• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 2nd submission to CGC

11 posts in this topic

I always enjoy reading people's 1st CGC submission "what I thought, here's what I got" type posts - so here's my contribution.

(BTW, Copper forum fans will know I'm a Miracleman completionist - I'm attempting to complete the 1-24 run in 9.8* - but please don't be put off by the fact they're all MM books!).

*** Duration? Posted from England 6th March, arrived back at my door today, 18th April. So about 6 weeks. That's very reasonable? laugh.gif

*** Packaging? My very first submission arrived back all smashed up (all was subsequently resolved very nicely by Scott) - luckily all 10 of the slabs this time were perfect and packed very well. The new box is a million times better. laugh.gif

*** Production? All perfect apart from 1 slab having that vaguely annoying "loose" feel to it. All the labels were printed and stuck-on evenly. Hey, it all contributes... laugh.gif

*** Grading?

Purely out of interest I sent four low-value re-subs "just to see" - I also sent 6 new raw books from my core collection.

This is what came back....

*** Re-subs:

MM no.6 - originally 9.0 (old label), I thought 9.2. Came back 8.0! 893whatthe.gif And I thought the old labels were stricter! But bizarrely...

MM no.8 - originally 9.0 (old label), I thought 9.4. Came back 9.4! 893whatthe.gif And.. erm... I thought the old labels were stricter...

MM no.12 - originally 9.4, I thought 9.4. Came back 9.2.

MM no.12 - originally 9.4, I thought 9.6. Came back 9.4.

So... not quite sure what conclusion to make there... has anyone else done any similar experiments with moderns?

*** Raws:

MM no.15 - I thought 9.2. Came back 9.4. laugh.gif

MM no.17 Gold - I thought 9.8. Came back 9.4. frown.gif Very surprised.

MM no.19 - I thought 9.8. Came back 9.6. smile.gif nonetheless.

MM no.21 - I thought 9.6. Came back 9.4 - but smile.gif nonetheless. Black cover.

MM no.22 - I thought 9.6. Came back 9.8. laugh.giflaugh.gif Top census!!! Hooray!

MM Apocrypha TPB - I thought 9.8. Came back 9.8 laugh.gif Top census!!! (Only copy graded mind).

*** Overall experience? I genuinely love it - love the excitement of seeing what you get - and having your grading confirmed... well, at least I was 10% spot-on and not far off otherwise.

And getting one top-census is a small but welcome thrill in a world of mediocrity... cloud9.gif

*have 9x 9.8s, 6x 9.6s and 4x 9.4s so far. Will pay big $$$ for other 9.8s!

I have only been surpised about a half dazen times by CGC. Some books like the JIM #109 I sent in I was looking at 9.2 and it came back 8.0 and a Nova #1 I swore was 9.6 came back 9.2. Other than that I am very satisified. In the future to save money you can have books pre-screened if you are only interested in collecting and not selling. Send in a bunch and they will only grade the books that meet the minimum grade. In the long run it is less expensive than getting an 8.0 on a book that you can only get $4 for, and it saves on the return shipping.

Just my 2 cents but it works for me.

I've only personally submitted three books and all three came back in higher grades than I had graded them.

Funny thing was, that one of them came back a half grade less than the other two and I thought it blew them away. Go figure, but I was happy with the grades given.

Congrats Ewan, you got some nice grades there and made a pretty good job of guessing how they would grade out.

I think most of us had a few surprises in our first few submissions, but after getting the grading notes on those books you start to get a feel for CGC's unpublished standards. The biggest surprises for me were how hard they come down on non-colour breaking bends, and I initially found them brutal on interior tanning.

After dozens of submissions you forget about your old grading standards and are subconsciously grading the CGC way every time you pick up a raw book ! frustrated.gif

guys, thanks for the comments

*** I submitted through -

colmore_logo.jpg

Like many I thought originally you had to actually send the comics to the dealer themselves - and only they could forward them on to CGC. However, you just use them to get the 20% off and complete the on-line form. It takes time to get everyhing together - but reletively straight forward.

*** The no.6

I haven't got a scanner - but what surprised me the most is how out of two 9.0s - one re-graded two points lower, and the other one two points higher! Bizarre. I appreciate the minimum grade thing and will use it in future.

*** Non-colour breaking bends - tell me about it!