• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heres the piece in question

64 posts in this topic

No, I really wanted the piece. I offered $2,200, he came back at $2350, I countered with $2300 and I think he took offense to that and told me the piece was no longer for sale to me. First time, I have ever had anything like that happen to me and I was pretty bummed.

Jim

No, I really wanted the piece. I offered $2,200, he came back at $2350, I countered with $2300 and I think he took offense to that and told me the piece was no longer for sale to me. First time, I have ever had anything like that happen to me and I was pretty bummed.

Jim

In the end, it's still haggling over 50 bucks. Seems he came down from 3000 to 2350, which is a big "discount" already, right?

These things happen. Don't worry about it. Live and learn.

Obviously there are alot of artists who's work i think is terrific, but they are either not well known or they are just now making a name for themselves.(Buzz and Josh Medors are two such people)

Josh must be making quite some buzz--the commission we contracted for at the beginning of March will (he tells me last week) be done in mid-August. Yikes!

yeah, seems a bit nitpicky to me...I can see why he was frustrated. If he had come back with $2330, would you have countered with $2315? And then, of course, you could also haggle over who covers the shipping costs...

Josh must be making quite some buzz--the commission we contracted for at the beginning of March will (he tells me last week) be done in mid-August. Yikes!

Hmmmm.....Mine was paid for in full before the end of February with a promise of the piece being finished by the second week of March. I am still waiting. According to Josh, the week before Pitt con, my piece is penciled but not inked.

I could have paid 1/2 and have it done by mid april.....but I paid in full for, ummm, expedited service.

Chris

Ed Benes and all these other "west coast style guys" I can't get into,I call it the jim lee style which is what it is.

27_laughing.gif True, but I still love it.

Greg Land is very good..can't find his covers around.

Dude, I have NO respect for Greg Land's work. He copies everything. Just look at this:

uff30cover.jpg

7132_press01-001.jpg

I understand that artists use references, but that Doom is an EXACT copy. Besides this cover, he "references" a lot of material.

Hey, if it's cool with you, to each his own. It just bothers me personally.

I understand that artists use references, but that Doom is an EXACT copy.

What do you mean EXACT copy? 893whatthe.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif893whatthe.gif

In the statue Doom is clearly looking at his left bicep and in the Land piece he is either checking out his crotch, Susan's sweet Zombie Tail...or both. makepoint.gif

I mean his face is turned a full 14 degrees to the right from the statue...that makes the piece totally different. foreheadslap.gif

Chris

I understand that artists use references, but that Doom is an EXACT copy. Besides this cover, he "references" a lot of material.

lol your going to be dissapointed in alot of artists AK,Someone like the Hilderbrant Bros (for example) where they takes his friends in and has them dress up in cloaks and what not and they paint them and that perfectly fine in the art world,you can't always draw from memory,your trying to create a "real world" around characters and an artist tries to get as accurate as possible to make that world look believeable.

Hmmmm.....Mine was paid for in full before the end of February with a promise of the piece being finished by the second week of March. I am still waiting. According to Josh, the week before Pitt con, my piece is penciled but not inked.

I could have paid 1/2 and have it done by mid april.....but I paid in full for, ummm, expedited service.

Chris

I was told end of March, having paid half......still waiting and yes, mine is penciled, awaiting inks....that's okay....I am sure I will be pleased with the finished product.

Okay. When you can draw from a pose then I suggest you can judge referencing from art purposes until then I suggest a little more tolerance on the subject, COI.

How do you know I can't? And don't tell me what is required to "judge" art. We all "judge" art, and decide what we like and don't like. I'm just giving my opinion of his work. I understand "referencing", but I just think that Land is too dependant on "references".

lol your going to be dissapointed in alot of artists AK,Someone like the Hilderbrant Bros (for example) where they takes his friends in and has them dress up in cloaks and what not and they paint them and that perfectly fine in the art world,you can't always draw from memory,your trying to create a "real world" around characters and an artist tries to get as accurate as possible to make that world look believeable.

I hear what you're saying. I don't have the pics handy, but Land has done this a little too excessivly, IMO. I've seen a ton of examples.

IMO there's a huge difference between drawing from a life model or some other "real" subject, and copying an image. That Dr. Doom is a fairly exact COPY of the 2-D image for that statue. Sure, I guess drawing what you see is an artistic talent...but no where NEAR as impressive as the ability to draw something off the top of your head. The technical skills are there, but sadly, there's no creativity...and first and foremost, art should be creative.

Although I think this thread is no longer mine, jjeanius you are right....$2500 on the Super Stories piece and $3000 for the cover of the Pulse #5.

As a side note to this story, I negotiated with Mike Mayhew himself last night on the cover to the Pulse #4, which IMO is a nicer piece, with a much nicer Gobby rendition. So I guess all does truly work out in the end.

Jim