• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Theres nothing wierd going on, just and honest seller, selling what he has...

255 posts in this topic

That strategy works on some people..... grin.gif

I give up. Who is this guy?

7111.jpg

He's celebrating 4/20 the image is supposed to be captain chronic wants you

here's a link. If you don't know what 4/20 is, this will be helpful.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...part=1&vc=1

Right before that thread was lock this was posted:

"What part of represented and shown are you missing.. I could see if there were no pics of the books and no addition to the site giving a URL for hi res scans....but damn, you guys are just phishing now..

Theres nothing wierd going on, just and honest seller, selling what he has, fully and accurately represented by photos so the buyer can see exactly what they are buying. So whats the problem??"

It made me wonder if using pictures is truly an "out", a legitimate defense, against very misleading auction titles/ descriptive text. Since pictures are optional on eBay, like an add-on feature (not required), I've assumed the text carried all the weight. Anyway, I went back to eBay to see...

"A physical good you purchased on eBay that is significantly different than what was described in the listing."

"Described" (as opposed to "shown"). I think that clears it up, for me anyway. When buyers start screaming, then declaring..HEY, Hi-REZ SCANS, SHOULDA LOOKED! NOT MY FAULT probably isn't going to work. Providing an accurate auction "decription" is different than "adding/managing photos", which is completely optional.

He added the new pictures, so, when people start wanting refunds, he can say that the item was as represented. He pretty much said this himself in the paragraph above.

I think even though he was getting lit up here, he did take some of the advice given and added the individual hi-res picks. If he was a total scammer, would he have done that? He has the books. He misgraded them and probably believed what he said about them never seeing the light of day. So, he probably thought that made his case. He was wrong about that, but a liar and a cheat? I just think that if he had been welcomed more warmly, he would have been less defensive and more open to taking in the suggestions we had for him.

If you read the first couple of pages, he was treated warmly. It wasn't until after he defended his horrible grading, misleading pictures, and false descriptions did it turn ugly. If he had changed the description, added better pictures that were upright and didn't take forever even on broadband, and stopped calling these comics NM, he would have been treated better. He DIDN'T take the suggestions and that is when it became ugly.

This guy was/is getting NM prices for VF books and was enjoying the publicity and the BID MONEY on the table. If you look at the responses to questions in his auctions, his reply is these books are NM. It's one thing to be nieve about grading. It's another to know your books are not but you advertise them as NM. Grading is subjective, but we are not talking about .5 difference. We are talking 2-4 grade difference. In his mind, it may be NM, but the speculators are expecting CGC/overstreet NM, not good for it's day NM. I just can't believe the suckers who are bidding on this. They must of bought into the hype of a RARE find.

I think all of us would love to find something like this. I would think most on this board would also be realistic this isn't a HG find, but something special nonetheless. The hostilities started when this was pointed out, but he would not back down from his misrepresentations. I think he got the treatment he deserved.

Just so you know, I did go back and re-read the fisrt few pages of the thread ( gossip.gif You'll see that I have a post on the first page). Then I also read the first few pages after he came on and posted.

Despite getting "told" to do this and that and bashed for his $9 shipping (which I find amusing since most seller's slabs are $10 or more and cost nowhere near that to ship), etc., he still was polite and trying to explain his reasoning without getting nasty. He was definately fielding nasty attacks before he finally began slinging them back.

I'm certainly not defending his grades, his reasoning for those grades, or his character in any way, but go back and look at the tone and wording of those questions tossed at him and his responses again. I think you'll see he wasn't asked so kindly about his auctions and he didn't immediately get nasty with anyone.

but he was prepared to only go so far in amending his auction scans and language. When he wouldnt remove the NM/M descriptions at prodding my numerous opsts, things went downhill. So, it was obvious he didnt REALLY care to fix his auctions honestly at the point it would hurt the sales results.

My favorite part?

I do however see the usual rumbling that starts when someone who is "not part of the club" comes in, does the books the right way and lets the public decide the value. Im not being rude here, but it would benefit alot of the extremely 'anal' collectors/dealers out there to remeber, you dont make the rules, you dont decide the prices. Thats what the public is for. Not a small elite group. I think these auctions show that.

He called us elite. cloud9.gif

I reading the original thread before I offer an opinion, although I have picked up a cool new retort...

GO POUND SAND

being from the Appalachian region of MD and not well travelled, I had never heard it before. That will be my catch phrase now for the coming week.

Verdict is still out on the seller for me though. Will offer an opinion later, after I go pound some sand.

Why can't we post in that thread?

OK, what did I miss?

Why was the thread locked?

Was it something I said?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Ze-

I don't know what happened. I sent Arch a PM, kindly asking him for the key. confused-smiley-013.gif

But sheesh, it sure is hard to make friends around here....

Not that hard. As long as you don't violate the cardinal sin..... selling NM comics on eBay that are actually VF or lower. That and shill bidding will make you many enemies.

...pressing and trimming is cool though right?... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

After over-grading and undisclosed restro work there is also the matter of shipping overcharge.

That will get the guys with the pitchforks and torches out of their beds at night too.

smile.gif

Oh, and don't forget that "not agreeing with the homeys majority thing...." boo.gif

but he was prepared to only go so far in amending his auction scans and language. When he wouldnt remove the NM/M descriptions at prodding my numerous opsts, things went downhill. So, it was obvious he didnt REALLY care to fix his auctions honestly at the point it would hurt the sales results.

I don't think you can remove or edit original auction descriptions/titles once a bid has been placed.

*cue someone to say this too was part of his grand scheme to defraud everyone* poke2.gif

I don't think you can remove or edit original auction descriptions/titles once a bid has been placed.

*cue someone to say this too was part of his grand scheme to defraud everyone* poke2.gif

He listed his "unopened box" aution well after all this was brought up. And he still listed them as the good ol' NM...if not....MINT.

So that cup wont hold much water.

Next!

Ze-

No but you can add to your description and use the addition to correct an error, whether it was typographical, grammatical, content-related, or even (heaven forbid) judgemental in nature.

He listed his "unopened box" aution well after all this was brought up. And he still listed them as the good ol' NM...if not....MINT.

Next!

Ze-

I was being quite specific when addressing to the removal/editting of the "NM/M description" from an auction once a bid has already placed, so you might want to check that cup of water you're talking about.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Next!

Ze-

I was being quite specific when addressing to the removal/editting of the "NM/M description" from an auction once a bid has already placed, so you might want to check that cup of water you're talking about.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Well that changes everything now doesn't it.

But I will say it was all part of his plan,all along.

yay.gif

timmay!!

Edited by Timmay (04/23/06 12:28 AM)

You had to edit it because you spelled your name wrong? confused.gif

I bet you're the guy who does the seller's packing and shipping... tonofbricks.gif