• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Theres nothing wierd going on, just and honest seller, selling what he has...

255 posts in this topic

Hate to dredge up the past, but running across this auction brought back the memory of gold rush fever and a very public pounding.

I remember watching the original auction for this ASM#28 -- along with the other books that were part of the "High Grade Find" -- and reading the parallel commentary in the original thread, which was eventually locked.

Anyway, the board consensus was that the ASM#28's being auctioned were not/not in their advertised Near Mint condition. The fever of the discussion was high regarding this book in particularly because of its rarity in high grade.

Well, as it turns out many moons later, it looks like one third-party grading company completely disagrees with the opinions expressed herein...

(BTW... anyone remember what this sold for originally and/or saved scans from that auction?)

High Grade find from 1965! (Original thread)

Current Auction: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 28, PGX 9.4, White Pages cgc

ASM_28_94.jpg

MC,

You may have to forgive me, as I am going off of recollection now. But I do have a more clear recollection of this one than is typical because I was bidding like a madman on the FF 48's. Wasn't this a situation where there were not photos of each individual book, but rather an en masse grouping of what came out of one box and a statement that there were three more boxes in play? As such the boardies were likely griping about the scanned books, but the actual books in the other auctions were different copies, apparently without the same defects. My point is I think the analysis on the Boards could be entirely correct and also that some of the other ASM's from the other boxes may have been, and apparently are, high grade.

--S.

At first good quality scans of individual books were not available. Then sometime after the seller was made aware of the discussion here, he added hi-res scans at the request of the boardies. I don't recall if he posted scans of ALL books, simply because it took forever to download one scan (they were not optimized) and I got tired of waiting.

That said, I do remember looking at all of the ASM#28's that were posted and I distinctly remember examining each one. And although the spidey's appeared nice, I had my doubts as to whether or not they were NM too.

In any event, this particular book (and the ones Brent had graded) turned out to be quality stuff. I just wish I could remember what the 28's sold for... so I can know for sure if I should kick myself!

Here's a comparison image that Davenport put together of two 28's from the original auctions. The one on the left just may be the 9.4 that's currently for sale.

ASMlogo.jpg

Didn't one of the board members here score a 9.8 out of the bunch? I seem to remember that.

Yes, that's right. Brent (quailtycomix) won an Avengers #23 that graded as 9.8. To this day, that book remains the highest graded in the census. Image that.

Didn't one of the board members here score a 9.8 out of the bunch? I seem to remember that.

Yes, that's right. Brent (quailtycomix) won an Avengers #23 that graded as 9.8. To this day, that book remains the highest graded in the census. Image that.

Was there a thread with the results from those auctions? I missed all the results of the books that were graded.

9.8 (worship)

This thread brought back such fond memories. Especially
Go Pound Sand

:cloud9:

Of course most of the memories come from the parts that were cut. (tsk)

Yeah... that was/is a great line. lol

At the time this thread went down I had just a handful of posts onboard, as I was primarily a reader of the boards. I can recall thinking to myself at the time "oh man... is this what I got to look forward to once I start posting regularly." :eek:

Was there a thread with the results from those auctions? I missed all the results of the books that were graded.

9.8 (worship)

Dunno about a separate thread but a couple of graded results are posted in this one. Wish there were scans... I'd like to see that 9.8.

I definitely remember that seller from Utah who sold about 4-5 unsealed packages of books from a gas station.. He was even selling one sealed package which contained about 40 comics or so? I wanted to win that auction, but didn't have the funds at that time...

I did manage to pick up a FF #48 which was advertised as a VF/NM I guess. I had it slabbed and came back a CGC 9.2, which I sold to a board member.. THe amount of bidding going on with those books were intense.. People were bidding in the last few seconds just to win.. Some I thought went for ridiculous prices and/or prices similar to how much it would sell in a CGC case. I placed a bid on alot of the ASM's and FF's, but managed only to pick one up. It was definitely an exciting time for everyone who took part with it.

I remembered that the seller had individual pix of each copy where you can inspect the book very well. I'm wondering who else won books from his auctions and whether they got theirs slabbed.

I definitely remember that seller from Utah who sold about 4-5 unsealed packages of books from a gas station.. He was even selling one sealed package which contained about 40 comics or so? I wanted to win that auction, but didn't have the funds at that time...

I did manage to pick up a FF #48 which was advertised as a VF/NM I guess. I had it slabbed and came back a CGC 9.2, which I sold to a board member.. THe amount of bidding going on with those books were intense.. People were bidding in the last few seconds just to win.. Some I thought went for ridiculous prices and/or prices similar to how much it would sell in a CGC case. I placed a bid on alot of the ASM's and FF's, but managed only to pick one up. It was definitely an exciting time for everyone who took part with it.

I remembered that the seller had individual pix of each copy where you can inspect the book very well. I'm wondering who else won books from his auctions and whether they got theirs slabbed.

fixed that for ya

I'm wondering who else won one, and if they graded out as nicely as yours.

In a nutshell, anyone end up with a turd?? (shrug)