• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Investment Grade Fun! Delekkerste . . .

29 posts in this topic

Nice Job Gene.

How do you keep your apartment so clean!???

geneathome.jpg

Hire someone. I kinda doubt a successful hedge fund guru is spending Saturday mornings with the feather duster and vacuum cleaner.

A white chair? Gene's braver than me. I also presume he doesn't have kids or pets. tongue.gif

Seriously, nice looking pad Gene and nice interview. hi.gif

Gene, I can't believe you allowed Scoop to use you to produce an article like that - even the title speaks volumes. Now all the will think that "if a big wig stock analyst like that invests in funny books, it must be good for me!".

Where's that puke emoticon....

Hey I think the Scoop in that article was where Gene's board name orginated from. JC did you really think they'd print Gene's comments that the comics market is in an unprecedented bubble and HG comics are poor investment choices compared to other options available to the average public? screwy.gif

They didn't even elude to the fact that Gene has moved on from collecting HG comics to almost exclusively collecting OA.

I'd be interested to think what Gene thinks about the piece. "Were you quoted warmly and accurately" grin.gif

Anyway, "de lekkerste" translates as "the most delicious" or "the tastiest."Come to think of it, I suppose it would actually make a better username for a pretty girl with an attitude.

27_laughing.gif Arch, this is just begging to be made Gene's custom title. 893crossfingers-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

For the original art collectors out there, my #1 piece of advice is not to get too carried away with the "original art is one of a kind" mantra that sellers have invented like a Hallmark holiday to convince you to pay any amount for a piece of artwork! Companies are one of a kind too. Real estate is one of a kind (no two properties can occupy the exact same space, right?) Fine art is one of a kind. That does not mean there aren't, in many/most cases, close comparables. It usually also doesn't mean that you are insulated against loss if you overpay, just as with any object, whether "one of a kind" or not.

thumbsup2.gif

Anyway, "de lekkerste" translates as "the most delicious" or "the tastiest."Come to think of it, I suppose it would actually make a better username for a pretty girl with an attitude.

27_laughing.gif Arch, this is just begging to be made Gene's custom title. 893crossfingers-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

i have to agree with Tim here. This is a classic. 27_laughing.gif

First, thanks everyone for the kind comments. acclaim.gif

Second, I want to thank Tom Gordon at Gemstone for putting the article together and Dave Matteini for suggesting and getting me to participate in this. thumbsup2.gif

Third, the photo in question was actually taken at my parent's home in San Diego last summer while I was there for Comic-Con 2005. A good chunk of my collection is located there, including the Jose Gonzalez Vampirella painting in the photo. The photo was taken for the express purpose of being used in the Scoop article, which somehow took 9 months to put together! I also submitted a photo of me in my New York apartment, but it was not used for the article (though I heard it might make a comeback in a print magazine that Gemstone publishes).

Fourth, I actually did submit a detailed response about my thoughts on investing in collectibles, which was not used (two other responses were also not used as well as most of the photos; it was not just the investment section that was omitted). I do think the article still makes for a good read and I am satisfied with the finished product. Though, I do think that it would have been interesting if my views on investing in collectibles had been further explored given the lead-in to the interview!

Fifth, I uploaded a lot of new images from my art collection to my ComicArtFans.com site over the past couple of days, including most of the photos that didn't make the cut for Scoop. You can see them at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=2354

Enjoy, and let me know what you think!

Gene

First, thanks everyone for the kind comments. acclaim.gif

Second, I want to thank Tom Gordon at Gemstone for putting the article together and Dave Matteini for suggesting and getting me to participate in this. thumbsup2.gif

Third, the photo in question was actually taken at my parent's home in San Diego last summer while I was there for Comic-Con 2005. A good chunk of my collection is located there, including the Jose Gonzalez Vampirella painting in the photo. The photo was taken for the express purpose of being used in the Scoop article, which somehow took 9 months to put together! I also submitted a photo of me in my New York apartment, but it was not used for the article (though I heard it might make a comeback in a print magazine that Gemstone publishes).

Fourth, I actually did submit a detailed response about my thoughts on investing in collectibles, which was not used (two other responses were also not used as well as most of the photos; it was not just the investment section that was omitted). I do think the article still makes for a good read and I am satisfied with the finished product. Though, I do think that it would have been interesting if my views on investing in collectibles had been further explored given the lead-in to the interview!

Fifth, I uploaded a lot of new images from my art collection to my ComicArtFans.com site over the past couple of days, including most of the photos that didn't make the cut for Scoop. You can see them at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=2354

Enjoy, and let me know what you think!

Gene

Great taste in art. What's funny is that the piece(s) that does not seem to fit is the complete G.I. Joe 21.

It seems like it was more opportunity as compared to what your preferences are.

Just out of curiosity since you have made the move to original art how do you feel about comics and collecting them now?

Do you still collect comics?

Great taste in art. What's funny is that the piece(s) that does not seem to fit is the complete G.I. Joe 21.

It seems like it was more opportunity as compared to what your preferences are.

I would say that, in general, I prefer standalone pieces (covers, splashes, commissions, pin-ups), with my favorite subjects being Vampirella and sword & sorcery characters (hence the ample representation of Conan, Red Sonja, Sojourn, etc.) Though, I will also branch out on occasion if a piece outside of my collecting focus comes up to which I have a strong attachment, and I would say the Joe #21 art was one of those occasions. I am not a Larry Hama collector, a war art collector or even a G.I. Joe art collector, but that book is one of my all-time favorites and came out within a year of when I started collecting, so I have very fond memories of it. In a similar fashion, I offered to buy a DPS from the Judge Dredd "Apocalypse War" storyline (another of my all-time favorites from early on in my collecting days but totally inconsistent with my current collecting focus) just last weekend (unfortunately, I was told the piece had just sold beforehand).

Just out of curiosity since you have made the move to original art how do you feel about comics and collecting them now?

Do you still collect comics?

I still read comics and buy/collect new issues, but I have given up on slabs and back issues for the most part. I generally buy TPBs or HCs if I am interested in a back issue; I have become all about the story & art content instead of the hunting, grading, buying, preserving, slabbing, etc. I realized a few years ago that it was the art and stories, as well as talking about them with fellow collectors, that interested me the most about comics and that finding/owning nice specimens was really not that important to me. That's not to knock comic collecting; I just think there are plenty of people who appreciate the hunt, opening up an old book and smelling the pages, and carefully preserving books more than I do.