• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NSH GA RESULTS - 5 to 1

142 posts in this topic

# 5 - Crime SuspenStories 22

Total Points - 104

# of votes - 18

# of 1st place vote - 2 (PreCodeKeith, 1rst&Keys)

PreCodeKeith tells us:"Not only does the piece speak for itself artistically, it carries with it notoriety as well. Any cover called out on the carpet & requiring explanation by the publisher during a government investigation is going to garner itself a heavyweight reputation. Gaines had his feet held to the fire over this masterpiece more than any other cover art. To me, this work is the epitome of the mature direction that comics were trying to take at the time. This cover stands for how "bad" comics were, but also how great they could have been ."

1193925-NGAC-CrimeSuspenstories22.jpg

# 4 - Spirit 22

Total Points - 144

# of votes - 25

# of 1st place vote - 2 (CW, Seank)

CW tells us:"Her name is Skinny Bones and she's To Die For. It is hard to discuss an Eisner book without mentioning the contents but to simply see this cover is to understand its allure. Unlike many covers that rely on plethoric amounts of detail, this one is as simple as it is beautiful. Will Eisner used contemporary actress Lauren Bacall as his platinum blonde muse for this piece; plus one red dress, one knife, a sultry expression, and a whole lot of leg. The simple blue background makes the image jump directly at the reader. Unfortunately for the Spirit this is easily the most memorable cover in the 22 issue run and the only one without the Spirit on it (Go figure). The New York Legislature committee used this cover in a 1950's investigation of the ill affects of Comic books. I'll leave you with the words of a Heritage Auctions description which I find very appropriate "This is easily one of the sexiest covers in the entire history of of our hobby."

1193953-NGAC-Spirit22.jpg

# 3 - Startling 49

Total Points - 193

# of votes - 34

# of 1st place vote - 5 (thedude, flipper, Apotheosis, toro, osborn_france)

PedrigreeMan tells us: "Is there another cover that incorporates and epitomizes so many of the classic comic book elements of its time? In this deceptively simple cover one finds the obvious genres of science fiction and GGA (which forgoes the ubiquitous headlight elements for a subtle yet still gratuitous panty shot), but also gets a sense of the mystery ("Featuring Lance Lewis, Space Detective!"), romance (boy rescues girl, which is a tale as old as time) and jungle or even western (the rugged, outdoor setting) domains. Add to this the fact that it's drawn in a unique style by one of the GA's greatest artists, how can you go wrong?"

1193956-NGAC-Startling49.jpg

Regarding Timulty and the Spirit #22

Too bad you couldn't vote on it because of such a small point. In actuality it is considered a crime comic by the larger auction houses. He does indeed wear a mask but then so do the Green Hornet and the Lone Ranger whom I do not consider super heroes.He doesn't climb buildings or swing through the city on a grappling hook. Eitherway, If you interpreted the rules of the contest differently you may have seen it as a matter of Covers with Super Heroes on them versus those without. This book doesn't have a Super hero on the cover.

Go Pound Sand

Funny you should mention that. I spent this morning digging postholes.

# 2 - Weird Science-Fantasy 29

Total Points - 194

# of votes - 28

# of 1st place vote - 9 (blutobc, houseofcomics, Jeffreykli, 143ksk, Theagenes, Zipper68, rob_react, JBud73, Adamstrange)

1193969-NGAC-WeirdScienceFantasy29.jpg

# 2 - Weird Science-Fantasy 29

Total Points - 194

# of votes - 28

# of 1st place vote - 9 (blutobc, houseofcomics, Jeffreykli, 143ksk, Theagenes, Zipper68, rob_react, JBud73, Adamstrange)

1193969-NGAC-WeirdScienceFantasy29.jpg

#2? I demand a recount! poke2.gif

1193956-NGAC-Startling49.jpg

I know it's too each their own and I hate to dispute others tastes, but I'd like this a lot better if it didn't look like it was drawn by a 10 year old. Considering the standard of artwork in general on these covers, this one leaves me a bit frozen and I've never understood the appeal.

That said, it garnered a lot of (first place) votes and I'm sure I'm in a tiny minority. Again.