• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the SCOOP on "Making the Grade"

16 posts in this topic

Basically, it boils down to this definition:

A comic books is restored if it can be detected that it was changed from its original condition.

So, if you can't detect it, it must not be restored. Oh, the hairs that have been split!!!

I assume Matts comment about " Restoration includes anything that is traceable" is just a slick way of saying pressing is not resto?

This pov seems to be very handy if you are pro pressing.

2 scenarios come to mind.

#1 "Pressing a book is not resto, it is no different then storing a comic for 30 years under a stack of heavy books., why should pro/amateur pressing be considered resto if you cannot tell the difference?"

#2 "Well sure..if we could tell it was intentionally pressed and not just stored in a stack of heavy books 90% of the time..then sure..it's a form of resto, without a doubt. But we cant..so its not, so there.

etc..etc..etc.

Its the perfect little moneymaker!!

Ze-

Wish I could flatten my stomach 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Say if I get a tummy tuck is that considered resto poke2.gif

As long as you dont ADD staples.. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Basically, it boils down to this definition:

A comic books is restored if it can be detected that it was changed from its original condition.

So, if you can't detect it, it must not be restored. Oh, the hairs that have been split!!!

Yeah, just like murder is only murder if you get caught. Makes sense.

Pressing = Murder

Yikes, kinda harsh analogy, dontcha think

I dont like the word pressing, or flattening, I look at it more like grooming the book 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wonder how many heads will explode when they read these following quotes? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As long as restored books sell at a discount, a great investment area is buy key books that have had excellent work performed on them because eventually all books will have restoration.

Second, comics are ticking along on the clock that leads to browning, brittleness, chipping, and ultimately, disintegration is we don't do something to intervene.

I wonder how many heads will explode when they read these following quotes? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Second, comics are ticking along on the clock that leads to browning, brittleness, chipping, and ultimately, disintegration is we don't do something to intervene.

The funny thing is, a good friend of mine got out of the hobby a few years ago after he realized that all his books were disintegrating! 27_laughing.gif

The quote does sound familiar? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Fear leads to Anger. Anger leads to Hate. Hate leads to suffering. frown.gif

I like this one about trying to explain why staple replacement is not so bad:

"It's like those insufficiently_thoughtful_person CGC collectors, it is the comic that is the value, not the plastic slab."

I like this one about trying to explain why staple replacement is not so bad:

"It's like those insufficiently_thoughtful_person CGC collectors, it is the comic that is the value, not the plastic slab."

Yeah, I'll be rushing out to spend money with that guy.

Even though pressing does remove very small defects in a book, such as non-color breaking dents in a cover, or a slight spine roll, the same effect can be achieved by placing a book under heavy objects.

Shouldn't people (Matt Nelson in this case) be strung up for propagating pure BS like this?