• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did I do the right thing?

62 posts in this topic

31 to 1. I'd be pissed and probably just leave the negative feedback without asking for the refund; I don't really give a rip if people leave undeserved retaliatory feedback. This whole "my feedback and the feedback of all my sellers must be perfect" paranoia is a major contributor to making the entire feedback system largely useless. Some of the biggest criminals on E-Bay have some of the best feedback!

I have to leave heritage neg feedback right now. It will be interesting to see how they react.

I'd be pissed and probably just leave the negative feedback without asking for the refund;

Gee whiz James. If I should ever sell you something and you pay for insurance, you can bet I won't forget to insure your package. A little harsh don't you think? wink.gif

i totally agree..... TROLL!!!!! 27_laughing.gifacclaim.gif

Since I've got my head up Arch's butt and I'm Borock's right-hand man...you'd better watch yourself, pal. 893naughty-thumb.gif I've got executive permission to troll wicked people like you!!! mad.gif

have to leave heritage neg feedback right now. It will be interesting to see how they react.

Why, what happened?

And my guess is that they'll just pay ebay to "fix" it into a positive. makepoint.gif

Gee whiz James. If I should ever sell you something and you pay for insurance, you can bet I won't forget to insure your package. A little harsh don't you think? wink.gif

Well if nobody leaves negative feedback, what good is it? It's supposed to be to encourage buyers and sellers to correct their mistakes, but instead, an entirely unrealistic set of expectations have grown up around what is a deeply flawed system to make it even less useful than it inherently is. I might just make it neutral...dunno, depends on other factors in the communication via the auction and e-mails.

Well if nobody leaves negative feedback, what good is it? It's supposed to be to encourage buyers and sellers to correct their mistakes, but instead, an entirely unrealistic set of expectations have grown up around what is a deeply flawed system to make it even less useful than it inherently is. I might just make it neutral...dunno, depends on other factors in the communication via the auction and e-mails.

I have to agree with FF. Sometimes it is the principle. I would never have neg'd heritage except they didn't respond to any of my emails. I wasn't even asking for a refund just wanted to know how they deal with cracked slabs.

It gives me the [!@#%^&^]. Just because they are a big dealer doesn't mean that they can ignore my dollars. I have since bought from them but they are definitely persona non gratis now and i don't care how good some of their books are I will not buy from them again. 893frustrated.gif

This sounds like a grand opportunity to increase my profits...let's see...I will charge a discount rate of $1.00 per $50.00 of Rick Insurance and I will make it a requirement in my shipping terms...

Heck...I pack the item so there is no way for it to get damaged and I use priority mail w/delivery confirmation...hmmm.. this just might work.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

By the way...you should have refunded his money... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Here's my: Did I do the right thing?

I bought a comic graded by on E-bay for $900 a number of months ago. I had the book insured. The comic was packed with only a newspaper around the case and placed in a thinly insulated manila envelope. You get the idea. The CGC case I received was severely cracked but fortunately the comic was undamaged. I contacted the seller and asked him to refund fourty dollars so I could send the book to CGC and have it recased ($30 for round trip freight/insured

plus $10 for case replacement). I sent scans to the seller so he could see the damage. I had no problem if he checked with cGC customer service to make sure my story was real. The seller refused to pay for the recasement but was willing to take the book back for a full refund. I wanted the book and never considered returning the book. I really expected the seller to split the difference for the new case and would have accepted the compromise. I gave a negative feedback for the transaction detailing the problem. Upon later consideration I wondered if I should've left him a neutral since the book did show up. In ether case the readers could understand the problem. Other than non payments, this was the only negative feedback I've ever left. Did I do the right thing?

well that depends... did you get insurance on the item when you bought it? if so i would claim on it. you never know if the grade is going to be the same at CGC. you feel it will be but nothing is for sure and it could come back for a lot less. if you did not insure it because it wasnt an option, and you truly felt the buyer was negligent in shipping and packing, heck yea you should neg him if he wont split the costs with you . i sell here and there and i make a huge effort to pack well and get stuff in mail within 24 hours of payment. and as far as the other post about the insurance and the angry buyer, the seller is wrong, you should have refunded the 1.30 and as a side note you posted earlier that this has happened more than once. that makes two times. are there more? i dont doubt your ability to repay the buyers if the shipment is damaged but if you charge for insurance and dont buy it across the board, then you have built in a handy 1.30 profit on about 35% of sales. and that is wrong.

as far as the other post about the insurance and the angry buyer, the seller is wrong, you should have refunded the 1.30 and as a side note you posted earlier that this has happened more than once. that makes two times. are there more? i dont doubt your ability to repay the buyers if the shipment is damaged but if you charge for insurance and dont buy it across the board, then you have built in a handy 1.30 profit on about 35% of sales. and that is wrong.

As I said in my initial post I forgot a 2nd time to insure a package, but also noted that I did indeed refund the buyer's money without any hesitation. I don't make it a habit of not insuring packages. I mail out between 100 - 200 packages a week. I'm bound to mess up once in awhile, but I take responsibility for my mistakes.

I have a service oriented business and I'll ALWAYS let my customer solve a problem. This problem was solved by the customer with a refund. You didn't want to solve it, that's why you got the neg.

grin.gif

I personally think you're just a great guy who made the wrong decision. Happens to the best of us.

I would also want the money back, but it's $1.30 and it's not like he didn't receive the item. I think a negative is unwarranted, and even a neutral is a bit harsh.

DAM

I would also want the money back, but it's $1.30 and it's not like he didn't receive the item. I think a negative is unwarranted, and even a neutral is a bit harsh.

DAM

Valid comment. But, it is the customer's right and his decision.

Most definitely - he is out of his $1.30 which he did pay for it. I view insurance as a supplement to the item in question though, which is why I would probably leave a neutral if I was so inclined.

DAM

I'm bound to mess up once in awhile, but I take responsibility for my mistakes.

again, not having bought from you in the past, i believe you whole heartedly. everyone messes up once in a while. BUT from a buyers perspective, i usually dont even look at shipping material or packaging as long as the item got to me safely... UNLESS i have a reason to (justified or not). for example. i paid 7.00 for shipping on an item i think should have cost realistically about 5 to ship. then i am told that because of the value of the item i HAVE to buy insurance. again this is all hypothetical and does not imply you do this. but in this circumstance i would probably look at the shipping cost on the box just to see if i was gouged. And perhaps i was not gouged at all, but i still looked at price. now lets say that the shipping was right on the money but i notice there was no insurance at that point. my point is have you stopped to think what might have made the buyer even bother to look at the shipping and insurance costs in the first place? was he angry about your shipping costs as a whole? was insurance optional or mandatory? how was your packing? or was he just a person_without_enough_empathyer in general? perhaps something else pissed this cat off and he is just using the insurance as an excuse to be a ? just a thought.

First off, let me say I'm sure you truly forgot to purchase insurance. That said, do not underestimate the number of slime-bags on ebay who charge for insurance and intentionally do not purchase it. I've run into this situation quite a few times, from sellers I'm sure did not forget. I used to let this slide, but have begun asking for a refund on principle. Too many people try to get away with everything they can and need to be called on it. If I were you, I'd refund the buck-thirty. It's no skin off your nose--you made an honest mistake, the buyer has a right to ask for the money back (he paid for a service that was not provided), so just send him the money and make him happy. Not an unreasonable request.

Contrary boy here. 893frustrated.gif

You should have refunded the $1.30, because he expected something that you didn't provide.

That being said - I HATE when buyers add "insurance" to their payments. I just sent a buyer $1.50 in his package refunding the insurance money that he added to his purchase. I didn't ask for it, and now I would have to go stand in line at the USPS to send the package out. I have a good relationship with my postman, and he picks up my stuff here.

I self insure. I've sent maybe 10,000 packages out from eBay purchases since 1997.

Guess how many have been returned because the item was damaged during shipping.

FOUR - and two of those were, I'm positive, the buyer mashing the book when the package was opened.

You're wasting your money when you pay for "insurance" if your seller knows how to package. Tracking? That's different. Insurance is a scam from the USPS.

I agree with FF, the buyer should have left a neutral in this incident. It also looks like someone should develop a "self-destruct" mechanism or chip to insert into the item, so when the buyer decides to use feedback extortion, you just press the red button on the remote and blast his purchase to kingdom-come! grin.gif