• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck shows off his Pot Display

15 posts in this topic

From the latest newsletter:

My only other news item for today is that I am not going to be attending the Pittsburgh Comicon, after all. I waited too long to make my hotel reservations, and now the main convention hotel is sold out. I could certainly make arrangements to stay somewhere else, but given the long hours that I spend in the dealer's room (typically at least 12 hours per day...) at a convention, commuting to a distant hotel is a bother with which I simply don't want to deal. Besides, the fantastic Detroit is only three weeks later, so missing one show isn't going to kill me. For the rest of you, however, I do still recommend that you attend Pittsburgh, as it is a really fun convention. I've already promised convention organizers Renee and Mike that I will attend next year, as there is simply no way that I would want to miss Pittsburgh two years in a row.

That's it for another day. I now need to get hustling to clean my office. All of my main paperwork tasks are already out of the way, so now I can clean up a bit. Frankly, with as many trips as I've taken this year, my office is a shambles. That's not good, as I've agreed to host a pottery tour on Saturday for all the volunteers of the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. I'm going to be spending a lot of time between now and Saturday vacuuming the rugs, and Windexing all 60 of my pottery showcases. I know from my experience of hosting two of these tours last year that these parties are a great deal of fun, but there's never enough time for all of the necessary preparations. I have to confess, however, that I don't mind all the work involved, even one bit. Having 40 people come by to see my collection who know a bit about pottery is quite exciting! I'm up to about 8,000 pieces now (the largest private collection of Pueblo pottery in the world), so I think I can make everyone ! attending pretty darn happy that they came.

Happy collecting!

Chuck Rozanski,

President - Mile High Comics, Inc.

From his latest newsletter:

All of the above having been said, I want to draw an important distinction between my own efforts, and those of many other businessmen. I'm an old hippie, and rather proud of the fact that I've never given up on my idealism or optimism. I strongly believe that it is exactly the enlightened world view that I learned from the counterculture movement of the late 1960's and early 1970's that allowed me to find the great "secret" of success. Simply put, if you try to make things nicer for all the other people that you meet, they will be very likely to support you in the future, even if you sometimes fail. This thought came to my mind recently when I saw a friend struggling with his business efforts. He worked harder and harder each day, yet his efforts yielded less and less benefit. Why? Because he got up each morning with the foremost thought in his mind being how to enrich only himself. The people with whom he interacted on any given day (employees, customers, vendors, etc.) were viewed as means to an end, rather than mutual participants in any benefits created as a result of their working together. Not surprisingly, my friend is finding that fewer and fewer people want to work with him any more. At the age of 50, that can be very disquieting. Can my friend see the light, and start to think of making others happy, and the world a better place, as a path toward personal success? I definitely hope so, as I know he has the potential to create great good in the world. I would hate to see him squander his talents on self-serving efforts that ultimately end up benefiting no one...

From his latest newsletter:

All of the above having been said, I want to draw an important distinction between my own efforts, and those of many other businessmen. I'm an old hippie, and rather proud of the fact that I've never given up on my idealism or optimism. I strongly believe that it is exactly the enlightened world view that I learned from the counterculture movement of the late 1960's and early 1970's that allowed me to find the great "secret" of success. Simply put, if you try to make things nicer for all the other people that you meet, they will be very likely to support you in the future, even if you sometimes fail. This thought came to my mind recently when I saw a friend struggling with his business efforts. He worked harder and harder each day, yet his efforts yielded less and less benefit. Why? Because he got up each morning with the foremost thought in his mind being how to enrich only himself. The people with whom he interacted on any given day (employees, customers, vendors, etc.) were viewed as means to an end, rather than mutual participants in any benefits created as a result of their working together. Not surprisingly, my friend is finding that fewer and fewer people want to work with him any more. At the age of 50, that can be very disquieting. Can my friend see the light, and start to think of making others happy, and the world a better place, as a path toward personal success? I definitely hope so, as I know he has the potential to create great good in the world. I would hate to see him squander his talents on self-serving efforts that ultimately end up benefiting no one...

Methinks it's time Chucky wrote one of those disingenuous self-help road to riches books. This could be the opening paragraph.

I suppose making vast amounts of money is an ideal of some sort. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

...and his love of people and desire to do Good persuaded him to buy up millions of back-issue comics and sell them for spit-take prices on tens of thousands of eBay-clogging auctions; it's part of that Sacred Vow he made early on when he lucked onto the Greatest Collection Ever. Not that that early purchase was the reason for his success, mind you.