• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage auctions

15 posts in this topic

I don't get it? So many of the comics they're selling are the same comics sold in the last couple of auctions. Many didn't seem to have a reserve? I can't see buyers trying to flip them that fast plus the 22.5% buyers premium insane.gif I mean, their are 3 copies of Strange Adventures #1 ebay link Whats the point? Gezz, i just got my copy back from being CGC'ed and it got an 8.5... I guess i should wait to sell it 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't get it? So many of the comics they're selling are the same comics sold in the last couple of auctions. Many didn't seem to have a reserve? I can't see buyers trying to flip them that fast plus the 22.5% buyers premium insane.gif I mean, their are 3 copies of Strange Adventures #1 ebay link Whats the point? Gezz, i just got my copy back from being CGC'ed and it got an 8.5... I guess i should wait to sell it 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Because Heritage feels (and they are right to a certain extent) that three copies of a particular issue graded differently will have three different and distinct buyers. In this case, the grades are too close for that to be true, but if they were a 5.0, 8.0 and a 9.2 in most cases the people going after each one are going to be different. Also, if you go for one of the other issues and get outbid, you might be tempted to try your luck at another.

Agreed, 3 different issues of say Captain Marvel Adventures 18, in 9.4, 8.0 and 5.0 would attract your uber grade chaser, your refined and your classic type collectors. I collect anything 8.0-9.0 simply for the fact that they are seriously nice looking and are affordable. A person collecting a 5.0 might be picking up a nice reader to match and already existing book of higher grade(you don't feel guilty cracking the slab at this grade unless it is a ultra-tough book. Anyone collecting a 9.2 and up is going for an ultimate type of collection with near-off the newstand rack quality books.

I don't see where this is happening with a good batch of the books. Though, there might be a market for 2-9.2 CMA #18. Though, I believe it ultimately diludes the selling price when this happens.

So are people trying to flip the books that fast or did they really not sell the first time (or second or third) around?

I'd guess the latter. Shilling + not selling (winning your own books) = relisting.

You know, by shilling in such a manner, if it is indeed being done.... wouldn't that artificially inflate the books price via GPAnalysis?

Of course. smile.gif But I always take GPA with a grain of salt...it's a fantastic tool but it is very easy to manipulate...

Same could be said pretty much for any auction house where you cant vie the people bidding, and even when you can (Ebay) who is to say that there is no shilling involved.

Same could be said pretty much for any auction house where you cant vie the people bidding, and even when you can (Ebay) who is to say that there is no shilling involved.

We all know that shilling occurs with every auction venue. The advantage of shilling on E-Bay is that they charge you less to win your books back. Does anyone believe that comic auctions are totally honest? Somewhat honest? a bit honest? (poll anyone?).

Regarding books that don't sell very often, how does one determine the price to pay? Look for a small amount of history and assume the bidding is real? I guess.

Are sales on Heritage real? Is the house buying inventory (less the vig) to take books off the market and create the illusion that the books are selling? the selling price is creating a market price for the book. IT also creates the illusion that books are very liquid.

WE are dealing in a grey area when we are dealing with posted comic sales. The final sales price is creating a perception of the books worth. Is perception reality?

Some what off topic, but should I try to sell my copy of Strange Adventures #1 CGC 8.5 OW/W pages long with the other 3 that are being offered by Heritage? I mean, mine wouldn't have the 22.5% buyer’s premium 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Or should I sell it in the fall?

We all know that shilling occurs with every auction venue. The advantage of shilling on E-Bay is that they charge you less to win your books back. Does anyone believe that comic auctions are totally honest? Somewhat honest? a bit honest? (poll anyone?).

Regarding books that don't sell very often, how does one determine the price to pay? Look for a small amount of history and assume the bidding is real? I guess.

Are sales on Heritage real? Is the house buying inventory (less the vig) to take books off the market and create the illusion that the books are selling? the selling price is creating a market price for the book. IT also creates the illusion that books are very liquid.

WE are dealing in a grey area when we are dealing with posted comic sales. The final sales price is creating a perception of the books worth. Is perception reality?

Here is one example.... Star Spangled comics #84 CGC 9.4 sold for $1035 and now its up for sale again up for auction again

and to date, this is the highest and only copy in 9.4!!! Only sold once befoe too.

It is similar to the churning of stocks that take place in the stock market. Take a low value stock get a few investor friends to repeatedly buy and sell and then share in the final rewards.

Reserves have now been disclosed. It looks like a lot of reserves on re-listed books have been ratcheted down. Either a dose of reality or... dare I say it?