• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ALL-WINNERS 17 pretty cool

31 posts in this topic

Since the early logos were handdrawn, no, I don't think there's a name for the Detective Comics "font" (unless you're asking if it was copied/traced from some existing typeface back in the day).

I much agree though, I really love the early comic logos! They are incredibly bold & distinctive, and I love how the comic publishers ran them really BIG on most of the 1938-1945 titles. I think it's a big part of why many GA covers have that "classic" look to them...an easy part of the book to take for granted, but even iconic covers like Detective 31 or Superman 14 would lose quite a bit of their impact without the size & boldness of their respective logos. It's interesting to take a look through the superhero covers thread Paris_Fred just started, and concentrate on the logos only, how bold & jazzy & colorful they are.

Since the early logos were handdrawn, no, I don't think there's a name for the Detective Comics "font" (unless you're asking if it was copied/traced from some existing typeface back in the day).

I much agree though, I really love the early comic logos! They are incredibly bold & distinctive, and I love how the comic publishers ran them really BIG on most of the 1938-1945 titles. I think it's a big part of why many GA covers have that "classic" look to them...an easy part of the book to take for granted, but even iconic covers like Detective 31 or Superman 14 would lose quite a bit of their impact without the size & boldness of their respective logos. It's interesting to take a look through the superhero covers thread Paris_Fred just started, and concentrate on the logos only, how bold & jazzy & colorful they are.

I agree 100%! I love the big bold logos, especially of the early DC comics that all shared the same look. That's why I was so turned off to the "Comic Geek Speak" podcast. They did an episode on the JSA, and one guy mentioned that he was never into the JSA because he's always turned off when he sees a golden age cover with that big bold logo. Not me....that's what I love about them. Looks so classic! (They've mentioned other examples of why they don't like GA, which is why it's my least favorite comic-related podcast, but love "Comic Collected Library" and Bill Jordain's "Golden Age of Comics".)

I agree 100%! I love the big bold logos, especially of the early DC comics that all shared the same look. That's why I was so turned off to the "Comic Geek Speak" podcast. They did an episode on the JSA, and one guy mentioned that he was never into the JSA because he's always turned off when he sees a golden age cover with that big bold logo. Not me....that's what I love about them. Looks so classic! (They've mentioned other examples of why they don't like GA, which is why it's my least favorite comic-related podcast, but love "Comic Collected Library" and Bill Jordain's "Golden Age of Comics".)

Where are the podcasts for "Comic Collected Library"?

I agree 100%! I love the big bold logos, especially of the early DC comics that all shared the same look. Looks so classic!