• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree or higher grade?

Which book would you buy?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Which book would you buy?

33 posts in this topic

There are two Golden Age books, both are the same issue, both are CGC'd with the new label, and both for sale by the same reputable dealer.

Book A is 9.0 Crowley Pedigree, and is for sale for book value.

Book B is 9.2 Non-Pedigree, and is for sale for $25 over book.

The difference between Overstreet 9.0 and 9.2 is $91. Both are affordable to me.

Which one would you buy for long term (20 years+) investment?

For investment, I would buy the higher grade.

For my collection, I would buy the 9.0 pedigree

I think you also need to consider how long-term the investment is going to be. CGC may not be around forever, so the label may become irrelevant at some stage. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Which one do you like better? You're gonna have to live with it for the next 20 years.

Purely for investment i might have to go with the 9.0 pedigree - and i don't usually care one bit about a book's pedigree status. But the book will always be a pedigree, and one can't say with any certainty that the 9.2 will always be a 9.2. confused-smiley-013.gif

Both books were probably pressed, so buy the 9.0. Better value and a pedigree to boot! wink.gif

Vinyl is out, so please no more imitations.

Which one do you like better? You're gonna have to live with it for the next 20 years.

Purely for investment i might have to go with the 9.0 pedigree - and i don't usually care one bit about a book's pedigree status. But the book will always be a pedigree, and one can't say with any certainty that the 9.2 will always be a 9.2. confused-smiley-013.gif

I personally like the idea of a Pedigree better because of the story behind it, which I would assume would make a marketable difference down the road as well.

That's a great point about the 9.2 being a 9.2. All the input is very valuable and I appreciate all of it!

I always go with the better looking book except when there is a difference between 9.0 and 9.4. Than I go with the 9.4 unless it is a terrible miswrap. If the difference is 91.00 than all you have to worry about is if the book is centered. Post the pics here or PM them to me and i will help you.

Given what we have seen in resubs, is there really that much difference between a 9.0 and a 9.2?

Buy the Ped and resub it. Of course you could press it first but I'm sure you would have a good chance of it coming back a 9.2 even without ironing.

Ubie X

Crowley is a second-tier pedigree. The poll would have been more interesting if the pedigree had been Church (Mile High). Church books routinely go for 2x - 4x guide. From an investment standpoint as well as a quality standpoint, the Church book would be the better buy.