good.

Congrats!

I, too, am looking more and more toward modern stuff. Definitely more bang for the buck. The big question for me was, will I care in 20 years? The stuff I love from the 80's is tried and true...will I feel the same way about this new stuff down the road to justify the purchase?

With comics being (IMHO) as good as they've ever been, I think the odds are pretty good.

Forget about twenty years time. The key is to buy what you love NOW, you never know what's around the corner. thumbsup2.gif

Hey Mike! CONGRATS!!! I look forward to seeing the art in person! smile.gif

Btw...when I met you for the first time...didn't you introduce yourself as...

Mr. Not-So-Nice the Astronaut Pimp-Master of the World! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

best,

Hart

I bought my first modern comic today yay.gif

So why post it in this forum?

Because i bought all 22 pages of OA from a modern book and I'm not a Big Shot Dealer. It seems alot of people are in the "i missed the boat" camp on OA and I just wanted to point out that alot of good OA is still out there at reasonable prices. I won't go into specifics, since I dont have the pages yet, and am still in work on trying to pry, I mean, buy another issue from the artist.

I will say this though:

1- It is a popular title

2- the book hasn't been relesed yet so I bought it 'blind', but i love the artist so have no doubt i will love the pages

3- it was well under $1000 and the price per page was very reasonable

4- those that know me, know i am no doctor or lawyer(and no disrespect to those that are, well maybe the lawyers poke2.gif ). I make an 'average' salary with all of the same bills as the rest of you.

So the glass is still half full. If you love OA do some research and digging and find that art! ! !

Mike

yay.gifyay.gif

When your ready will you tell us the book and where you got it from?

i am no doctor or lawyer(and no disrespect to those that are, well maybe the lawyers ).

sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

Chris

I was looking over the current pages for sale, for Superman/Batman #24. I think the prices on those pages are reasonable. Considering I am spending about 1.6 times that for a comparable All-Star Superman. Like MSN said. It's there, you just have to look.

McGuinness/Vines stuff looks great in person. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Is Quietly's stuff inked, or is it pencil only? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The X-Men piece I have by him is pen and ink..........

The X-Men piece I have by him is pen and ink..........

We3 cloud9.gif and AS S cloud9.gif are pencil only.

We3 and AS S are pencil only.

And We3 will never be for sale, one issue to each of his children as heirlooms. Most of his X-men run were inked; that was the transition point for his art. The Batman/Scotland story was inked, the alternate JLA was inked, 2020 Visions was inked

While We3 was visually spectacular, I'd dig a page from Flex Mentallo. That was a wild ride.

We3 and AS S are pencil only.

And We3 will never be for sale, one issue to each of his children as heirlooms. Most of his X-men run were inked; that was the transition point for his art. The Batman/Scotland story was inked, the alternate JLA was inked, 2020 Visions was inked

While We3 was visually spectacular, I'd dig a page from Flex Mentallo. That was a wild ride.

thumbsup2.gif

Flex Mentallo and We3 would be probably my first choices if I were to own some of his art. All Star Superman and The Authority would be CLOSE seconds.

ONLY $20/page

whos gonna grab it up?

Apparently, no one. confused-smiley-013.gif

If I had read (or had any interest in) the series I would have considered it.

confused.gif

I didn't read the series either (one of the criteria I use to keep my OA purchases in check), but I like Jay Leistens art. I just pointed out the auction because it backs up my theory that good OA is still out there for reasonable prices for little guys like myself.

Which brings up the question. With more dialog being digital these days, panel pages are becoming increasingly more difficult to sell(from my observations) and only covers and splashes having any real appeal. Will artists/dealers start moving towards selling books whole instead of being cherry picked for the 1-2 'good' pages in the issue and being 'stuck' with the other nonsellable pages?

thoughts? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I hope not - beacuase there are still a LOT of panel pages I want - with or without the dialouge.

And I can't afford whole books. Case and point 100 Bullets. I'm looking for a good example of Risso's art from the title - but can't drop 5K on a complete book - so I'm stuck watching eBay.

Mike

yay.gifyay.gif

Mike,

I've taken it upon myself to file a report with Customs that goods contravening the Obscene Publications Act is heading your way from the UK. You can expect destruction of the offending package.

tongue.gif

Joseph