• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NSH GA RESULTS - 5 to 1

142 posts in this topic

I made the mistake of not keeping my votes - Scrooge, feel free to post mine in both. Clearly there's no love for Fiction House books. Which means I should be able to get the rest of them cheap! grin.gif

I made the mistake of not keeping my votes - Scrooge, feel free to post mine in both. Clearly there's no love for Fiction House books. Which means I should be able to get the rest of them cheap! grin.gif

1. Fight Comics 32

2. Startling Comics 46

3. Fairy Tale Parade 1

4. Startling Comics 49

5. Wings Comics 89

6. Wings Comics 91

7. Jungle Comics 100

8. Crime Suspenstories 22

9. Crime Suspenstories 20

10. Famous Funnies 213 (although all of them are good)

Feel free to post mine too. It might make FD feel better. At least, I hope my memory is off!!!

Here you go

TIMULTY - THE POSTIFICATOR'S TOP 10 NON-SUPERHERO PICKS

1. Adventure Comics #37

2. New Adventure Comics #26

3. Detective Comics #9

4. Weird Science Fantasy #29

5. Fairy Tale Parade #3

6. Startling Comics #49

7. Wings Comics #90

8. Wings Comics #91

9. Mask Comics #2

10. Punch Comics #12

Count me in the crowd that just doesn't get Weird Science Fantasy 29. I always considered that cover to be too busy... I find Famous Funnies 213 and 214 to be far superior work by Frazetta.

here's Mrs. Scrooge NSH vote:

1 - Four Color 103

2 - Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 48

3 - Dynamic 8

4 - Four Color 178

5 - Spirit 22

6 - Cave Girl 11 (#1)

7 - Detective 15

8 - Four Color 386

9 - Shadow v.3 # 11

10 - Military 18

I am sure she threw in FC 386 because it's an important book in our household and knows that I like the Shadow so she threw that one in as well. I was surprised she liked the Cave Girl 11 as I had nominated it. Provided a perfect excuse for me to buy a copy last week ( in tomorrow's mail)

She surprised me with her fascination with Dynamic 8 and it was interesting she voted for one of the early 'Tec as well. I can't recall her rationale for Spirit but she might have recognized Eisner's work.

Thanks -- I thought that I'd have more votes in common with her. Another expectation shattered!

The idea of having "an important book in our household" is foreign to me. I wonder what my wife would pick if she looked at the galleries and "none of the above" were not an option.

Jack

Thanks to Scrooge, Norrin and Fred for an excellent contest - but I don't see my name in the FR scoring or some of the books I nominated in the master list for either catagory. What happened?

I was late to the party (my votes didn't count) but here are my picks anyways (in order, top left being #1):

ignsh.jpg

I based my criteria on overall aesthetic appeal leaning towards composition/color & even how well the logo works with the art, but on this round the actual art played heavily in my decisions.

Here are mine:

1.Weird Science-Fantasy 29 - Frazetta was just so far ahead of everyone else and this cover really illustrates that. No one else had the kind of dynamic fluidity in their figures that you see here. This is one of those books that I have to pull out every now and then and just stare at mesmerized.

2.Slave Girl Comics 1 - I'm surprised that there's not more love for this book with all the GGA fans here.

3.Detective 8

4.Startling Comics 49

5.Suspense 3

6.Fight Comics 39 - I really dig the pulpy, film noir feel of this cover, not to mention Senorita Rio's smoking guns...err... I mean gun.

7.Sparkler 14 - Best Tarzan cover EVA!!

8.Adventure 37 - I love this cover, but to be honest I like it better as Double Action. It's a logo thing.

9.Crime Suspenstories 20

10. Mask Comics 1

Also, I was glad to see a couple of the books I nominated like WS 21 and Man O' Mars get votes even though I didn't vote them myself. They would have been somewhere in my 11-15 though.

7.Sparkler 14 - Best Tarzan cover EVA!!

I'm glad you like that one. 893applaud-thumb.gif Indeed it's a great Burne Hogarth cover. When I nominated that cover, I was not expecting much votes since some might view it more like a comic strip reprint than a "real" comic book.

SparklerComics14.jpg

Wow, that's a great cover! The feature boxes on the left hurt it a little, but the linework on the main art is beautiful. (It's kind of funny how the woman in red looks more annoyed than scared, though!)

Man O' Mars.

headbang.gif

headbang.gif and a yay.gif

ManofMars1.jpg

Here is another of my "dark horse" nominees that unfortunately didn't get any votes. It's sort of the red-headed stepchild of Frazetta covers but I thought it deserved a nomination simply on it's outstanding foreshortening technique, something that many GA artists, even the top names, had difficulty with. Just another example of how far ahead of many of his peers Frazetta was.

StraightArrow3.jpg