• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scaled back my pull list

32 posts in this topic

I have been getting between 80-100 books each month for about the past year. I was in my LCS over the weekend and was having a conversation with a friendly customer, when the topic of Teen Titans came up, in particular the ending to the latest issue. For the life of me, I couldn't remember what happened until he showed it to me.

At that point, I realized I was getting too many moderns. If I can't remember what's going on in an arc, what good is it to buy a current storyline?

Anyway, I just wanted to share this. Anyone else suffer from TMM (Too Many Moderns)?

I have been getting between 80-100 books each month for about the past year. I was in my LCS over the weekend and was having a conversation with a friendly customer, when the topic of Teen Titans came up, in particular the ending to the latest issue. For the life of me, I couldn't remember what happened until he showed it to me.

At that point, I realized I was getting too many moderns. If I can't remember what's going on in an arc, what good is it to buy a current storyline?

Anyway, I just wanted to share this. Anyone else suffer from TMM (Too Many Moderns)?

Same here.

I woudl find book I hadnt read in weeks waiting for me sometimes

I get about 80-100 too. I forced to make a job change and my financials were impacted. I have dropped down significantly. In some cases, I'm pretty happy with dropping titles I should have done a long time ago. But it is still hard to keep the number of titles down. A lot of good stuff and ridiculous prices.

Pat

I get between 10-15 and sometimes I need to speed up on reading because I read a lot of TPBs to. BTW, that monthlies are only the ones that I really care about and want to read... buying more is a no-brainer for me because there's nothing more that I want to read.

I'm down to about 10-15 too. Sure is nice to have money each month for trades or hardcovers or older Bronze books. I love many of the stories going on in the moderns, but it's easier to buy them in trade format or skip 'em altogether.

Worse comes to worse, the majority of Moderns can be bought months down the road more cheaply then buying off the shelf. Only the really hot titles, some odd variants etc. will cost you more. Those seem to cool off eventually. There are exceptions of course, at that point you can go with trades.

Worse comes to worse, the majority of Moderns can be bought months down the road more cheaply then buying off the shelf. Only the really hot titles, some odd variants etc. will cost you more. Those seem to cool off eventually. There are exceptions of course, at that point you can go with trades.

That's why I can't imagine buying new books off the shelf anymore.

Well, I am kinda a condition freak. I like to cherry pick my copies but since I now have to order online....well, I can't do that anymore. So, now I am back to tapering my list and waiting until I can get a book second hand.

Edit: Also, I will make a trip to a comic book store if I hear a book is a great read and it isn't on my list.

I had to alter the way I read comics to keep up. When I was reading them as they came out, I'd have to sometimes re-read the previous issue or two to get a refresher, cause i'd've forgotten most of what had happened. Having to re-read two books for every 1 that came out made it hard to keep up with the 60-80 books/month I typically buy.

I now wait long periods of time before reading large chunks of a book at once. Sometimes that gets out of control. I have entire runs of Ex Machina and Y the Last Man from issue 1 to current that I haven't read, 20 some odd issues of Stray Bullets, 30 issues of Fables... I could make the switch to trades, but for some books I started on singles so I keep that up. Many books, like Walking Dead an Invincible, I started on trades, so that's how they've continued.

Just tone it down to what you really like. My problem is I read too much when the "Big Events" happen. Like this summer with the Prelude to IC and all those freaking minis and tie-ins, plus HoM, and all the Marvel goodnees it was getting to be alot.

Oddly enough, I keep better track of what is going on in the longer waiting books....Ultimates, Astonishing, better than most of the monthlies..

I now wait long periods of time before reading large chunks of a book at once. Sometimes that gets out of control.

I'm in the same scenario. I like to read 6/8/12 issues together so I wait, and when I have some, I read them. But, when I've bought a new title, I need to read it, specially when is a #1, I need to read two or three to see if there's good or not. I have a budget and I need to control it.

First rule for me...

cut out the mini-series, unless it really needs to be read ie Infinite Crisis or Civil War. This has saved me a ton on money. From there on, I cut down to books I will actually READ!, and a lot of that depends on the creative teams. As someone mentioned earlier, you can pick up the 'common' issues in .50 bins all day long. Flash was an example I thought of. When Johns left, I just skipped the last remaining issues as I know I can buy them for much less than cover price.

Another good way to help cut back is force yourself to pick 20 titles. Put them in order of what you are reading 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc, each week. Those books towards the bottom of the pile often get dropped eventually anyways...

just some random thoughts...

If you're buying 80-100 titles a month, your apartment is obviously bigger than mine!

Cutting back seems like a good idea, as you could probably buy a copy of Amazing Spiderman #1 every year for the money you've been spending on moderns. Just a thought. confused-smiley-013.gif

That's assuming that you want to buy strictly for investment purposes. I understand your logic, but most Modern readers buy to read. Not to invest in older books. I'm a medium line for both. I read Moderns like a mofo and collect Silver Age Marvels to dabble in that spectrum.

Pat

Actually, investment purposes was and is the last thing on my mind...just suggesting another way to think about the money you're budgeting for comics if you're spending that much a month. 80-100 titles a month is just more than I can fathom buying, let alone reading! But by all means, you should collect what you like, no question. thumbsup2.gif

I'm thinking of saling back as well.

80-100 books per month? Wow! That's alot! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I've got roughly 20 and I think that's way too many.

I've got roughly 2 and I think that's way too many.

poke2.gif